Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MUP was obviously a failure.

Drombeg Irish Whiskey (Liqueur) is still only €12.15

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/results?q=drombeg

That's like half a teenager's pocket money or something!!!

* The numpties when making the case for MUP falsely claimed that you could buy a bottle of Drombeg whiskey for €11 pre MUP

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Because the general populace of this country are thickos or no spine to stand up the establishment. (Which is big business interests)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭HBC08

It's unfortunate that this wasn't delayed for another 6 months.At this point the cost of living crisis would have hit and they simply wouldn't have been able to bring it in.

As it is the sad reality is that most people don't even know it happened.A lot of the people who know it came in think it's a tax that goes to the exchequer.Some are claiming we need a change of government like this kind of thing wouldn't happen if SF were in,they are unaware that this measure was unilaterally supported (SF as per usual did complain about it,they wanted it higher)

Outside of this thread there's no outrage,it's here to stay and AAI aren't finished yet,there's more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭dubrov

I know it has cross party support but at the end of the day it was this government who ultimately made it happen and the ones I hold responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The anti-alcohol radicals are allready making plans to introduce warning labels on bottles and cans... We will end up paying for that nonsense plus if it comes to pass some importers just won't bother leaving less choice for the average man or woman who enjoy a glass or whatever at the end of the day or week to keep them from going mad thinking about how all their taxes are constantly squandered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They didn't just make it happen, they rushed it through. This, the most inept government we have ever had, so it is not too surprising. There is a very good post somewhere from about a month back that lists all the things that were never checked or passed before implementing this. It is also illegal as per EU rules, so technically these idiots should be made answerable to it, or at least be forced to reverse it with immediate effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This thread started in 2016. It was in response to years of media reports forecasting MUP. The legislation was passed in October 2018, after the usual debates and committees. Finally introduced in November 2021. And you think it was rushed through?

The EU never declared it illegal, and as far as I know nobody in Ireland ever asked them to rule on it. They sent the challenges against the Scottish law back to the UK courts, saying it was for national legislatures to decide on MUP in their own countries.

No need for radicals to do anything, labelling is part of the legislation.

An Act to provide for the minimum price per gram of alcohol, to confer the power on the Minister for Health to, by order, increase that price, to provide for the labelling of alcohol products including the inclusion of health warnings and the alcohol content and energy content of alcohol products on alcohol product containers

It was rushed through, yes. There was a push for it last year for it to be rushed through without waiting for Northern Ireland which was agreed. The goal of it was to put a floor price on alcohol throughout the island of Ireland to prevent people from looking for lower priced alcohol (I refuse to use the word 'cheap' in reference, as it didn't exist). But by rushing it through without the North, they have created a separate problem that they were aware of might be caused.

Price discrimination is already illegal in the EU, it would be up to those contesting the law to prove that is what it is. There are already links posted on this thread going back at least three or four times showing how it is, so I won't be looking too hard for other references. There was a more recent version of this, posted last year.

Do you agree with the principle of MUP, and it is just a matter of the timing that you disagree with? Nothing that you will find online trumps the courts decision that national courts and parliaments are where MUP is to be decided.

"As the froth surrounding the European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruling on the Scottish minimum unit pricing (MUP) case subsides, only one conclusion is appropriate; the Court remains agnostic.

At first glance, the ruling may appear ambiguous, yet nevertheless it provides one very clear outcome: EU agriculture rules do not prevent national governments from setting a minimum price for alcohol.

After hearing extensive arguments in May on this point from the Scotch Whisky Association and four EU member states opposed to the Scottish legislation, the ECJ rejected their interventions on this point.

This opens the way for Scotland and Ireland - which, in December, announced plans to also implement MUP - to use one of the most effective policy instruments to fight alcohol-related harm.

Media reaction to the ruling focused on the Court’s ambivalence as to whether taxation would be more effective than MUP, rather than on the substance of the decision.

The Court stated that were raising taxes as effective as MUP, introducing the latter would be barred by the 'proportionality principle'. This led to the Scotch Whisky Association claiming victory, an error that many journalists regrettably fell for.

However, the final say on which measure should be introduced is passed back to the Scottish Court. They are seen as best-placed to judge the likely effectiveness and proportionality in relation to its objectives of reducing alcohol harm.

This is good news for health. The evidence on the effectiveness of MUP is solid and has only increased over recent years.

The greatest advantage of MUP over increased taxation is that it guarantees price changes, while higher excise duties are in practice often absorbed by producers and retailers. This is because they know equally as well as health advocates that higher prices are effective at curbing consumption."

• Advertisement

Do you agree with the principle of MUP, and it is just a matter of the timing that you disagree with?

No, not at all. It is imho an idiotic policy that was never going to work, and creates an unfair market whilst also making the retailers and producers wealthier. Rewarding them for creating and selling a drug that some (the same) people want banned. It is beyond ludicrous. It was lobbied for by the publicans and off licences for God's sake.

It so far has shown no signs of working in Scotland with three independent reviews. To add to that both drug deaths and alcohol deaths are rising. Education would be a better system.

Nothing that you will find online trumps the courts decision that national courts and parliaments are where MUP is to be decided.

Yes, MUP should be decided by the EU court, using their law as reference. The relevant points have been made throughout this thread.

I have also read that wall of quotes, I have no idea where they came from, and therefore no real interest in them,. For all I know they are a sun journalists opinion.

At first glance, the ruling may appear ambiguous, yet nevertheless it provides one very clear outcome: EU agriculture rules do not prevent national governments from setting a minimum price for alcohol.

I'm pretty sure that is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Treat everyone as bad as the degenerates , that'll fix all the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think it 'could' be defeated legally as there are a few areas where it might breach other European laws (in which case an EU court decides which law has precedence). I'm thinking of a) cartel/monopoly rules as imo it clearly acts as a barrier to new entrants as price discounting is a standard 'new product' tactic. Very few new products ever make it without an introductory extreme discount phase. And b) it might clash with some waste/green directives as discounting of short-date stock is an accepted move to reduce stock wastage.

But taking a case to a European Court is an expensive business and no-one is particularly incentivised to spend a few million on a case they may ultimately lose, or even if they win may just lead to an immediate tweak in the law to close off a 'loophole', a Pyrrhic victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You have a point. As a guinness drinker the only thing that I'll drink at home are the nitrosurge cans, (15 euros for 6 cans), shur I may as well go to the local at those prices...and I have been. This joke law only serves the VFI, nothing to do with health.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

The only issue with the court was the UK was leaving the EU. So they pushed it back to the UK courts I.E Scottish IIRC. As it's not impacting trade to the EU from here no one will take a case. Would have to be someone In the EU wanting to trade here but cant see them having any Issue with making more money.

Would have to be someone In the EU wanting to trade here but cant see them having any Issue with making more money.

Unless it was somebody who was trying to enter out market as mentioned above. Our market is considered fairly small, but if, for example a fairly big beer in Europe that was unheard of here, decided to launch here, they may want to run some sort of promotion or campaign to get their foot in. That is less likely to happen if they have no choice but to enter the market at the same price as Heineken, Bud, Carlsberg etc..

They may likely have the funds to fight it, but is it worth their time and effort? You would imagine with us all being raging alcoholics that they would be fighting for a share..

Don't get me wrong I never have supported MUP. Just will have to be some company that goes to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

And realistically all the relevant parties in Ireland have a vested interest in not doing anything - might be a different story if the extra cost was actually going to the government for medical care etc

Oh on a side note and not to denigrate our Ukrainian guests. But Eastern Europe loves the old booze will AAI be sneaky enough to put added drinking from new arrivals into our figures ? I mean in most of the places there in Booze is the only outlet.

When you see this it just hammers it home who MUP was really for the benefit of (I know Daily Mirror...)

Later pub openings move a step closer as plans for new extended Nitelink routes announced by Transport Minister Eamon Ryan (msn.com)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If I win the euromillions il challenge this in Europe,.if nothing more than to absolutely piss off the zealots in this thread and the same loopers on Twitter straight out of their psuedo Iona christian nationol front collective busy body involvement into other people's lives.

So soon we will be able to get a drink at pretty much any time of the day or night.

There maybe 4 hours in the day when we can't walk into a place and buy a drink.

But MUP is introduced because a small portion of us can't be trusted to look after themselves.

Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What's the bets they wont loosen up the off licence sales if they loosen up the on trade hours?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Zero chance. I'm actually surprised they haven't looked to go to Systembolaget hours (10-6 mon-fri, 10-3 sat, no sun).

Don't give them ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭brick tamland

So is this the fudge the government are going to use to get rid of it. Clearly not working and crazy in a time of high inflation

i dont really care what excuse they use, just hope its gone asap. Come back soon the €15 slabs

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Talk about stating the obvious. Went up North 2 weeks ago. Bought 23 slabs of Carling at £11 each in Sainsburys. The same product down here is €26 in Tescos. That's a 50% saving per slab. Also bought some spirits and others stuff. Went with a friend who stocked up on wine also. Think he got around 35 bottles. Saved a small fortune and a day out also!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Alcohol Action Ireland and Pat Kenny trying to tell the country this morning that the increase in Alcohol related deaths in Scotland isn't a sign that MUP hasn't worked over there!!

AAI are clearly trying to link MUP to health benefits. What they don't seem to grasp is most people will start drinking stronger alternatives for their 20 euro than a few bottles of beer or whatever.

I have zero issue with the banning of own brand spirits etc that were being sold for a tenner for 70cl. A 70cl bottle of tesco vodka can do serious damage to both health in a relatively short space of time and also cause huge social issues for the homeless drinking it etc. But targeting the cans etc is just a plain mistake and someone needs to step up a admit it. I get that selling a 24x500ml slab of heineken for 10quid was a piss take. But the minimum should be no greater than €1 for a 500ml can. €24 for a slab of 24. I think most people would have accepted that we either ban the selling of stronger own brand budget spirits at the price they were going for and they would be happy enough a €1.00 a can.

This is utter madness and lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I was in a pub selling below MUP, not that I was complaining or drawing attention to it but surprised to see it.

• Advertisement

I get that selling a 24x500ml slab of heineken for 10quid was a piss take.

The only reason that really happened was in preparation for MUP.

It doesn't seem to be working on any level, and everything that was suggested would happen if it was introduced, seems to have happened.

Advertisement