Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hide (chat thread)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Leave it open enough for the swallows to go through, but not enough for the raptor.

New Home wrote: »
    Leave it open enough for the swallows to go through, but not enough for the raptor.

The opening to the shed the swallows use has a roller door, so unfortunately I couldn't adjust it to keep the raptor out. It looks like the sparrowhawk left last night, but I am keeping an eye out as the swallows are back :) I'm relieved to see that there's more than two flying in and out, so the babies must have just started flying in the last few days.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Swallows can swoop low...

Seallows can swoop low...

They sure can :) the door is only partially open since last night and it doesn't seem to have hindered them.

I didn't realise birds of prey were so determined. This one seemed to hang around the shed most of the day yesterday, and didn't leave the garden until almost sunset.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Has there been any Painted Lady's seen around the country this year? Not a single one seen around here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

haven't seen one yet in my garden anyway, but loads of small tortoiseshells

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Anything I can do to help this gorgeous creature? Its wings never developed properly, or were damaged.It has only 4 legs, too, which is odd in itself.

I know I am too late with this but anything like this eg a moribund bee, I put in a safe place among the flowers with nourishment. Let it go or stay at its own pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Lot's of bats out flying around my area every evening this week with the lovely weather. I think they are Common Pipistrelle from their rapid twisting flight path.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

haven't seen one yet in my garden anyway, but loads of small tortoiseshells

Ya loads of Small tortoiseshells here too. Was delighted to find plenty of chrysalis hanging from some nettle patches near the hedge rows this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

god bless nature. a fox has made **** of the rubber lining of our pond. used it like a chewy toy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

A stoat ran across the road, while I was driving home today.

2 buzzards on esb poles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

This is the cutest little invention for bird lovers I've seen yet.

https://mybirdbuddy.com/

530740.jpg

It's basically a bird feeder / seed holder which houses a webcam that notifies your phone when a bird perches on it so you can watch the steam from the web cam.

It will presumably recognise the species of bird also and it will mark each species off your "Collection" bird watching style!

They'll be launching a Kickstarter soon and you can sign upto their mailing list to get notified when it launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Well that didn't take long! Its funded and currently at almost €300,000!

Bird Buddy: A Smart Bird Feeder, via @Kickstarter https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mybirdbuddy/bird-buddy-a-smart-bird-feeder?ref=android_project_share

It won't be available until September next year at the earliest though.

It's priced between €129 - €179 depending on how soon you get in, pricey but I guess it's like the Ring Doorbell of bird feeders!

Here's s video or the prototype working:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Doge wrote: »

Over €400k now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Got home from work yesterday to find a Bluetit flapping against the inside of my shed window. It probably squeezed in through a knot hole. I let it out and it flew off ok. And of course, where did it decide to leave a poo while inside? Right in the middle of the freshly sanded tabletop that I was about to start french polishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

I’m meeting a cute water hen these mornings. There is a river nearby and she/he always seems to be in a bit of a hurry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are sandlerings common here at all? we reckon we saw one near portmarnock the other day, but reading up on it, i think it should be a good bit further south by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Doge wrote: »

They did well over the Christmas!! Just shy of €2.5 million now.

I wonder how accurate the AI recognition is?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

are sandlerings common here at all? we reckon we saw one near portmarnock the other day, but reading up on it, i think it should be a good bit further south by now?

They're here all winter - you definitely could have seen one at Portmarnock.

Cheers, I had read that they overwinter in southern Europe so wasn't sure if that was just a straggler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Honestly, stupid birds! We have a bird feeder with fat balls that mostly bluetits peck at. There are a few wagtails but they really can't cope with hanging onto the feeder, so they wander around the paving picking up the bits that fall, which is a good few, so they do alright.

Just at the moment though there is one belligerent wagtail that has shooed off the others as it has taken over the paving. It also rather stupidly has taken to flying up and bullying the birds from the feeder, so no bits are falling. Its got itself into an ever decreasing supply as it waddles around on the paving looking for crumbs that are no longer there. Hopefully it will get bored and go elsewhere and the other birds can get a chance.

606437.jpg

Just spotted a large frog under 1/2" of ice in my garden pond. I've knocked a big hole in the ice in case it needs air, but surely it should be hibernating? I've had a number of these adult frogs living in my pond all summer and Autumn but I didn't expect to see one in early Jan in the current cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Frogs can absorb oxygen from the water through their skin while submerged so don't be too worried about cracking the ice. The males tend to arrive at the breeding sites before the females so maybe it's a male trying to get a jump ahead of his rivals.....

Frogs can absorb oxygen from the water through their skin while submerged so don't be too worried about cracking the ice. The males tend to arrive at the breeding sites before the females so maybe it's a male trying to get a jump ahead of his rivals.....
    :cool:

Spotted a 2nd one later on. I think these are the same ones that have been in the pond since last Spring. A load of males turned up in Feb but no females (it is a new pond, so maybe we'll get some females this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I was just watching Winter Watch tonight, so interesting...

I loved the segment at the end, the ‘mindfulness moment’, such a peaceful few minutes of reflection in our busy lives!

It brings me right back to my childhood. Days spent idly roaming overgrown wild fields that were divided by stone walls during the Penal Laws (not that I knew that back then!) and dangling my carefree feet into the the local estuary, hoping to catch sight of a ‘madadh uisce’ or otter. I was lucky only once and it was magical!

I often remember just sitting there on the rocks and closing my eyes and listening, just sitting there, still, and listening.....

Those moments and experiences ground you, shape you and stay with you for your whole life. I think we have lost those precious moments in our world today. Between work, devices, social media and the busyness of life...

There are some days that I long to sit back on those rocks, dangle my feet in the cold autumn current, close my eyes and just listen....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

walking through a swampy field today (inland) and saw a smallish bird with a long beak fly down low past me

a woodcock maybe?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

fryup wrote: »
    walking through a swampy field today (inland) and saw a smallish bird with a long beak fly down low past me

a woodcock maybe?

They tend to roost in woodland during the day, so Snipe or Jack Snipe more likely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Bogs are pretty frozen at the moment so Snipe tend to move to softer fields and drains to feed.....

Advertisement