Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fitness Questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I doubt there are too many people who can do 3 x 12 full range pull ups tbh, nevermind someone who's just starting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Brian? wrote: »
    How many pull ups can you do unassisted now?

If you're doing proper full range pull ups, you can slowly work your grip wider moving it out a few inches once you can do 12-15.

Unassisted, 1 or 2 but only on the narrow grip and Im wobbling all over the place and I "think" Im making a bit of a jump at the beginning so the strictest part of it is probably the negative. I doubt Im full range tbh - the first time I managed 1 was just 2 weeks ago.

Unassisted I do 5 sets of 5 using different grips but I rapidly lose strength and have to assist myself more and more (ie, add counterweight) to each set. Although I have been beginning with less counterweight over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

On the topic of pull-ups has anyone got advice in getting started? I mean the most basic exercises to build strength to a proper pull-up.

I also struggle progressing with the overhead press and I'm sure my form is good. Maybe I've just got weak shoulders! I'm not too worried about it though, slow progress is still progress.

However, pull-ups. Any advice on practice exercises would be much welcome.

circadian wrote: »
    On the topic of pull-ups has anyone got advice in getting started? I mean the most basic exercises to build strength to a proper pull-up.

I also struggle progressing with the overhead press and I'm sure my form is good. Maybe I've just got weak shoulders! I'm not too worried about it though, slow progress is still progress.

I started by doing static hangs, then using something to climb up to the bars and doing negatives. This was the bit I found most difficult, the bars were too high and I didnt have the strength to jump up and grab them. Eventually I just started bringing a bench over and climbing up on it. Also barbell rows.

I couldnt even hang for 5 seconds for weeks. I didnt have either the grip strength or shoulder strength, I felt like I was just pulling my arms out lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

circadian wrote: »

To get started with pull ups - you can do band assisted pull ups (which i personally dont like as they tend to help in the easier part of the movement rather than where people get stuck but they seem to work for a lot of people.) Do inverted rows too and lat pull downs just to generally strengthen the muscles needed. gradually reduce the tension on the band until you can do unassisted pull ups.

For overhead pressing, it seems like just more volume and prioritizing the movement is the key to progressing. Also brace your abs and squeeze your ass as hard as you can when pressing helps too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Is this a joke?

No its not.
    Unless Ive picked you up wrong and you are talking about assisted pull ups.
    I think its mental to throw those numbers at a mid 40s female starting off.
    What percent of gym goers can do 15 pulls ups? Now think about what percent of those are female. Now think about what percent of those are mid 40s.
    I would say Ive never been in a gym where any female could do 15 pull ups.

It would be like me starting running and someone in the running forum saying when you get a sub 3 hour marathon, you could start to aim for a sub 2.5

shutup wrote: »
    No its not.
    What percent of gym goers can do 15 pulls ups? Now think about what percent of those are female. Now think about what percent of those are mid 40s.

It would be like me starting running and someone in the running forum saying when you get a sub 3 hour marathon, you could start to aim for a sub 2.5

I have to admit, I only see about 3 people doing unassisted pull ups in either gym I go to and all 3 of them are young men.

There is a woman (younger than me) who I have seen doing it, but she only does 2 or 3 and they are not very strict.

I wondered about it for ages, until trying it for myself - now I understand why hardly anyone does it!!

But I do know a woman about the same age as me who started doing pull ups a year ago and she can do 15 now - but she is a personal trainer/fitness machine who was coming from a very athletic background.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

....... wrote: »
    I started by doing static hangs, then using something to climb up to the bars and doing negatives. This was the bit I found most difficult, the bars were too high and I didnt have the strength to jump up and grab them. Eventually I just started bringing a bench over and climbing up on it. Also barbell rows.

I couldnt even hang for 5 seconds for weeks. I didnt have either the grip strength or shoulder strength, I felt like I was just pulling my arms out lol.

I'll give it a try, I'm making some headway on the negatives. The previous few weeks I was holding myself chin above the bar for about 20-30 seconds at a time. It's good to hear it's just as tough for others and clearly progression is slow.

Barbell rows I have no problem with, I'm regularly rowing 65+kg.
    Reps4jesus wrote: »
    To get started with pull ups - you can do band assisted pull ups (which i personally dont like as they tend to help in the easier part of the movement rather than where people get stuck but they seem to work for a lot of people.) Do inverted rows too and lat pull downs just to generally strengthen the muscles needed. gradually reduce the tension on the band until you can do unassisted pull ups.

For overhead pressing, it seems like just more volume and prioritizing the movement is the key to progressing. Also brace your abs and squeeze your ass as hard as you can when pressing helps too

I'll give the inverted rows a shot, that seems to make sense for this type of exercise. I'm not sure if I'd like the band assisted pull-ups, but I'll give them a try,

As for ass squeezing, that's the one thing I'm not doing, will give it a shot that's a handy little pointer.

I'm often seeing people in my gym doing unassisted pullups with weights on a belt. It's an impressive sight!

I have to admit, I only see about 3 people doing unassisted pull ups in either gym I go to and all 3 of them are young men.

There is a woman (younger than me) who I have seen doing it, but she only does 2 or 3 and they are not very strict.

I wondered about it for ages, until trying it for myself - now I understand why hardly anyone does it!!

But I do know a woman about the same age as me who started doing pull ups a year ago and she can do 15 now - but she is a personal trainer/fitness machine who was coming from a very athletic background.

Just in case anyone is misunderstanding me. Im not having a go at you. I think its great you are trying bodyweight stuff as its my favourite type of training. Just pull ups are so hard for women that 15 is not realistic. My (female) friend is in great shape, good runner and experienced with kettlebells. She cant do one.
    The only women who can are very experienced and full time at the gym/lifestlye.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I doubt there are too many people who can do 3 x 12 full range pull ups tbh, nevermind someone who's just starting them

Of course someone starting can't. The question was when to progress beyond narrow grip pull ups. The answer I gave was once you can do 12-15. It's a goal that will take time and effort.

What should I have said? What would your advice be?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

No its not.
    Unless Ive picked you up wrong and you are talking about assisted pull ups.

The question was when to progress beyond narrow grip pull ups. My answer is when you can do 12-15. I stand by that absolutely.

It's absolutely achievable and the person who asked the question has made a great start at it by doing 1-2.

they/them/theirs

Just in case anyone is misunderstanding me. Im not having a go at you. I think its great you are trying bodyweight stuff as its my favourite type of training. Just pull ups are so hard for women that 15 is not realistic. My (female) friend is in great shape, good runner and experienced with kettlebells. She cant do one.

So what's the answer? Give up?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

shutup wrote:
    That would be perfectly reasonable advice.
    Aiming for a sub2.5 marathon before you've broken 3 is foolish.

Pull ups are no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

That's just not true, though most might have to start with assistance.

There are different ways to build up. But I think the best way is try to do 8 sets of 2 for now. Break them up throughout your workout so not 8 sets in a row. If you can do 8 sets of 2, move on to 7 sets of 3 and so on, less sets with more reps until you can do 2x12. It might take ages to get there but fair play to you for making a great start.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The question was when to progress beyond narrow grip pull ups. My answer is when you can do 12-15. I stand by that absolutely.

It's absolutely achievable and the person who asked the question has made a great start at it by doing 1-2.

Are you saying they should only move to wide grip pull ups once they can do 12-15 narrow grip pull ups?

At the moment they can do a couple of chin ups "Then there is a narrow set, these are shaped more like horns, the grip is narrow, with palm facing and they are higher than the other grips (the horns point up) I can pull up unassisted on the last type" They say pull up but mean chin ups.

I agree, whatever they can do now is a good start but 12-15 strict pull ups is not realistic.

Mellor wrote: »
    That would be perfectly reasonable advice.
    Aiming for a sub2.5 marathon before you've broken 3 is foolish.

Pull ups are no different.

You think that someone starting off running should be talking about sub 3 hour marathons?
    I think that’s a pretty good way of making someone feel like they are not succeeding because it’s completely unrealistic for 99.99999999999999% of people.

15 strict pull ups for a mid 40s woman is not different.

Not at all, I didnt think you were.

There are different ways to build up. But I think the best way is try to do 8 sets of 2 for now. Break them up throughout your workout so not 8 sets in a row. If you can do 8 sets of 2, move on to 7 sets of 3 and so on, less sets with more reps until you can do 2x12. It might take ages to get there but fair play to you for making a great start.

Sure havent I got the next 40 years to keep working on it eh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭eoinob50

Haha what a load of sh1t!! And not half condescending to women!! Your friend is experienced with kettlebells, and that has what got to do with pulls ups.

I started training my GF 4 months back, at the time she could only do 2 to 3 assisted now can do 4 sets of 12-10 and believe me she is not experienced or living the gym lifestyle just trains hard when she does train.

Agree with @Brian? on this one, anyone can improve on any exercise so long as they are willing to give the time and be persistent with it.

• Advertisement

4 sets of 12 full hang? video evidence please :)

It wouldn't surprise me if there's not a single person in my gym who can do that

Obviously 12 is a long term dream but she's a long long loooooonnngg way off that and most don't get as high as 12 reps nevermind 4 sets of them. Anyway I don't think it really matters, I guess we're sidetracking the thread

IvoryTower wrote: »
    4 sets of 12 full hang? video evidence please :)

It wouldn't surprise me if there's not a single person in my gym who can do that

Obviously 12 is a long term dream but she's a long long loooooonnngg way off that and most don't get as high as 12 reps nevermind 4 sets of them. Anyway I don't think it really matters, I guess we're sidetracking the thread

Not sure what kind of gym you go to if no one can do at least one strict set of 12 😶🙄.

Vid to please random guy on internet.... ahhh nah I'll pass and misses would kill me haha.

And I agree, she is a long way off but it's certainly far from impossible.

All it requires is persistaney and progression and implement techniques such as band work, forced reps, negatives, iso holds, varying sets and reps but progress on overload load moved etc.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Are you saying they should only move to wide grip pull ups once they can do 12-15 narrow grip pull ups?

At the moment they can do a couple of chin ups "Then there is a narrow set, these are shaped more like horns, the grip is narrow, with palm facing and they are higher than the other grips (the horns point up) I can pull up unassisted on the last type" They say pull up but mean chin ups.

I agree, whatever they can do now is a good start but 12-15 strict pull ups is not realistic.

Ahhh, I misread. They do mean chin ups. But same advice applies. Do chin ups until you can do 12-15, then move to pull ups and keep going.

Why isn't 12-15 realistic? It's a long term goal. Should they just do the same thing forever and not progress?

they/them/theirs

You think that someone starting off running should be talking about sub 3 hour marathons?
    I think that’s a pretty good way of making someone feel like they are not succeeding because it’s completely unrealistic for 99.99999999999999% of people.

15 strict pull ups for a mid 40s woman is not different.

So what's your advice, I ask again? Not bother because it's impossible? What should the goal be?

they/them/theirs

eoinob50 wrote: »
    And not half condescending to women!!

There’s always one spanner who goes down that route.
    I’ve been to three CrossFit competitions where I’ve been blown away with what both the men and woman are capable of doing and still a very small number of those ladies could do 15 strict pull ups.
    Your imaginary GF is in great condition to be doing sets of 12.

I could possibly do 12, I can do 3 x 8 at the moment with full hang, 4 x 12 would likely take me another year or two tbh.

Ahhh, I misread. They do mean chin ups. But same advice applies. Do chin ups until you can do 12-15, then move to pull ups and keep going.

Why isn't 12-15 realistic? It's a long term goal. Should they just do the same thing forever and not progress?

Hi Brian
    The point is. Setting a goal of 15 so early is not a good advice. Any decent coach will tell you that starting off with talk of a level that is simply unachievable for most normal people is not a good idea.
    Walk before you run.
    What would you tell me if I stated I’m going to take up horse riding and probably going to ride a winner at punchestown next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Hi Brian
    The point is. Setting a goal of 15 so early is not a good advice. Any decent coach will tell you that starting off with talk of a level that is simply unachievable for most normal people is not a good idea.
    Walk before you run.
    What would you tell me if I stated I’m going to take up horse riding and probably going to ride a winner at punchestown next year?

Are we talking the horse or the jockey?

Hi Brian
    Walk before you run.

Can you stop with the nonsense analogies please, it adds nothing. The above is nothing to do with the question asked and the answer given.

The question asked: i can do chin ups on handles A, when should I move on to handles B.

The answer I gave: when you can comfortably do 12-15 on handles A move to B.

That's absolutely nothing to do with goal setting, it's a simple answer to a simple question.

What's your answer to the question asked?

I also advised the poster on how to get from A to B. First goal is 8 sets of 2. Then 7 sets of 3 and so on. That's goal setting based on current level. Do you disagree with how the progression from 2 chin ups to pull ups works? If so, how would you advise them?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

There’s always one spanner who goes down that route.
    I’ve been to three CrossFit competitions where I’ve been blown away with what both the men and woman are capable of doing and still a very small number of those ladies could do 15 strict pull ups.
    Your imaginary GF is in great condition to be doing sets of 12.

Bahahah it was you you said 'women' can't.... so i think it was you who went down that route...

And just because you probably can't pull you presumably fat arse up to do a pull up doesnt mean others can't :rolleyes:

3 crossfit comps.... well why didn't you mention that before......

Thanks ill let her know some tool on the internet thinks so ;)

Back on point, a women asks for advice on how to get better on pull ups and your great words of wisdom are don't bother as impossible LMAO, hope you dont charge for your advice :eek:

Advertisement