Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gender Identity in Modern Ireland (Mod warnings and Threadbanned Users in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I wish I had saved the tweet but there was one a year or so ago from a big handsome Irish gay lad who said on twitter that the reality is when it comes down to it that gay men love good big solid c)ck. He said it in the context of transmen using gay dating apps and expecting interest. I suppose dating apps are real life in that they lead to real life stuff? It was a good and honest tweet from a person who knows the truth of things for the majority of guys using the apps.
    How does 1 person represent the majority?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

km991148 wrote: »
    I just had a 20 minute conversation on a hypothetical couple splitting up and one partner turning attacker and who is being accused of being transphobic.

Are smart comments only allowed if directed at me btw?

You did indeed. The thread is 82 pages long. I know that takes a commitment to read through. I would judge nobody for baulking. However, that means you can’t really make any proclamations about the various bits of information provided by people. You can make a judgement on a tiny proportion of those 82 pages. That’s it.

Gatling wrote: »
    But when could be considered /construed a hate crime your preference goes out the door ,If someone decides your not interested in because they are a self identifying male or female

I dont know of any jurisduction that considers it a hate crime to state your preference you want to have sex with cis people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

You really think that most gay men - the majority being anywhere over 50% - are in any way ambivalent about liking penis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

You did indeed. The thread is 82 pages long. I know that takes a commitment to read through. I would judge nobody for baulking. However, that means you can’t really make any proclamations about the various bits of information provided by people. You can make a judgement on a tiny proportion of those 82 pages. That’s it.

I've followed this from the start. I've read every post. There has been hypothesis and much anecdote. That does not mean there has been no evidence or studies.

• Advertisement

It does, 'apparently'?

I need to start seeing some real quantative numbers on this one. I've searched around in this one.. it really does seem like an old internet tale.

I know. Same. Im not aware of any hate crime in relation to what is being discussed.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

LOL

Don't trivialise my statement by adding 'sure it will grand'.

I'm not a policymaker. I don't know what harm reduction already is in place (to stop the rare female abusers for example).

You could argue third space, you could also look at self ID. Harsher penalities, more awareness. Just because I don't know an answer for subbing, spent mean to say I'm saying **** it.. let the abuse begin.

It’s good that you take it seriously. Many don’t. Women are routinely dismissed or called bigoted for expressing these concerns. I had a close friend call me a TERF in person in 2020 for doing so. Fun times.

I dont know of any jurisduction that considers it a hate crime to state your preference you want to have sex with cis people.

Or that you don't want to continue a relationship with someone because they start identifying as trans.

I've followed this from the start. I've read every post. There has been hypothesis and much anecdote. That does not mean there has been no evidence or studies.

Then it’s odd that you said this:
    Posting any sort of smart sounding quote about "evidence".. on this thread.. without irony?

Bravo!

• Advertisement

Then it’s odd that you said this:

Yes, and your point is?

These posts are not contradictory. I'm saying there is a lack of evidence at times, not completely, but sometimes.

As you pointed out - it's a big thread.

If you want to attack me, there are easier things to have a go at me for, it's not hard, I make mistakes all the time. I sometimes even admit my wrong doings and apologise!

But the commentary on the randomness of this thread (including my own contributions) isn't an attack on any poster or ideology or anything... Just a commentary on the thread format etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That little snippet actually slipped below the radar this afternoon. I had never seen it before. It is a mix of oddly funny and yet vaguely shocking. The grip on Shapiro's neck, the gritted teeth ambulance threat - I was thinking is it some kind of Jeremy Kyle stuff.. it is a really bad look.

Slapping on some makeup over 2000 years of genetic programming is not going to work

That little snippet actually slipped below the radar this afternoon. I had never seen it before. It is a mix of oddly funny and yet vaguely shocking. The grip on Shapiro's neck, the gritted teeth ambulance threat - I was thinking is it some kind of Jeremy Kyle stuff.. it is a really bad look.

I dislike Ben Shapiro but him deadpanning in response “That seems mildly inappropriate for a political discussion” is pretty fucking funny. :D

Bambi wrote: »
    Slapping on some makeup over 2000 years of genetic programming is not going to work

If only it were that simple..

(And you might be missing a 0 or three.. the Romans were quite into a bit of trans culture for many different reasons)

I dislike Ben Shapiro but him deadpanning in response “That seems mildly inappropriate for a political discussion” is pretty fucking funny. :D

It's absolutely cringe. I can't stop watching it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I just had a 20 minute conversation

It was 2 posts.

20 minute conversation lol

It was 2 posts.

20 minute conversation lol

Felt like a lifetime tbh

But sure mock away.. better that than to accept that I had a point!

16:10 - 16:46 is where those posts are (several by many posters).. but thankfully I'm not as petty minded to go and check or anything :pac:

Felt like a lifetime tbh

Tell me about it ,

Nothing but passive aggressive nonsense

Tell me about it ,

Nothing but passive aggressive nonsense

That's how it was read? Why didn't you report it if that was the case?

I really am sorry as I have offended, and it was by far not my intention. I'll consider my tone going forward.

That's how it was read? Why didn't you report it if that was the case?

Why would I report a post I'll leave the serially offended posts for others to spam the report button.

• Advertisement

Why would I report a post I'll leave the serially offended posts for others to spam the report button.

Because it clutters up the thread like this.
    You can't spam a report button. You can spam the thread. It's very off putting to wade through pages of complaints and accusations. I imagine it's partly why a lot of people drop in for a while then disappear again.

I re read, in the voice I made the posts in. I wasn't aiming for passive aggressive at all, I'm really sorry I came across that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I’d love for more people to get involved. However, most of our questions go unanswered. People run away when they can’t give a response. There’s not much to be done with that.

Now, you can posture loftily about our questions not being answered because people won’t stoop to that.

But lots of us HAVEN’T been threadbanned and have only been given minor cards or none at all. So we’re doing something right. Many of us have made good points and that’s the usually the point where people opposing us scarper. That’s not our problem. Why don’t they respond? If they have such a strong position, why do they flee? Weird, huh?

Also, you suggest that the only reason we are escaping sanction is because we have remained civil. Sneaky.

Sorry, missed this part of your post from earlier.

Regarding the stuff about banning/sanctions etc: Yes - of course a lot (I'd assume most?) of you haven't been sanctioned or threadbanned, and it IS because you're doing something right - which is that your posting is suitably civil and meets the standards of the moderation team. The text you quote is in response to a poster suggesting that "the discussion has been civil on one side". I disagree with this assessment and think that's evidenced by gender critical posters who have been booted off the thread for uncivil posting. I'm not suggesting that the actions of sanctioned posters is wholly representative of your side of the argument at all. I'm genuinely at a loss to see what's "sneaky" about me saying that you haven't been sanctioned because you've remained civil. I've also remained civil (I think) and haven't been sanctioned as a result. Isn't one of the main aims of moderation to keep things civil? I don't know what you're getting at.

As far as the makeup of the thread's posters and what side of the argument they fall/lack of engagement from the opposing side, that's a complicated question. Posters will have their own reasons for this. You probably think it's because they have no cogent argument, and maybe you're right! There's also that one post can result in replies from several users which the poster may feel compelled to respond to, and that's tiring for them. Maybe they feel some of those posters responding to them either mistake or misrepresent their position so can't be bothered engaging. (I've seen this happen to one poster a lot in particular, and while I don't think their debate style does them any favours, the level of straw-manning they've received has at times been ludicrous to me). I abandoned an exchange myself earlier as a response I received was a gish-gallop of points of (IMO) varying accuracy and nuance that would have taken ages to go through and I can't be bothered engaging with that sort of debating style. Sometimes I respond to parts of certain replies and ignore the rest because certain aspects of the convo just don't interest me, I've addressed them before or I know that me and the other poster will never see eye to eye and I'm not looking for conflict (depends on mood really). There also seems to be a lot of presumptions of bad faith in this thread which I find extremely irritating - we could all go around in circles all day accusing eachother of dishonest debating, whats the point? In summary - god knows, there's myriad potential reasons. None of us are actually achieving anything on here, it's a recreational activity. People will tag in and out as they please, from what I can see it seems to be the same posters returning intermittently as opposed to new ones popping in and out regularly, maybe I'm wrong.

In the past year, the word ‘woman’ has been removed from some female-specific public health literature here in Ireland. The same is not true for male-specific literature. So it’s easy to be blasé about this when it doesn’t affect you (I think I’m correct in assuming you’re a man). The literature was changed back because some tenacious women made a stink and were mocked and criticised for doing so, even by some quite high profile people. This stuff actually does matter and has real world ramifications.

I remember that, objected to it and I wrote to the HSE myself about it off the back of a suggestion from a poster on here (maybe even you?). I understand that language matters but I'm not seeing a link between something I post on here and the actions of the HSE. I do get where you're coming from though.
    I don't think you are a misogynist - I find you generally a good and good-humoured poster even though we often disagree. But I presume you would not like to be referred to as a non straight man? Or a non woman? A non child? It is just odd isn't it. Women are women, and then people who identify as women can be whatever name suits them, trans women being the one that inherently has the meaning that the person has identified as being OPPOSITE to their natal sex. In fact to be honest I think TRAs are gonna wake up soon enough and say whoa this word trans is transphobic! :p

Nawww, thank you Gruf. Did you bump into any angry turnip farmers in the end that day? (If you remember, you remember) I completely get your point. Honestly, nearly every term I can think of in relation to this topic is open to some form of interpretation that causes someone, somewhere to get annoyed or respond with a slogan that gets someone else annoyed. I have zero doubt the terminology itself will change multiple times in the coming years - I've lived through about 5 different PC terms for "disabled" now.

Jesus, the length of this post. I never actually knew my biological Dad. One Eyed Jack, if you're reading this, what were you getting upto circa 1988 of curiosity?

(And you might be missing a 0 or three.. the Romans were quite into a bit of trans culture for many different reasons)

Transgender and third gender has existed always. And is valid. Some people just really like or need the idea and act of expressing themselves as the opposite sex for lots of reasons.

I don't know if it has happened before in time that there has been such an imposed, politically-correct ideologically driven slant on it - ie that the acceptable position is that one must accept that the person actually has physically changed sex and that a trans man is thus a man.
    Or especially as one poster here holds a man is now a trans female.

Personally I do not see what is the problem with the statement a trans woman is a trans woman. Why the necessity for compulsory adherence to a false unscientific assertion that a trans woman is a woman? They are a trans woman. That does not make them in any way less. They are equal.

It is a big aspect for me - to be forced to say that biological reality does not exist. It has led to things like gendered language supposedly becoming offensive like mother, breast feed, etc. This seems like ''doublethink'' or ''newspeak''.

And just to add that in fairness to you, you have stayed the course. I think we actually agree on many aspects of this discussion. Perhaps you have been inclined to dismiss long held valid concerns too airily, but when asked to consider them you have found that there are valid concerns and that is honest.

RWCNT wrote: »

I remember that, objected to it and I wrote to the HSE myself about it off the back of a suggestion from a poster on here (maybe even you?). I understand that language matters but I'm not seeing a link between something I post on here and the actions of the HSE. I do get where you're coming from though.

Nawww, thank you Gruf. Did you bump into any angry turnip farmers in the end that day? (If you remember, you remember) I completely get your point. Honestly, nearly every term I can think of in relation to this topic is open to some form of interpretation that causes someone, somewhere to get annoyed or respond with a slogan that gets someone else annoyed. I have zero doubt the terminology itself will change multiple times in the coming years - I've lived through about 5 different PC terms for "disabled" now.

Thanks for doing that - writing to the HSE. That is fab.

I do remember :)

I think it’s all part of a general assault on the term ‘woman’, wherever it’s said.

To move away from what you said to a more general point, these are the current definitions for ‘male’ and ‘female’ on medicinenet.com (feel free to corroborate, anyone!). I can’t be bothered doing two screenshots for the female definition. You get the gist. It really is quite unbelievable when you compare the two side by side. It’s sinister. And it’s happening in many western countries. We live in a world where in many countries, women and girls are marginalised precisely because of their biological sex. They can’t identify out of that.

8-FB84-AD0-7542-4-AD5-8105-44-E5-B4-CF185-B.jpg?dl=1

6169-F501-8-A1-C-4788-B6-A0-DE32-D9-F9-E09-F.jpg?dl=1

Transgender and third gender has existed always. And is valid. Some people just really like or need the idea and act of expressing themselves as the opposite sex for lots of reasons.

I don't know if it has happened before in time that there has been such an imposed, politically-correct ideologically driven slant on it - ie that the acceptable position is that one must accept that the person actually has physically changed sex and that a trans man is thus a man.
    Or especially as one poster here holds a man is now a trans female.

Personally I do not see what is the problem with the statement a trans woman is a trans woman. Why the necessity for compulsory adherence to a false unscientific assertion that a trans woman is a woman? They are a trans woman. That does not make them in any way less. They are equal.

It is a big aspect for me - to be forced to say that biological reality does not exist. It has led to things like gendered language supposedly becoming offensive like mother, breast feed, etc. This seems like ''doublethink'' or ''newspeak''.

And just to add that in fairness to you, you have stayed the course. I think we actually agree on many aspects of this discussion. Perhaps you have been inclined to dismiss long held valid concerns too airily, but when asked to consider them you have found that there are valid concerns and that is honest.

Now wait a minute.. I was just accused of being egotistical a few posts back.. and now others are taking credit for shaping my views :pac:

Seriously tho, I think a lot of real people are closer to the centre than are given credit for. A lot if debates using labels are really just label debates and often don't help.

I am often a stickler for concrete examples because this is an insanely complex issues, and that complexity is often completely underestimated (I don't just mean the reason as to why someone may or may not be on one trans spectrum or another) but because it also touches a lot of other extremely complex issues that we face in our society (women's rights, why people feel threatened, equality laws etc etc).

I think in the last few years the internet has a lot to answer for in terms of making debates such as this much worse. Certain groups and voices are echoed and get much more credence then they deserve (that's really what dragged me back in the other day.. the Twitter stuff, it's really not helpful at times).

Final note on this RWCNT mentioned someone's debating style not doing them any favours. My ego would like to think that's me.. if it wasn't, then I definitely fall into that category at times.. but really no harm is meant at all.

I think it’s all part of a general assault on the term ‘woman’, wherever it’s said.

To move away from what you said to a more general point, these are the current definitions for ‘male’ and ‘female’ on medicinenet.com (feel free to corroborate, anyone!). I can’t be bothered doing two screenshots for the female definition. You get the gist. It really is quite unbelievable when you compare the two side by side. It’s sinister. And it’s happening in many western countries. We live in a world where in many countries, women and girls are marginalised precisely because of their biological sex. They can’t identify out of that.

8-FB84-AD0-7542-4-AD5-8105-44-E5-B4-CF185-B.jpg?dl=1

6169-F501-8-A1-C-4788-B6-A0-DE32-D9-F9-E09-F.jpg?dl=1

That is odd.

That is odd.

It is but not so surprising, given the different treatment we saw of public health literature on our own shores last year. Everything seems geared toward tiptoeing around certain males of the species.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Im missing at least three zeros :D

And you could add a lot, lot, more zeros if you wanted. We were male and female long before we were even human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Jesus, the length of this post. I never actually knew my biological Dad. One Eyed Jack, if you're reading this, what were you getting upto circa 1988 of curiosity?

The Summer of ‘98? That was the Summer I received something of an education from the local farmer’s daughters in a haybarn, long before we learned about it in school :D

Cracker of a post btw, pretty much sums up where I am with the whole thing - it just makes no sense to waste time arguing with a handful of posters on here when I can make far better use of my time campaigning for changes in policies and legislation at national and international level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement