Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Harvey Weinstein scandal (Mod warning in op.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It gets a hell of a lot darker if you read what Corey Feldman has to say about Hollywood.

The two Coreys seemed very messed up in the past. (And it didn’t end well for poor Haim) I don’t even want to think about what caused that to happen. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh you mean only those women who are prepared to sacrifice their livelihoods are victims.

It's funny how abusive behaviour can be so easily excused and how victims are held up to unrealistic standards and abuse is ok because nobody said anything.

If the accusations are proved then he is in the wrong, only he - no one else.

Apologies if I didn't make my point clear - I don't mean that the women who never spoke up aren't victims, and of course no one should lose their career.

However, if you went along with his proclivities and gained an advantage over those who did not - you can't now say you were badly treated.

You made a bargain, watching a fat old perv shower in return for a film role or three. Not the best decision ever made but women are entitled to make those calls if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If the accusations are proved then he is in the wrong, only he - no one else.

Apologies if I didn't make my point clear - I don't mean that the women who never spoke up aren't victims, and of course no one should lose their career.

However, if you went along with his proclivities and gained an advantage over those who did not - you can't now say you were badly treated.

You made a bargain, watching a fat old perv shower in return for a film role or three. Not the best decision ever made but women are entitled to make those calls if they want.

But the issue is that some of these women were likely in a situation where they felt they couldn't say no even though they wanted to. That not only would they not get an advantage, but that he would then go out of his way to disadvantage them. A choice made not because of what they'd gain, but out of fear of what they'd lose.

A choice made under duress isn't a true choice, and those women are absolutely entitled to say they were treated badly even if they did then get those advantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

SeanW wrote: »
    "That's locker room" - locker room when you're a conservative, inappropriate when you're a liberal Jew. :)

I expect Kelly to be fired shortly.
    President Trump made some stupid remarks.

Harvey Weinstein actually abused women. His actions went FAR beyond Trumps.

If you can't see the difference between making dumb comments and actually abusing people, it suggests at minimum a very narrow mindset.
    Trumps has sexually harassed and abused plenty of women, and his own wife stands over him sexually assaulting her during their marriage too. Doesn't make Weinstein any less of a scumbag but let's not pretend the president of the US is any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭brevity

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/917363199044972544

Meryl speaks

A few more should follow suit imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

So Hollywood logic, you can grab my pussy if there is an Oscar in it ....

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Wibbs wrote: »
    I doubt it BB. Like I said earlier when stuff like this does come out and the scapegoat is unmasked it acts as a pressure release and makes it look like Hollywood is cleaning up its act, but otherwise it's business as usual.

What may cause issues is the continuing silence of stars, particularly big name women stars who have sung this guys praises for decades. Streep an obvious one. But it's all about the profile and cash. She'll pipe up when it looks like either of those are threatened.

Indeed, Weinstein is yesterday's man and he can no longer make or break careers. He's the Ivor Callely of 'convenient sacrifices to throw under the bus'.
    I'm in the middle of re-reading 'Low Down Dirty Pictures' by Peter Biskind at the moment, it's a great book about the rise of indie cinema in the 90's and how Miramax and thus Weinstein, was an intrinsic part of it.
    That man was truly feared, a more volatile, vendictive, hyper-agressive bully with an explosive temper would be hard to find. Reading the stories that Biskind could publish (there were many he said he couldn't because nobody would go on record) you'd have no trouble believing the claims actresses have made.
    Of course Hollywood hypocracy is nothing new, but I can't help but wonder if identity politics will be the petard on which it hoists itself. There's a whole lot of virtue signalling players outraged by 'locker room talk' when the have history as dark if not darker than Weinstein's.
    I thought it interesting that the interview that brought down Milo was one in which he alluded to certian Hollywood players and the 'parties' they threw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

If I'm right he had a far worse reputation than his brother as well which says a lot as and his brother has a reputation of not exactly being the nicest guy either, his ex wife looked for a court order because she was afraid he'd physically attack her.

The 1990s independent film explosion is really interesting though, particularly how well New Line and Miramax did for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I wonder why Rose McGowan and others weren't "brave" enough to speak out 20 years ago when the "abuse" was meant to be happening ?

Clearly putting up with it got their careers progressed - and if you are willing to accept that, it's no business of mine.

But don't come the victim decades later and expect to be taken seriously.

Rose McGowan did speak out about it over the years. She has been speaking about how she was raped by a 'high profile studio head' for yesrs. According to her she tried to take it further but was advised by a lawyer that she would be dragged over the coals and particularly because she had done sex scenes in films. He paid her off in the end

It's not really about what they were "willing to accept". These and countless other women were put in an impossible position over the years by a man with immense power and clout in Hollywood. They had no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

BillyBobBS wrote: »
    I'd say this thug is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what happens in Hollywood.

Do know who used to be regarded as a major Hollywood scumbag back in the day?

Joseph Kennedy. He owned 3 studios in the 1920s just as the talkies were becoming popular. These would eventually be merged, becoming RKO in the process.

Read up about how he conducted his business in LA and what he did to the likes of Gloria Swanson. That bastard was one of the most odious creatures ever to walk this planet, as crooked and dangerous as they came.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

There'll be more of this, a lot more, as people die or lose their influence. An absolute ****load of classic films are going to be ruined over the next ten years or so I'll tell you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Rose McGowan did speak out about it over the years. She has been speaking about how she was raped by a 'high profile studio head' for yesrs. According to her she tried to take it further but was advised by a lawyer that she would be dragged over the coals and particularly because she had done sex scenes in films. He paid her off in the end

It's not really about what they were "willing to accept". These and countless other women were put in an impossible position over the years by a man with immense power and clout in Hollywood. They had no choice.

Plus McGowan says that at the time, the Weinsteins were financing her then boyfriend, Robert Rodriguez's, film. She was afraid if she did come forward, she'd harm his career too.

That's how he (and likely others) had the power to do what they did and keep people quiet; the power they held in Hollywood and over these people's careers, and their legal team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

fryup wrote: »
    the "casting couch" has been there since the beginning of Hollywood

how'd you think crap actresses like Sharon Stone got so many parts

I thought it had to do with her distaste for wearing undies and ability to suck golf balls through a hose. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It gets a hell of a lot darker if you read what Corey Feldman has to say about Hollywood.

I read an interview of his a few years ago, from what I remember one of the people he was alluding to seemed close to his parents and also if you were familiar with him and Hollywood it wouldn't take much digging around to figure out who he was talking about.
    I'm surprised he just doesn't come out with the whole story, it's not as if he has a career that can be destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is this America's Jimmy Savile ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Noel82

fryup wrote: »
    is this America's Jimmy Savile ?

Not even close. If stories about child molestation come out then yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Ah so Saint Meryl has come forward to pontificate now she's certain her career and cash flow is safe from repression isn't she great a truly brave woman

Now back to discussing her holiday to Romans French hideaway

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ah so Saint Meryl has come forward to pontificate now she's certain her career and cash flow is safe from repression isn't she great a truly brave woman

Now back to discussing her holiday to Romans French hideaway

I find it hard to believe that Meryl Streep, one of the most lauded and well connected actresses in Hollywood, had never heard anything about Weinstein behaving in an inappropriate manner before. It's been all over gossip and blind item sites for years. So if us regular folk heard about it, guaranteed it's common knowledge in the industry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Biggest lickspittle on boardz

And this story just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Matt Damon and Russell Crowe have now been dragged into this controversy as it has been revealed that the two tried to influence a journalist to drop a story about Weinstein's inappropriate behaviour.
    Matt Damon may soon be forced to comment on the decades of sexual harassment Harvey Weinstein inflicted upon his staff and a number of Hollywood actresses after one of those stars took aim at the Oscar-winning writer and star of 'Good Will Hunting.'

One day after Sharon Waxman revealed in a post on The Wrap that she had been working on an expose about Weinstein until Damon and actor Russell Crowe called her directly to try and bury the piece, Rose McGowan lashed out at the actor.

'Hey @Mattdamon what’s it like to be a spineless profiteer who stays silent?' wrote McGowan Monday afternoon, hours after calling on the entire board at Weinstein Company to step down for being complicit in covering up the executive's actions.

McGowan also acknowledged a few of Damon's similarly tongue-tied pals, tweeting: 'Ben Affleck Casey Affleck, how’s your morning boys?'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4963380/Matt-Damon-Russell-Crowe-helped-spike-Weinstein-expos.html#comments

The power Weinstein wields is utterly extraordinary.

To think he can command A-list celebrities on a whim is jaw dropping.

We really are going to see one hell of a scandal as the house of cards collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

And this story just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Matt Damon and Russell Crowe have now been dragged into this controversy as it has been revealed that the two tried to influence a journalist to drop a story about Weinstein's inappropriate behaviour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4963380/Matt-Damon-Russell-Crowe-helped-spike-Weinstein-expos.html#comments

The power Weinstein wields is utterly extraordinary.

To think he can command A-list celebrities on a whim is jaw dropping.

We really are going to see one hell of a scandal as the house of cards collapses.

I don't think its all that surprising the amount of power someone like Weinstein commands when you take into account how much money these A list actors and directors are paid. This is not so much a case of following the company line to just get a job but more a job that pays millions and millions of dollars in a very short amount of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

brevity wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/yashar/status/917363199044972544

Meryl speaks

A few more should follow suit imo.

Meryl has no backbone. She gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation at the 2003 Oscars. She's a hypocritical coward.
    40 years at the top of Hollywood and it's highest paid actress- yet she never heard a whisper?

Think back to her Oscar's speech and how she went on ad nauseam about Trump. When you put yourself out there as some kind of champion for people's rights, you should champion for all people even where it might hurt your wallet or a friendship. It's easy to piss where the wind is blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Email leaked that he apparently sent around certain circles within Hollywood trying to garner some support:

HWemail.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

He's a sick puppy. Sure it's no different to asking his Hollywood friends to bail him out down through the years, which they happily obliged. Only difference this time is it went public first.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

anna080 wrote: »
    It's easy to piss where the wind is blowing.
    Wouldn't that be more difficult for a lady?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Oh I'm delighted to see Matt Damon implicated if true can't watch his movies anymore another sanctimonious pain in the hole

The icing on the cake will be if George Clooney is caught up some way.

Mr. Europe must let in more refugees but then fled his Italian home as its become "too dangerous" when they swapped his own little part

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Whole people are desperate to find fame people like this prosper.
    I find it impossible to believe Meryl Streep didn't know anything about his behaviour. I'm guessing every person in Hollywood did especially the higher up the food chain ones.
    Their ability including SNL to denounce Donald trump at every turn yet support, silently and otherwise, Harvey Weinstein is truly sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

The Guardian have listed various men that have worked with Weinstein that they have reached out to for comment but have received no response.

The implication being guilt through silence. Perhaps these people are unwilling to comment because the ball is already firmly rolling on Weinstein's demise and don't want to join the sideshow of "look who the latest is to release a statement" and make this scandal about themselves. Or hell, maybe there is guilt by association and they are ****ed imminently, a statement won't help them now. I mean Kate Winslet seems to be one of the few who has made a statement worth making in that at least she acknowledged knowing of the open secret.

Weinstein has disgraced himself and has gotten fired from his own company, so the man obviously has no pull anymore. Now it's time to unearth the facts and let justice be done, not to fuel some media sideshow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I find it impossible to believe Meryl Streep didn't know anything about his behaviour. I'm guessing every person in Hollywood did especially the higher up the food chain ones.
    +1. They're either claiming they didn't because they're thick, quite possible with some actors*, or they turned a blind eye because he was keeping the greasy till ringing on their careers.

*they can be so good at inhabiting another personality and be great at their job, because they have little personality themselves. Streep doesn't seem to know what she thinks or represents. Praising Weinstein and Polanski. The latter particularly odious considering his "tastes" were well known and he was a fugitive from US law for drugging and raping a 13 year old girl and she can't hide behind any notion praising him was good for her career. All the while touting her "feminist" credentials, while also praising Maggie Thatcher.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

As with any bully, the very second he was exposed he immediately started to play the victim (I need therapy and counselling) and tried to deflect (a lot of these rumors are false) from what he has been doing seemingly for a very long time along with a healthy dose of guilt tripping people he has helped with innuendo (can you send me a letter of support, please?? this could destroy the company!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that Meryl Streep, one of the most lauded and well connected actresses in Hollywood, had never heard anything about Weinstein behaving in an inappropriate manner before. It's been all over gossip and blind item sites for years. So if us regular folk heard about it, guaranteed it's common knowledge in the industry

That same gossip has been prevelent for years regards a couple of high profile gay Hollywood power brokers also.
    It was very telling that the outrage over the interview that brought down Milo Yiannopoulos focused exclusively on his dismissive experience of abuse by an older man but had zero to say about his allusions as to what went on at the 'parties' he attended as a young man running with this Hollywood set and how very young and vunerable some of the attendees were in that same interview.

Nobody was going to touch that angle and you have to wonder if the media machine that ramped up against Milo was engagued to shred the credibility of a 'loose lipped' attendee before anybody could ask, 'so Milo, tell us more about these parties and the teen boys that seemed to be there the be used and abused by the Hollywood elite?', certiantly both Corey Feldman and Elijah Wood probably know exactly what he was talking about.

Advertisement