Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animals and birds you used to never see...

• 10-01-2019 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭

But I see a lot now!

Just thought I'd share some sightings that have become common now, that as a wildlife enthusiastic kid in the eighties would have had me VERY excited. Just a chat, interesting topic!

1 - Herons. Yes, they were there, but not like they are now! Every morning they're flying over my house in the dawn and I can get so close to them now on rivers and mudflats. (I'm not aware why they're more common)

2 - Jays. Never saw them as a kid. Ever. Saw my first ones in the Phoenix park a few years ago. Very exotic looking. (I'm not aware why they're more common)

3 - Buzzards and kites. Can't really make out which is which, but they're on the motorways, sometimes pretty close up. Fantastic. (I'm not aware why they're more common)

4 - Kestrels, sparrowhawks and peregrine falcons. There's more of them. Much more. (I'm not aware why they're more common)

5 - Otters. Again, completely elusive in the past, but now a lot more common, happy to report multiple sightings close to home and on holidays around Ireland. (I'm not aware why they're more common)

6 - Egrets. One got blown over in a storm to Dollymount in Dublin and there were lots of ornithologists out with binoculars. Now there's loads of them. (I'm not aware why they're more common)

7 - Pine Martins. Only saw my first one in Wicklow two years ago, I've since seen two more, one in Galway, one in Kerry. (I am aware why they're more common now)

8 - Green finches. I never really saw them as a kid, and I'd be looking for them, but I got niger seed for my bird feeders and have loads of them in the garden now.

9 - Killer whales. (ok... still rare and a treat to see) I saw two in Howth a couple of years ago. Years of sailing in the Irish sea and I never saw them till then. (I'm not aware why they're more common)

10 - Corvidae. Is it me or is there just a massive abundance of (particularly) Grey crows, magpies and jackdaws compared to a few years ago?? (I'm not aware why they're more common)

Any more once elusive and now common sightings appreciated? Particularly advice on what to look out for.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

John_Rambo wrote: »
    3 - Buzzards and kites. Can't really make out which is which, but they're on the motorways, sometimes pretty close up. Fantastic. (I'm not aware why they're more common)
    both were extinct in ireland due to persecution. the buzzard re-established itself (in one of the six counties first, can't remember which) and has been spreading southwards for years since. the red kit was reintroduced, in avoca and north county dublin. has also been spreading since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,497 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

both were extinct in ireland due to persecution. the buzzard re-established itself (in one of the six counties first, can't remember which) and has been spreading southwards for years since. the red kit was reintroduced, in avoca and north county dublin. has also been spreading since.

I remember looking out of plane windows in France and Spain as a kid and being amazed at seeing raptors flying around the apron. They were probably there for bird control, but it was something that just wasn't common place in Ireland. The kites and buzzards that are here now are very impressive and very "viewable" if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I saw my first Jay ever this last summer, and I agree there are lots more herons. I'm not particularly a birdwatcher except in the most casual sense. I have also seen more raptors, but that is because I have had my attention drawn to them. Also occasionally seen owls which I had never seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I had red deer in my garden last May - big males the size of ponies! There's lots of deer around but they still impress me.

Buzzards - the first time I saw them was in the north about 10 years ago - seen them for the last three years here.

Bats (I think Natterer's here) love watching them feed in the long summer evenings - I'm going to invest in a bat detector for this summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NCS

I see a wren in the back garden once or twice a year going back a decade (D15). I'd never seen one previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭littlevillage

But I see a lot now!

4 - Kestrels, sparrowhawks and peregrine falcons. There's more of them. Much more. (I'm not aware why they're more common)

Aggree about the Kestels & Sparrowhawks.... seen my very first of both probably a couple of years ago...See them nearly daily now. Same for Goldfinches. I seen my first probably about 2 years ago.... rarely a day goes by now ...that I don't see them. Had about 6 or 7 in my garden one day last year....amazing...such beautiful birds.

7 - Pine Martins. Only saw my first one in Wicklow two years ago, I've since seen two more, one in Galway, one in Kerry. (I am aware why they're more common now)

Why are they more common now ? is it that there are more pine forests :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

You can tell Red Kites from Buzzards by their tail. RK's are "forked", where Buzzards' are "fanned".

Some other species (some raptors, pine martin, etc) where hunted to nearly extinction in the country and they are coming back.

It can also be that you now got better at spotting them.

With mobile phones and all, I can see today's teenagers reporting in 30 years that they never saw a herring gull in their youth!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

6 - Egrets. One got blown over in a storm to Dollymount in Dublin and there were lots of ornithologists out with binoculars. Now there's loads of them. (I'm not aware why they're more common)
    from 2006:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/egrets-settle-into-suburbia-and-the-seaside-1.1017515

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I kind of shared a cottage with a pine marten and her young way back; early 2000s. She used to come down the chimney (place had been empty years) for food so I diverted her to eat at the door. Lovely creature and if she got hungry she would came and ask. And her young too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Egrets
    Gannets
    Woodpecker about a decade ago.
    Bramblings and other assorted small birds.
    Lots of BoPs: Kes, Sprawk, Buzzards, Peregrines, and my first Owl a couple of weeks back.
    Odonata: Damsel and Dragonflies.
    Porpoises, Dolphins, Killers and Humpbacks.

On the flip, I haven't seen a Basking Shark in a few decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

tricky D wrote: »
    Egrets
    Gannets
    Woodpecker about a decade ago.
    Bramblings and other assorted small birds.
    Lots of BoPs: Kes, Sprawk, Buzzards, Peregrines, and my first Owl a couple of weeks back.
    Odonata: Damsel and Dragonflies.
    Porpoises, Dolphins, Killers and Humpbacks.

On the flip, I haven't seen a Basking Shark in a few decades.
    Basking Sharks 2 years ago, Roberts cove , Cork

tricky D wrote: »
    Egrets
    and my first Owl a couple of weeks back.

I have never seen an owl - I live rural for many years and not a one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

For me it's Buzzard, Egret, Kingfisher and Dipper that I see more commonly now compared to 10 or 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

For me it's definitely Buzzard I'd never have seen one when was younger. And strange fish like gilthead bream showing up on the east coast!

Chough,,, myrtleville and up the cliff walk Roberts cove

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Had an egret in the garden a couple of weeks ago, that was a first.

I’ve seen the odd jay over the years but las summer was on the way to a wedding with Mrs B and 3 flew out in front of the car, only 2 made it across.

Found a dead stoat on the road outside the house last year, only ever seen one before about 20 years ago. I knew it was around because I’d seen the footprints.

I see less mink around now which is good.

Wood pigeon numbers have increased a lot, I think due to the increase of rapeseed which helps them over winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Pretzill wrote: »

Saw a long eared owl a few years ago late one night flying very low. The eyes were amazing luminous yellow -orange.Would love to see one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

Buzzards. Never see them years ago. Now I have my daily sighting everyday on various points on M1/ M50. They love to perch beside motorway + observe! Amazing when soaring in sky + I also know their calling sound so always look skyward if I hear one especially on warm summer day.

Never had goldfinches or greenfinches in garden as a child. Have loads now every day at feeder in garden.

If anyone wants to attract finches to their garden they love sunflower hearts.

Pretzill wrote: »

On the plus side that means you don't have a lot of vermin where you live!

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »

Ooh I wish that were true. We have a comfortable family of rats who we thought the fox and/or a feral cat was keeping under control but they persist - in fairness only one or two at the moment but I won't put out poison for obvious reasons and they are clever animals when it comes to traps - a barn owl would have lots to eat where I live!

appledrop wrote: »
    that's an odd leap of logic. perhaps they have lots of vermin precisely because they've no owls?
    rodent poison is a big issue for owls too, especially barn owls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

We've been feeding birds with fat balls, peanuts and wild bird food for years and we've had lots of rarities over that time and for ages one rarity was the Gold Finch. However in the last couple of years they have become the main bird on the peanuts. On average there would be 6 on or around the feeders and I've counted as many as 16. Three years ago we would have commented if we'd seen just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

my3cents wrote: »
    We've been feeding birds with fat balls, peanuts and wild bird food for years and we've had lots of rarities over that time and for ages one rarity was the Gold Finch. However in the last couple of years they have become the main bird on the peanuts. On average there would be 6 on or around the feeders and I've counted as many as 16. Three years ago we would have commented if we'd seen just one.

This may be, in fact most certainly is, unscientific and is based only on local observation but...the numbers of, and frequency of, Goldfinches visiting our garden (where I have daily records of species and numbers going back over 40 years) is directly proportional to the drop in numbers of Greenfinch over the past 6 years.

This may be, in fact most certainly is, unscientific and is based only on local observation but...the numbers of, and frequency of, Goldfinches visiting our garden (where I have daily records of species and numbers going back over 40 years) is directly proportional to the drop in numbers of Greenfinch over the past 6 years.
    Could be, something similar happened in my garden,and brothers ( he was 30 m away),can't say now as I stopped feeding them over rodents,still thave ivy, gooseberry, blackcurrant, strawberry etc bushes,and dome gorge on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Have never seen an owl or a jay..

Would see goldfinches, herons nearly daily and would see several foxes every evening/night - fox numbers appear to have exploded in my area the last few years, near impossible not to see at least one if you're out walking/driving at night

That works for me. Greenfinch numbers used to be much higher and about 2-3 years ago they vanished (Trichomonosis they got from congregating at bird tables?) and that's when the Goldfinch numbers increased.

Now we comment about the odd Greenfinch that turns up on the feeders. We see one everyday but they used to be the bullies on the feeders all the time.

Have never seen an owl or a jay..

Would see goldfinches, herons nearly daily and would see several foxes every evening/night - fox numbers appear to have exploded in my area the last few years, near impossible not to see at least one if you're out walking/driving at night

It really depends where you live? In the UK where we were for years Jays were all to common and a real pain the backside in the veg garden; you could not grow peas without really good all encompassing netting.

I once untangled what I thought was a dead Jay from the bottom of our pea nets. It must of took me about a minute and I had the bird on its back in my hand when one eye opened it looked around flapped like mad then flew off. Clever B4st4rds are Jays.

Haven't seen a Jay in years but daily I see Choughs in groups up to 30 at this time of year.

That works for me. Greenfinch numbers used to be much higher and about 2-3 years ago they vanished (Trichomonosis they got from congregating at bird tables?) and that's when the Goldfinch numbers increased.

Now we comment about the odd Greenfinch that turns up on the feeders. We see one everyday but they used to be the bullies on the feeders all the time.

We are the same. About 3 years again we would have 15+ greenfinches on feeder and about 5 or 6 goldfinches. Then greenfinches just disappeared. Finally back this year but only 6 or 7 compared with 15+ goldfinches now.

• Advertisement

I would love to see an owl. The reason I'm saying about lack of rodents is because their was a brilliant bbc documentary about them. They will only live + nest in areas were they are plenty of rodents. They eat plenty of them so are a good alternative to poison if they stay.

Advertisement