Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter Jacket

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've a Columbia outdry extreme jacket winging its way to me. Looking forward to seeing how it does

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Stark wrote: »
    Have a Columbia Outdry. Totally waterproof and breathable enough so I don't need to check the weather forecast to see if it's worth bringing, I just throw it on regardless of the weather 9 months a year (excluding summer when it gets too hot for long sleeves). Had too many "boil in the bag" issues with other waterproofs I tried.

This sounds good to me. I'm interested in a good shell for both winter and summer, that is waterproof, breathable and bright. The 'good' ones all seem to be very expensive and black. However, the columbia website doesn't have any cycling stuff??

Any other recommendations for an all-season shell would be recommended ('shell' = something light that you can just stuff into a back pocket):
    • reasonably priced (100-150 euro, say)
    • breathable
    • waterproof
    • bright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

The good stuff is black because the trait of the material that makes it impervious to penetration by rain also makes it very difficult to dye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Plastik wrote: »
    The good stuff is black because the trait of the material that makes it impervious to penetration by rain also makes it very difficult to dye.

The shakedry I got gets around this by using having the branding fluorescent. Not the same as all yellow but way better than a farmer on a bike with a black coat

TGD wrote: »
    This sounds good to me. I'm interested in a good shell for both winter and summer, that is waterproof, breathable and bright. The 'good' ones all seem to be very expensive and black. However, the columbia website doesn't have any cycling stuff??

Any other recommendations for an all-season shell would be recommended ('shell' = something light that you can just stuff into a back pocket):
    • reasonably priced (100-150 euro, say)
    • breathable
    • waterproof
    • bright

They had a hybrid active one, advertised for light trail running rather than all out hiking. That's the one I think I have coming. They do a short sleeve golf one too that I'd nearly take a punt on if this one is any use

• Advertisement

My OutDry extreme arrived. Can see how it's designed for trail running alright, not too heavy, vents in the right places, looks sturdy enough for a a bag but we'll see.

However, it's got that "wet look" that's somewhat popular now. A bit fetish wear according to a colleague

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

G1032 wrote: »
    Ordered a Mistral Pro on Monday day and it was delivered today. He also threw in an Alpe Bobble Hat for free ( that's £11.60 on the site). I was actually going to buy when one when I was buying the Mistral so was chuffed to get it for free!
    It's my second Mistral jacket. They're a class piece of kit really for Irish winter rides. I hummed and hawed over whether or not to buy the Rapha linked earlier in the thread and then thought about buying another Gabba (perfetto I think they're called now) but happy now that I have the Mistral Pro (and a Bobble Hat ��)
    Got a free pair of cycle socks with mine too. Sound chaps really. Lovely and warm so far anyway, haven't really got a good rain test yet on it.

The fleece lining on it, while lovely and cosy, is a bit odd I thought. Giving it a rinse after every spin seems like it'll kill the material quickly, but not rinsing it is gonna start smelling foul fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭G1032

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Got a free pair of cycle socks with mine too. Sound chaps really. Lovely and warm so far anyway, haven't really got a good rain test yet on it.

The fleece lining on it, while lovely and cosy, is a bit odd I thought. Giving it a rinse after every spin seems like it'll kill the material quickly, but not rinsing it is gonna start smelling foul fairly quickly.

I've had mine out twice since I got it. It's warm. Too warm maybe 🙈
    The first day I had it out I kind of knew it was probably a bit too warm starting out but sure I had a pain in my @rse to try the jacket!!
    Second day I had out it averaged 2 degrees for the 3 hours and 20 minutes. First 2 hours according to Training Peaks (temp recorded from Wahoo Elemnt Bolt) it was about -1 degrees. Temp rose up to 4 degrees in the space of about a half an hour after that. It was too warm then. My base layer was saturated with sweat. Now it was a fabulous day. Sun came out and the temp rose. There was very little breeze blowing and no rain. I'll try over the next few weeks with a lighter base layer and see how it goes..

G1032 wrote: »
    My base layer was saturated with sweat..

Sound like the Mistral pro may be a bit like their old Colombiere.

If that is the case I'd steer well clear of it, you need some thing that is somewhat breathable in Irish conditions.

Their ordinary mistral works well

Wasn't rainy enough to try the Outdry when I left early this morn, it is now though which is typical.

The Colombiere is a great jacket if you run cold, or for very cold days, but otherwise you will heat up. It's still their best looking jacket too IMO.

• Advertisement

Passed with flying colours this morning. Althought the rain ran off the top half so well, my bottom half was twice as wet

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Weepie wrote:
    Wasn't rainy enough to try the Outdry when I left early this morn, it is now though which is typical.

I wear my Outdry every day regardless of whether it's raining or not. It's super breathable. Really takes the hassle out of trying to decide if I'll need a rain jacket today or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I have an outdry walking jacket, but have worn it on cold wet bike days. It really is very nice. If they do a cycling variant, that'd be a nice thing to wear.

That said, they are bulky enough. The shakedry Goretex thing fits in one of those water bottle storage cylinders on my bike, so I always have it along. Hard to argue with.

As noted above, they don't do a cycling one, but they did do a trail running one "exhybrid" or something. It's got the same outer waterproof stuff, but is apparently much lighter than the hiking/walking range which would make sense trail running.

That said, don't think I'd get it in a pocket

I possibly got the last one available anywhere,

Third time using the shakedry this morning but first time in heavy rain. Chucked it down whole first hour of the cycle. Bone dry. Was hard to imagine how something so flimsy looking cost so much and now to imagine how it keeps you so dry. But it does !

Can see myself using it a lot, didn't bother with the mistral foul this morning, just had a thin thermal layer and club jersey underneath. Temperature wise perfect

Wore the Mistral Pro out for a 45k ride today, bout 11 degrees out. Lets just say it's great for sweating out Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 16,631 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Wore the Mistral Pro out for a 45k ride today, bout 11 degrees out. Lets just say it's great for sweating out Christmas

Far too warm for that jacket, my Mistral only gets out at less than 5 degrees.
    Had you many layers underneath?

Advertisement