Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medical Card Dental Coverage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

This is not medical card related but PRSI. I went for an examination the other day on my once yearly prsi. They done and xray which cost me 50 euro. I have since been told that the xray should have been included on prsi. I have queried this with the dentist and they said it wasn't an xray I got rather an opg I think they said. A whole mouth scan. Are they fobbing me off? I placed my mouth on the rest and the scanner went around my head. Is this an xray or a more advanced test which would incur payment?

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

An OPG is not included in the examination fee for the PRSI scheme. Small inside the mouth xrays are included - otherwise known as bitewings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Bosley1421 wrote: »
    Would anyone have any experience of approval cases where a medication for chronic condition had a side effect of dry mouth etc. making cavities and poor gum health more likely?
    I actually can't believe how much a year on meds has changed my teeth and mouth. The medical card was approved recently and is connected to my health condition, but this is not on any approved list. I have a check up and clean booked, any advice on etiquette in asking dentist about extra treatment on card is appreciated.

I'd say just straight up tell the dentist that you can't afford whatevr treatment they recommend and ask how you go about applying to the HSE to get it covered.

Good luck!

I haven't heard of anyone getting dental treatment being approved with a medical card. There was a piece on RTE drivetime last week on this issue - the two dental people they had on more or less said that the HSE aren't approving treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

Thank you! They were actually really complimentary about my teeth and how I'm managing so treatment is more affordable than I thought it would be. It's not covered by HSE but I had it built up in my head that I'd need x fillings, extractions, etc. Not the case and I'm thrilled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Hi folks,

Does a medical card cover surgical extractions, or just "regular" ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Dair76 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Does a medical card cover surgical extractions, or just "regular" ones?

Afaik it covers as many teeth pulled as you want. Wisdom teeth I'm not sure. I thinkmit requires a referral to the dental hospital... which is in Dublin (I got a referral once, then missed the appt).

It all has to be pre-approved by the HSE it seems. Which is sh*tty

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

If I have root canal done on front tooth under medical card, would a filling be included or would I have to pay for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭SM35

included

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

Does anyone know what additional dental treatment is covered by medical card if you have an auto immune disease which comes under the the HSE list?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Guys is there anywhere that I can get a list of Dentist that will take the medical card in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DinkyDinosaur

Just to clarify on post above:

The examination is 1/year (i.e 1 today 28/03/11, next 1 on 28/03/12
    The 2 fillings are 2/calendar year (i.e between 01/01/11 - 31/12/11)
    also as well as extractions prescriptions are covered and any treatment needed to stop bleeding post extraction!

don't know if this helps :)

I had a tooth out yesterday. I used Yarrow to stop the bleeding. Worked a treat. It grows in my front garden. Cost me a grand total of €0. Everyone should educate themselves on the wonders of Yarrow (Warriors Herb)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Ray Shrilling Stovepipe

I had a tooth out yesterday. I used Yarrow to stop the bleeding. Worked a treat. It grows in my front garden. Cost me a grand total of €0. Everyone should educate themselves on the wonders of Yarrow (Warriors Herb)

Unless your anticoagulated by medication or illness your own clotting cascade system will stop the bleeding,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Guys is there anywhere that I can get a list of Dentist that will take the medical card in Dublin

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/dentists.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 34 nogiggity

I am having issues with my current dentist and am considering moving because if it. I've been having a constant dull pain in one of my front incisors for over the past few months. I asked him if he could make a request for a root canal treatment under my medical card. He did and it was approved. However, after my last visit he is now refusing to do the root canal treatment as he believes it is unnecessary as the tooth is still alive,and said root treatment will darken the tooth. The only treatment he offered was NSAIDS which dont help at all and I am still in pain. I should probably mention that all of this was told to me by the secretary I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with the discomfort.
    If I switch to a different dentist will a separate request need to be made?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Resurrecting this.

I've just been to the dentist for a filling, and need 5 more. I'm temporarily out of work and have a medical card.

The filling is white rather than metal, as recommended by the dentist, but is not covered by medical card, and each filling costs €150.

Does this price seem correct, and is there anything I should look into to reduce the cost?

I will also need a cleaning, is this covered by medical card?

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Resurrecting this.

I've just been to the dentist for a filling, and need 5 more. I'm temporarily out of work and have a medical card.

The filling is white rather than metal, as recommended by the dentist, but is not covered by medical card, and each filling costs €150.

Does this price seem correct, and is there anything I should look into to reduce the cost?

I will also need a cleaning, is this covered by medical card?

TIA.

Don’t have a MC so can’t answer if it’s covered or not but a cleaning by my dentist in Thurles is €60 and filling metal is €80-100 and white is +€10 so yes you’re paying at least €40 more than if you came to Thurles to get it done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Been a while since anyone posted here, but anyone know of dentists accepting medical card patients. An elderly relative, who lives in a nursing home requires some treatment.

No dentists we contact will take on a medical card patient though, despite them having slots that are bookable. I'd wager if I rocked up myself I'd get an appointment which seems grossly unfair.

We're in Dublin 11/9 area so anywhere within a reasonable distance as they'll be driven

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Weepsie if you contact local HSE dental services, link below, you should be able to access emergency treatment using med card, you might even be able to arrange ongoing treatment for your relative

Unfortunately most clinics at the moment are either not providing med card treatment at all, or restricting the numbers they are accepting, even if you rocked up, they do not have to accept your card.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/lho/northdublin/dental/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,920 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm afraid that won't work, all the HSE will do is give a patient a list of Dentists Alledgedly still seeing patients on the scheme, patents then go and call these dentists to be told either they are no longer seeing MC patients or They are not even associated with the scheme.

Even the Dentist association still listing Dentists who are part of the scheme, when they are not.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I’m a long time out of the DTSS so I’m afraid I am not up to date on their policies, but the local HSE dental centre does provide emergency treatments for children and med card holders.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to hear of your situation but sadly the situation has actually got worse, not better, I just wondered if the Dental Hospital might be an option 🤔 if your resident in Dublin you will not be billed if a medical card holder, might be worth contacting them.

Just children as far as I'm aware, I tried finding a new dentist, in the Midlands, 2 years ago, my own dentist stopped seeing MC patients, called HSE dental section here in Midlands, told only children under a certain age, for emergency care, gave me a list of 5 dentists in Tullamore, all supposed to be seeing MC patients , none where, HSE actually wished me luck finding a new dentist, I'm not kidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nearly all my molars are extracted - will the med card cover me for false teeth/ dentures?

btw - which is best for molars?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Girlfriend needs wisdom teeth extracted around central Dublin, any dentists accept medical cards around there or D7?

This does not apply here. I suspect this poster lives in another jurisdiction, possibly the US.

I know lots of dentists have withdrawn from the medical card scheme. There's a few remaining but are they being a bit tricky? I mean when I go to them I usually end up paying for something that's not covered under the scheme.

My question is are the dentists doing a thing where they'll get people in under the medical card. But then look to supplement what they get paid by the HSE by pushing something not covered by the medical card?

Put bluntly, it’s good fortune to have access to a med card dentist at all, unless the Government increase funding dramatically, access to it will most likely be withdrawn in the short term.

The treatments covered are restricted, if you want all your treatment to be free, the only item of service that applies to is extractions. You can only have two fillings per year, not on the same tooth within 5 yrs, no white fillings on teeth further back than canines (that might have changed), so obviously if you have cavities, the dentist would be negligent not to inform you, even if they will not be covered by the med card.

So look, having a med card and a dentist who accepts it, is a very good thing, hundreds of thousands of people would appreciate having the same access. If you think the dentist is being tricky, or you don’t want to pay anything, just inform them that you only want treatment which you would be entitled to free, sign the disclaimer, wait a year to have those cavities treated, or get them out for free.

Post edited by Dav010 on

No cavities mate. I remember one time I got a €100 night guard thing forced on me (that I got fed up of after a year or two). Another time I was "strongly recommended" to get a €70 deep cleansing or something (I can't remember the exact wording). They wanted me to come back regularly for another €70. Chancers.

Seems like some dentists are using the opportunity to push non essential stuff to a captive audience. If they're gonna do medical card stuff then, in my opinion, don't take the piss forcing paid stuff down your throat (pun intended).

The effects of grinding/clenching such as attrition to tooth surfaces, filling fractures, jaw pain can take months or even years to manifest themselves, other people suffer acute bouts of pain in their teeth/jaws when they grind excessively due to stress. Of course the second group understood the need/benefits of the night guard more clearly because they are in pain, the first group may need a little longer, so hold onto that night guard, someday it may be useful and you may realise it was money well spent.

I should say as well, at €100 for a night guard, when you deduct the laboratory fee and materials used to take the impression, he probably made €10 on that. Most Dentists charge a lot more for night guards.

The second part, the cleaning is easier to explain. If you have subgingival plaque you are at risk of gingivitis/periodontitis. Again this is a slow developing process. If you don’t want that plaque cleaned off your teeth, no problem at all, you are a big boy/girl so you can may your own decisions, and own the consequences. The Dentist just makes note of the fact that you were advised of the issue, and that you declined treatment. They won’t give it a second thought, unless you come back asking why you still have plaque deposits under your gums, pockets between your teeth, and whatever else may develop, at which time they will just remind you that you didn’t want the treatment. It happens.

We can’t help those that don’t want advice or help. If you are unhappy, try to find another Dentist.

• Advertisement

LOL bloody weird reply. I just saw the wall of text and the condescending attitude and didn't bother reading it. You seem to think I want to be lectured by the self appointed spokesperson for dentists.

Obviously very offended at me being cynical at dentists (notice you don't need to capitalist "dentist" all the time). Luckily I'm on the site long enough to know you're just an ordinary user (like me) even though you act like a mod and have a username similar to the site's big boss.

[quote]

We can’t help those that don’t want advice or help. If you are unhappy, try to find another Dentist.

[/quote]

eh? Are you feeling OK? Did you copy and paste this from somewhere? Dissociative identity disorder? Speaking on behalf of dentists (if so you're being a bit naughty not declaring it)

Advertisement