Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pyracantha

• 23-11-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Plan to plant some pyracantha in the hope of providing some winter berries for the birds and a possible nesting shrub. Goona grow it on wires up against a wall. If anyone has any suggestions on particular varieties garden birds favour , I would appreciate it. We have a crab apple planted and we have ivy on the other walls so think this would fit in nicely

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Having grown it, I would recommend the variety 'Orange Glow'. It is well suited to growing up next to a wall or wire as you might be intending to do. It is as tough as old boots and apart from a great crop of bright berries that the birds are certainly drawn to, it also is a fantastic attractor of pollinators in the early summer. Bees in particular seem to love its blossom.
    The thorny nature of the shrub also can provide good nesting cover for small birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Goldfinch8 wrote: »
    Having grown it, I would recommend the variety 'Orange Glow'. It is well suited to growing up next to a wall or wire as you might be intending to do. It is as tough as old boots and apart from a great crop of bright berries that the birds are certainly drawn to, it also is a fantastic attractor of pollinators in the early summer. Bees in particular seem to love its blossom.
    The thorny nature of the shrub also can provide good nesting cover for small birds.

Thanks for that. I'm leaning more towards red berries to match up with our crab apple but I've seen Orange glow mentioned a couple of times when I've looked this up on the internet. Seems to be one of those plants like ivy that have a lot to offer

Advertisement