Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arlene Foster at it again...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

You'd wonder what mental gymnastics people are performing in that they mark Killmichael as a proud moment for the IRA and yet decry Warren Point as 'terrorism'.

I mean, were the British Army in Ireland bad guys in the 1920's and good guys in the 1970's?

Well, for a start, the British at Kilmichael had a chance to fight back. They got to look their enemy in the face and go toe to toe and took their chances. The British killed at Warrenpoint had no such chance, from a bomb initiated in the South.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,745 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Well, for a start, the British at Kilmichael had a chance to fight back. They got to look their enemy in the face and go toe to toe and took their chances. The British killed at Warrenpoint had no such chance, from a bomb initiated in the South.

No different to a bomb from a plane or a Cruise missile or shoot to kill and collusion.

Conflict/war is nasty horrible stuff, there is no such thing as an honourable or clean one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

walshb wrote: »
    Seriously,

are you being deliberately obtuse here?

If that was a Unionist reminding us of the "successful" SAS mission in Gibraltar for example, would that be ok as well?

dont they do that every year with their marching? my point stands - warrenpoint changed how the british army ran itself in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Any feedback on Arlene's rebuke of Coveney by the government/oyalists pardon the pun? Of are executions of catholics and the non investigation of said catholics alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Well, for a start, the British at Kilmichael had a chance to fight back.

So tactically it wasn't as successful? I suppose so..

• Advertisement

The problem with that logic is that when the IRA decide that policemen, prison officers, reservists, judges, lawyers, civil servants and civilians who had the misfortune to have the wrong religion are also defined as valid targets. That logic also applied to the Irish Army and Gardai and Revenue and Customs, when it suited the IRA (or versions thereof). The immediate problem of that catch-all policy is that "innocents" get caught in the crossfire, so to speak. So, if it was just as simple as two armed forces going toe to toe, it'd have been over decades ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Sinn Fein still fighting the war through the likes of Stanley. They haven't gone away you know, remember that next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭baldbear

She's right here. And the TD did delete and apologise.
    The North is full of toxicity and one side glorifying killings achieves nothing but division.

No different to a bomb from a plane or a Cruise missile or shoot to kill and collusion.

Conflict/war is nasty horrible stuff, there is no such thing as an honourable or clean one.

Not the same. The element of using a supposedly neutral, friendly state as the firing point and subsequent place of retreat of the firers raises the political bar and effectively drags the Republic into the event. The Republic didn't exist at Kilmichael and that event involved no more than a couple of dozen people. Warrenpoint was on a greater scale, altogether, when you add the political element to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Funny thing, I thought Arlene doesn't do twitter. I've never seen her condemn bonfires burning the irish flag, posters of nationalists. etc. As for the next election, I'm sure people will remember all the fcucks ups from ffg rather than a tweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,745 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not the same. The element of using a supposedly neutral, friendly state as the firing point and subsequent place of retreat of the firers raises the political bar and effectively drags the Republic into the event. The Republic didn't exist at Kilmichael and that event involved no more than a couple of dozen people. Warrenpoint was on a greater scale, altogether, when you add the political element to it.

The Republic is only involved because you want to drag them into it. Pretty sure by the way those 'firers' would have reckoned they were in their own country firing at a foreign force in their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Stovepipe wrote:
    The Republic didn't exist at Kilmichael

It did. The ambush at Kilmichael was carried out by members of the IRA who were acting under the authority of the Irish Republic proclaimed in 1916 and declared in 1919.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1181287/

Complains about Laois/Offaly TD's tweet on the Kilmicheal ambush and plans to write to our Ceann Comhairle.

Is she right or should she just fcuk right off?

I mean it couldn't be any worse than marching through the streets of NI every year, reminding people of some stupid battle in the 1600s.

Arlene should have kept her mouth shut,what did she expect from Sinn Fein?

Everyone knows that all SF TDS support murder and provide plenty of evidence whenever the mask slips,it it far better to just recognise the party for what it is.

It is not long since they refused to recognise the irish army,police and courts and no matter what they say now they still feel the same,i.e that they are the legitimate government!!!
    The Waterford td screaming up the RA,the clown with the sliced pan on his head in the North of Ireland and ADAMS praising tax fiddler Slab Murphy and of course the party feting the "heroes! who murderd Jerry McCabe (when there was supposed to be a cease fire)
    Any person with even a cursory interest in politics should be aware of what SF stand for and the total disregard they have for the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

baldbear wrote: »
    She's right here. And the TD did delete and apologise.
    The North is full of toxicity and one side glorifying killings achieves nothing but division.

They always apologize after. Like that Kingsmill bread councillor 'joke'. No sincerity though, because they believe in the cause no
    matter how the political landscape has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

So drones and missiles shouldn't be used, ambushes to be done away with, no more clandestine missions, a hail fellow well met greeting before agreeing to a round of bullets, nonsense really, if you're in the uniform and deployed you're battle ready whether in the middle east or in northern Ireland, tough shìt imo if you end up on the wrong side of a bullet or a bomb while in a country you have no business being in

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The paras just shot randomly across the border and murdered an innocent civilian in retaliation

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭KarlMarks

What's the issue here with the outrage over the tweet??. Warrenpoint was a legitimate military action against a foreign invading force on this island. An action that should be celebrated by all Irish Republicans and seen as a victory against colonialism, capitalism, and the cosy status quo.

The Kingsmill Loaf incident was actually offensive as it appeared to make light of what was a sickening sectarian atrocity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

So, if it was just as simple as two armed forces going toe to toe, it'd have been over decades ago.

It's unlikely we'd have an independent 26 counties if it was two armed forces going 'toe-to-toe'. You expect the Provisional IRA to go toe-to-toe with the British Army but it was okay for the IRA of the 20's to assassinate, ambush and disappear people?

It's amusing watching people tie themselves up in knots over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭KarlMarks

It's unlikely we'd have an independent 26 counties if it was two armed forces going 'toe-to-toe'. You expect the Provisional IRA to go toe-to-toe with the British Army but it was okay for the IRA of the 20's to assassinate, ambush and disappear people?

It's amusing watching people tie themselves up in knots over this.

It's the sickening thing about Free Staters. They were cosy enough with the status quo and running their own little state as they saw fit, while passing the odd platitude about history while ignoring what was going on up the road. Shower of traitors to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I'm no fan of what the IRA have done over the years but I see nothing wrong with taking on and killing British soldiers in an active hot zone where theres a chance they'll come under attack, as far I'm concerned members of the crown forces in a foreign country should expect to be fair game, once that uniform is on consider yourself a target

Nothing wrong with taking on and killing British soldiers, really Stihl waters and with who's authority would you kill them?
    The Irish State? No,
    The Irish people? No,
    The Provisional IRA Yes

You're quite the barstool Republican hardman, aren't you :rolleyes:

It's this kind of poisoned thinking that perpetuates the myth the the Provos were in some way fighting a war against a foreign power, when in reality the PIRA were nothing but a bunch of murdering scum who brought nothing but death sorrow, and division to so many on this island.

How many died that day?
    Emergency personnel up ladders picking bits of bodies out of trees for hours after the murders.

How many died so that this Sinn Fein upstart Stanley could tweet his smart arse bile and get away with it. As if I didn't hate Sinn Fein enough, and now this, I tell ya, if that Stanley fella ever comes near my hall door I .....

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with taking on and killing British soldiers, really Stihl waters and with who's authority would you kill them?
    The Irish State? No,
    The Irish people? No,
    The Provisional IRA Yes

It's this kind of poisoned thinking that perpetuates the myth the the Provos were in some way fighting a war against a foreign power, when in reality the PIRA were nothing but a bunch of murdering scum who brought nothing but death sorrow, and division to so many on this island.

How many died that day?
    Emergency personnel up ladders picking bits of bodies out of trees for hours after the murders.

How many died so that this Sinn Fein upstart Stanley could tweet his smart arse bile and get away with it. As if I didn't hate Sinn Fein enough, and now this, I tell ya, if that Stanley fella ever comes near my hall door I .....

Tough shìt, they weren't on a sun holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

The Irish State? No,
    The Irish people? No,
    The Provisional IRA Yes

How many died that day?

The British government saw nothing wrong with unleashing the parachute regiment to murder innocent Irish civilians. In fact so impressed was the British establishment with the carnage they brought that they saw fit to commend them. Is a reason why a popular school yard chant directed towards British soldiers in the 1980s was 18 brits blown to bits

Tough shìt, they weren't on a sun holiday

Tough **** you say.

The divisions on this island obviously run very deep. You're Irish, I'm Irish, I hate everything the PROVOs did or said, and you obviously support them and their murdering ways.

Kilmichael and Crossbarry WERE direct combat against armed soldiers. Both sides knew the consequence.

Tough **** you say.

The divisions on this island obviously run very deep. You're Irish, I'm Irish, I hate everything the PROVOs did or said, and you obviously support them and their murdering ways.

I'll leave you to your ignorant beliefs

I'll leave you to your ignorant beliefs

Well you supported the murders that day, so others can make up their minds as to who's ignorant.

I'm pro life and pro dialogue, but I am not and never have been pro planting bombs and murdering people according to what a terrorist organisation might order. We the Irish people never agreed or ordered the murder of those soldiers, or Lord Mountbatten, or the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Sammy Wilson doing what he does best. Quiet a few big supporter in here I'd imagine.

https://twitter.com/eastantrimmp/status/1333485393719783432?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

smurgen wrote: »
    Sammy Wilson doing what he does best. Quiet a few big supporter in here I'd imagine.

https://twitter.com/eastantrimmp/status/1333485393719783432?s=19

Certain posters will be on here to defend this bigot. I wonder will any our govt complain about this tweet, would not bet on it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Any time civilians die its wrong.

The British army was a legitimate target though and weren't shy about pulling the trigger themselves back then or even these days either so I'm not seeing what all the outrage is about.

Mountbatten wasn't much of a loss either but the death of the two kids was a tragedy.

• Advertisement

The British army was a legitimate target though and weren't shy about pulling the trigger themselves back then or even these days either so I'm not seeing what all the outrage is about.

Mountbatten wasn't much of a loss either but the death of the two kids was a tragedy.

Who said the army was a legitimate target? Who said Lord Mountbatten was a legitimate target?and who said the kids and the Nanny were expendable?

Answer; The Provisional IRA, an illegal terrorist organisation answerable to nobody but themselves.

Advertisement