Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Holidays 2021

Options
  • 30-10-2020 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Is it too risky booking holidays for July?
    Don't know what to do

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I think it will be ok, although you may need to be willing to take a Covid test before going or upon arrival back !?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think it will be ok too but I would hold out on booking for another while.
    If you must book o would book flights with Aer Lingus for more flexibility

• Registered Users Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think it will be ok, although you may need to be willing to take a Covid test before going or upon arrival back !?

Pretty much this, the Canaries will shortly be making a negative test necessary in order to check into hotels / registered tourist accommodation, others will follow, could even be a EU travel requirement by then

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

The Spanish economy which is already bad will collapse into a Greek level if they don't get their tourists back. I suspect the EU will agree to allow holidays whether it's the right thing to do or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Pretty much this, the Canaries will shortly be making a negative test necessary in order to check into hotels / registered tourist accommodation, others will follow, could even be a EU travel requirement by then

https://www.canarianweekly.com/posts/Negative-test-results-made-official#ath

This is now officially in since 01/11/20 but will probably start to be implemented within 10 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

So then if you test positive, no holiday for you, you spend the time in quarantine?
    Worst case scenario, and I’d bet travel insurance won’t refund the cost of your holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,153 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

yenom wrote: »
    The Spanish economy which is already bad will collapse into a Greek level if they don't get their tourists back. I suspect the EU will agree to allow holidays whether it's the right thing to do or not.

At no stage has the “EU” not allowed holidays

It’s always been down to the policy of individual countries and regions

And even with them, plenty of holidaying has taken place this year (if only a fraction of what normally happens)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We transferred our June 2020 Holiday to June 2021. Deposit only paid. Happy enough to leave it like that until closer to the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Our work has told us that until a vaccine is found we'll have to quarantine for two weeks upon return, unpaid.

Regardless of negative test or not.

So travel off the cards for next year too.

Locker10a wrote: »

That’s fine but then they need to be made affordable. €180 per person is not a price many can pay

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    That’s fine but then they need to be made affordable. €180 per person is not a price many can pay

To be fair if you’re going on holiday, you can

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Dodge wrote: »
    To be fair if you’re going on holiday, you can

Not necessarily.

Flights and holidays are cheap at the moment, so a family of 4 or 5 paying €180 each could be a step too far for some.

Not necessarily.

Flights and holidays are cheap at the moment, so a family of 4 or 5 paying €180 each could be a step too far for some.

OK, so they can't go.

You said it's a price "not many can pay" and that's simply not true for most holiday goers. It might mean they have €180 less to spend on their holiday, but so be it.

OK, so they can't go.

You said it's a price "not many can pay" and that's simply not true for most holiday goers. It might mean they have €180 less to spend on their holiday, but so be it.

But for a family of 2 adults and 2 kids it’s €720 which is simply unaffordable

I think the point Dodge is making, is that it's a holiday. Not an essential life purchase like medicine. The extra cost is simply part of the overall holiday cost, and if you can't afford it, you can't afford the holiday as a whole.

That said, I am curious what happens.. Do they test you before you embark the plane, and turn you away at the gate? Or do you still go on your holiday and swear on your holy socks that you won't leave the hotel, wink, wink, nudge, nudge..

I think the point Dodge is making, is that it's a holiday. Not an essential life purchase like medicine. The extra cost is simply part of the overall holiday cost, and if you can't afford it, you can't afford the holiday as a whole.

It’s that exactly. I can’t afford plenty of holidays available, so I can’t go

If the cost of going to the canaries is flight + accommodation + transfers + covid test, then that’s the cost.

No real difference from other countries that require vaccinations, shots or insurance.

Cut your cloth to suit,

If you usually go for 14 night, go for ten or eleven, choose 4* if you usually choose 5*, 3* if you usually choose 4*, if you're self catering, have dinner in a couple of nights, have a few beers in on a couple of nights, there are lots of options to keep costs down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

I agree with this way of looking at it. I think people are going to have to get used to the fact that when travel resumes properly there’s going to be an agreed COVID protocol in place. I’d imagine that if there’s a vaccine that’s readily available then that solves all your issues if you get it. Obviously you’ll be given proof of the vaccine and you’ll be required to show it when asked. However if for whatever reason you don’t get it then I’d imagine you’ll be required to take a test for a fee before check in. I’d very much imagine too that travel insurance policies will specifically not give cover for any Covid related claims unless you pay an excess which will probably be quite hefty.Again I’d say if you’ve got the vaccine then that won’t be an issue. I could be completely wrong on all this but it stands to reason that there’s going to have to be a proper system in place.
    It’s that exactly. I can’t afford plenty of holidays available, so I can’t go

If the cost of going to the canaries is flight + accommodation + transfers + covid test, then that’s the cost.

No real difference from other countries that require vaccinations, shots or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭johnire

I would definitely say that any test will be prior to check in and if you test positive then you can kiss your holiday goodbye. However that’s where the real problems start. It’s very possible you’ve spent hundreds if not thousands of euro-unless you have travel insurance you’ve lost it all. Equally no travel insurance policy is just going to automatically give Covid cover. It’ll be an extra but an essential one at that. The other issue is what happens if a family is travelling and one or two members test positive and the others don’t..... it’s all very messy.
    Again if there’s a vaccine then this whole scenario of a test prior to travel will only apply to those who don’t get the vaccine for whatever reason.

That said, I am curious what happens.. Do they test you before you embark the plane, and turn you away at the gate? Or do you still go on your holiday and swear on your holy socks that you won't leave the hotel, wink, wink, nudge, nudge..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 responder XX

Our work has told us that until a vaccine is found we'll have to quarantine for two weeks upon return, unpaid.

Regardless of negative test or not.

So travel off the cards for next year too.

I can't see how any employer can say that. If they require you to comply with government health guidelines then fine, but if the guidelines either say no self-isolation is required (green zone) or a test can suffice, then your employer has no business saying otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

My employer says we have to do the 2 weeks at our own annual leave expense no matter where we return from at the moment anyway. Employer is a large semi state company.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

finbarrk wrote: »
    My employer says we have to do the 2 weeks at our own annual leave expense no matter where we return from at the moment anyway. Employer is a large semi state company.

That doesn’t really sit right with me, particularly as a lot of people are working from home. If you are someone who is working from home (and not physically interacting with other people in the company) then why should you be forced to take an additional 2 weeks leave if you are available to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Kevski wrote: »
    That doesn’t really sit right with me, particularly as a lot of people are working from home. If you are someone who is working from home (and not physically interacting with other people in the company) then why should you be forced to take an additional 2 weeks leave if you are available to work?

Exactly - No need to tell your employer where you are going.

finbarrk wrote: »

Semi states/public sector said that during the summer, they then backtracked silently very soon thereafter as was clearly illegal. Of course they didn't publicise that change https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/0cfe6-update-24th-august-2020-to-guidance-on-working-arrangements-during-covid-19-for-the-civil-and-public-service/

Semi states/public sector said that during the summer, they then backtracked silently very soon thereafter as was clearly illegal. Of course they didn't publicise that change https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/0cfe6-update-24th-august-2020-to-guidance-on-working-arrangements-during-covid-19-for-the-civil-and-public-service/
    Does this go for the private sector too?

Does this go for the private sector too?

What I linked to is public sector policy. I think some private sector companies have applied the same, but can't say it'll always be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

thats a big statement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Kevski wrote: »

He never said he was working from home

Booked flights for three of us for June 2021, had to add €60 to voucher value, 11 nights in the sun so hopefully between vaccine rollout & generally getting on top of the virus it's fingers crossed, hotel booked with pay on arrival & free cancellation up to four days in advance., I can feel the sun on my back & the sand between my toes.

Car hire is also pay on arrival & free cancellation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

He never said he was working from home

I’m aware of that, thanks.

As subsequent posters have said, this policy was communicated to workers across the semi-state/Public sector earlier this year and applied to everyone, regardless of whether they worked from home or not.

Advertisement