Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

watty wrote: »
    REAL LED sets do exist.

The ASAI is useless.

It's misleading and dishonest, so don't encourage it.

OK, I agree its misleading, personally I would not go as far as dishonest, and really I don't expect anyone to take any notice of what I say, so I don't see it as encouraging it, just capitulating to the reality that they won and everyone calls them LED TV's and as long as I know what they are it really does not bother me.

OLEDs are indeed really Electroluminescent panels, not true LEDs in the normal sense. But at least they are technically diodes and emit light.

Errr, so they are diodes that emit light, to me its a rather difficult argument to say they are not light emitting diodes then, OLED = "Organic Light Emitting Diode"

So I cam imagine maybe sometime in 2011/2012, a guy walks into Currys and the salesman says, "Would you like to see the latest OLED TV" and the customer says, "no actually just a plain old LED TV will be fine", :D

Currys and power city are now selling at good prices freeview UK tv's with dvbT2 decoders.I bought one which is working brilliantly with irish and UK dtt.I'm delighted with it.
    The freeview hd epg is picture in picture [just like the new sky hd epg] and puts RTE etc in the 800's when set to UK but crucially puts everything on the one epg...no switching to a different sat epg or any of that mullarkey for the UK channels.
    The EPG is so fast too and so snazzy looking!

pigeon1916 wrote: »
    I have been also watching the below TV hoping this price will drop. As I think the LCD/LED price will not drop enough for my price range.

PANASONIC
    42" 600HZ PLASMA FULL HD
    TX-P42S20L
    ONLINE Price : € 749.95

Thanks Guys

That seems like a great price for a full HD Plasma, Have you seen the Samsung 42" Plasma at Currys?, they are advertising for €529.99 (Model PS42C450)?, but its HD Ready rather than full HD?

I was considering this, but am leaning towards LCD now, as I think the screen plasma reflection issue might annoy me given where my TV will be situated.

Recommend taking a look here before opting for plasma.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

rsmike wrote: »
    OK, I agree its misleading, personally I would not go as far as dishonest, and really I don't expect anyone to take any notice of what I say, so I don't see it as encouraging it, just capitulating to the reality that they won and everyone calls them LED TV's and as long as I know what they are it really does not bother me.

So I cam imagine maybe sometime in 2011/2012, a guy walks into Currys and the salesman says, "Would you like to see the latest OLED TV" and the customer says, "no actually just a plain old LED TV will be fine", :D

It's a little bit like difference between a petrol or diesel engine or two-stroke with carburettor and no valves and overhead cam four-stroke with fuel injector.

OLED is the two-stroke with carburettor and no valves.

In that comparison above, an LCD TV with LED backlight isn't an engine at all, or perhaps stretching the analogy a really poor DC Electric Motor (LCD) driven by a fourstroke generator/Dynamo set (LED Backlight).

I'd prefer the real LED (which we won't see in consumer TVs any time soon, but the approx 15' / 5m diagonal HD LED panels are fairly awesome). Meanwhile LCD is a better choice 14" to 37". Bigger than that I think a DLP projector comparable cost and better, though worth paying extra for one without colour wheel (triple DLP).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paulclan

Hi all,

I have this STB and so far great.I plugged it into ethernet to the Linksys router today and entered all the static Ip settings.As I more or less expected nothing happened except on screen menu reported that the link was good.
    the Box does not appear to have the software to go further at this stage.Is this correct?Maybe it is just futureproofing?Thanks if you can comment, maybe this one for Watty or others?:) does any group hack these boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I have purchased the Sony 40EX503 and can confirm it has Irish Digital tv and also the fancy teletext :)
    I decided against buying a 3d tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pangea wrote: »
    I have purchased the Sony 40EX503 and can confirm it has Irish Digital tv and also the fancy teletext :)
    I decided against buying a 3d tv.

A few posts above Black Briar posted similar re the 50Hz version 40EX403.

The Cush wrote: »
    A few posts above Black Briar posted similar re the 50Hz version 40EX403.
    Very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭pigeon1916

rsmike wrote: »
    That seems like a great price for a full HD Plasma, Have you seen the Samsung 42" Plasma at Currys?, they are advertising for €529.99 (Model PS42C450)?, but its HD Ready rather than full HD?

I was considering this, but am leaning towards LCD now, as I think the screen plasma reflection issue might annoy me given where my TV will be situated.

Recommend taking a look here before opting for plasma.

There seem to be a lot of good deals to be had at the moment.
    I was in power city yesterday. One of the sales reps told me that most of the best deals in all the big stores are to be had over bank holiday weekends. Also ask for money off. Which they will always give you an extra markdown. something you cant get online.

Not to worried about the reflection off a Plasma as it would be the same as my current CRT. I think that most Panasonic's have a 5 year warranty which is good. I suppose the reason that I am also looking at the plasma option is for watching sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Volcane

Hi to All,

I've been a lurker on these boards for the past few months in preparation for the purchase of a new TV in the next 6-12 months BUT!! my 32 inch CRT Sony (integrated freeview MPEG2) died last week and is beyong economic repair (not 5 years old until xmas) and I'm fed up with the 14 inch portable.

I live in Tyrone and get very good RTE reception and when the MPEG2 trial was running received excellent pictures.

I want to purchase a TV 37-42 inch and probably a LCD with LED backlight and not more than £700. I was thinking of Panasonic/Sony/Philips or Samsung. I'm not overly keen to give Sony my money due to last TV not even lasting 5 years. Anything Panasonic I've had has been ultra-reliable so I thought a Panny TV may be ok but then I came across this:

""I doubt there will be a problem with the 'Freeview HD' equipment, with the possible exception of Panasonic badged equipment. The problem with their TVs up until now was they were claiming the equipment complied with the DVB-T standard (which it didn't), rather than any specific/special Saorview issues. The smart buckos in Panasonic never expected their TVs to be used for DVB-T MPEG4 transmissions. And the subsequent behaviour of their customer support in the UK, including the idiot who signed up specially to Boards to have a go at the posters here, and their blatant refusal to acknowledge the fault in their own firmware, shows just how much they "care" about their Irish clients.

As the 'Freeview HD' equipment would have been designed with MPEG4 in mind, I can't foresee any issues. If they comply with the DVB standards like they all claim, there shouldn't be any problems.""

So what is the issue with Panasonic?

What other TVs should I look at?? Currys etc don't seem to offer Philips

Any Help advice TV recommendations accepted.

• Advertisement

Tried setting the country to UK to see if I can recieve any freeview channels as Im in Donegal but no luck, still got the irish channels and it put them at the 800s and it even says freeview on the guide but just no channels :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭championc

If you're interested in a Panasonic, look at the TX-L37G20B. Richer Sounds have it on their website. It includes a FreesatHD tuner too. However, it is unclear if the ServiceType codec will be correctly handled by the G20 so you'd have to wait until feedback from other owners in early to mid November. It would appear that the Sony should be fine since they follow some Euro standard stuff whereas Panasonic setup their sets from a UK D-Book spec (whatever that is).

I'm hoping to get a G20 myself so I'm just waiting for early November when Saorview goes Live. Mind you, the price has falled by about £200 since I first started looking at this set so it's been a worthwhile wait !!

C

Volcane wrote: »
    Thats the led version of the 403,I just bought,it's a cracking set.
    Saorview works perfectly on it.

championc wrote: »
    If you're interested in a Panasonic, look at the TX-L37G20B. Richer Sounds have it on their website. It includes a FreesatHD tuner too. However, it is unclear if the ServiceType codec will be correctly handled by the G20 so you'd have to wait until feedback from other owners in early to mid November. It would appear that the Sony should be fine since they follow some Euro standard stuff whereas Panasonic setup their sets from a UK D-Book spec (whatever that is).

I'm hoping to get a G20 myself so I'm just waiting for early November when Saorview goes Live. Mind you, the price has falled by about £200 since I first started looking at this set so it's been a worthwhile wait !!

C

thanks for that, going to have a look now. My reading of UK D book is that it is quite restrictive. I'm worried that if I buy a set that is not saorview ready/approved then I would lose functionality in the same way that I lost rte whenever the MPEG2 trial finished.

I went for the EX503 instead , the 603 has 50hz while the 503 had 100 hz. Although the 603 is LED and 503 is LCD, I wasnt particularly interested in LED.
    Hope that helps, either way both smashing tvs.
    Good Information regarding LED can be seen at this link
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1149434-led-televisions-information-about-fantastic-radically-new-technology.html

Looks nice, what's the Irish, Euro price?

Pangea wrote: »
    I went for the EX503 instead , the 603 has 50hz while the 503 had 100 hz. Although the 603 is LED and 503 is LCD, I wasnt particularly interested in LED.
    Hope that helps, either way both smashing tvs.
    Good Information regarding LED can be seen at this link
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1149434-led-televisions-information-about-fantastic-radically-new-technology.html

Thanks for alerting me to the 503 it has some useful features above the 403 and doesn't have the likely unnecessary LEDs of the 603.

I think from what is available now the ex503 is hard to beat at the price esp if it comes with a 5 year warranty.

I just wish I could find out for sure if my chosen set (Sony kdl-40ex503) is fully compliant with Saorview and any potential updates.

Pangea is your set still working as expected?

603 and 503 are BOTH LCD

LED refers to Backlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

603 and 503 are BOTH LCD

LED refers to Backlight.

LG 26LE3300
    Is this also a LCD with LED backlight or a LED TV?

ttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003FMSIMM/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Advertisement

It's LCD.

There are no Domestic LED TVs (true LED), they are enormous used for public venues.
    There are some small OLED / AMOLED TVs, maybe up to 11" or 12", very very expensive (£2500! linky). OLED is really a kind of Electroluminescent panel, not LEDs in the same technology or physics as LEDs used for Backlights, torches, Large panels, Traffic lights or Indicators.

I don't know why they have started marketing LED back light LCDs as LED TVs. Makes no sense.
    BTW LED backlights can be:
    1) At edge of diffuser only, cheap and used most phones and some smaller devices as well as TVs. Uneven on large screens.
    2) Larger number behind LCD
    3) Very large number (thousands) behind LCD and adjusted in brightness to enhance contrast. Can lead to blurred edges and un-natural image.

LEDs on most backlights are "White", which are actually Blue, violet or near UV with phosphor type coatings mostly to add yellow light to give an overall "whiteness". This Colour of White is often poorer than the fatter CFL lamp (skinny florescent tubes) used traditionally for backlights in Laptops and TV LCDs.
    The best backlights are thousands of Red, Green and Blue LEDs, usually one red and one blue for each two green is correct colour balance. This gives very much improved LCD colour. If there is just general back light (hundreds rather than thousands) then RGB LEDs (R, G and B chips in a single package) may be used sometimes instead of white.

So "LED" Backlight doesn't on its own tell you much. Go watch the TV in normal lighting with controls set sensibly with Off air signal or DVD / BD you are familiar with, not the shop demo disc and controls all turned to max.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,526 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

novice wrote: »
    Xtravision are now selling the Hannspree HannJoy range of 'novelty' TVs.

I was looking at the €280 Hannspree 28" ST288M (white only?), but I am suspicious of the lack of info. Googling the model number gives almost nothing, and it seems it's so new the retailer doesn't even have a photo. (They could take these?)

I doubt very much it will support Irish DTT, and there is nothing on the Xtravision or Hannspree website about whether it includes an MPEG4 decoder. (I've found a user manual and specification on the manufacturers site for similar looking model ST288MAW, but no info on MPEG.)

Has anyone bought one? Any opinions?

And what's the story with the 16:10 aspect ratio, when everything else is 16:9?

I notice the 32" SJ-series TV states:

so I take it that the 'novelty' ST288M doesn't?

The "SJ" models are MPEG-4, the "ST" are MPEG-2.

603 and 503 are BOTH LCD

LED refers to Backlight.

The quoting of the kindly provided link and the small s in LEDs in my post was there to try and avoid this confusion

The "SJ" models are MPEG-4, the "ST" are MPEG-2.

DID are selling the HANSPREEE SJ22DMAB (22" HD LCD MPEG4) for €199.99 at the moment, seems a nice set, got at the weekend, when they had a 10% off sale, so €180

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

DID are selling the HANSPREEE SJ22DMAB (22" HD LCD MPEG4) for €199.99 at the moment, seems a nice set, got at the weekend, when they had a 10% off sale, so €180

Does it display MHEG-5? I see it in the specs, but when I went to look in DID, all the sets were on an RF feed of Sky News...you'd think they'd have an option to display the RTE HD or even RTE2, it doesn't do them justice.

rurs wrote: »
    Does it display MHEG-5? I see it in the specs, but when I went to look in DID, all the sets were on an RF feed of Sky News...you'd think they'd have an option to display the RTE HD or even RTE2, it doesn't do them justice.

Not sure yet, it's mainly for a satellite, but I hope to connect an aerial shortly. will report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wisconsin

I bought this TV from DID recently also, very pleased with it. Didn't realise it had a built-in DTT decoder. Picture quality on the test HD channel is excellent. Analogue picture is pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

See a lot of these around the place lately....how do they rate overall in quality against the likes of Samsung and Panasonic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 peterjohn25

i am on the look out for a lcd tv anything from 22" to 30". Very curious to know what the brand hannspree are like. they appear to be good value but nervous buying such an unkown brand . any advice

• Advertisement

i am on the look out for a lcd tv anything from 22" to 30". Very curious to know what the brand hannspree are like. they appear to be good value but nervous buying such an unkown brand . any advice

Review of the 28" here, the 16:10 aspect ratio sounds like it might become annoying

Advertisement