Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mother of god.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

it's a day for it; walking through the combined car park/rat run at the local spar, a chap came gunning through in a car, towards me, and took umbrage at me telling him to slow down.
    'no, *you* slow down' was his considered response.

That car park is awful for people just not looking.

Mc Love wrote: »
    This was me on my first week back. Genuinely frightening but have adjusted my cycling to ride more defensively especially at tight spots like this

Jesus :eek:

Good on the driver behind checking on you. Easy to say with hindsight but I'd have asked them if they had dash cam of that one. You hardly got the reg from yours? Disgraceful driving , couldn't sit behind you a few seconds until the road is clear. Video demonstrates that people can properly over take a cyclist but all it takes is one gob****e to put you and others in serious danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

They shouldn't be on the road, hard to see exactly so they crossed over the white line to pass you straight into on coming traffic and then pulled in sharply just in front of you when the on coming car beeped?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jesus :eek:

Good on the driver behind checking on you. Easy to say with hindsight but I'd have asked them if they had dash cam of that one. You hardly got the reg from yours? Disgraceful driving , couldn't sit behind you a few seconds until the road is clear. Video demonstrates that people can properly over take a cyclist but all it takes is one gob****e to put you and others in serious danger.

Yeah it was fair nice of them, tbh I was so shaken by it, I didnt even think to ask or even try to shout out the reg so I could pick it up on the camera. I literally shouted aaargh because I thought I was going to be hit. I was raging I couldnt pick up the reg, tried to edit the video but nothing seemed to work. Bought a drift ghost x for a more stable image should it happen again but I've changed how I cycle on that road now, to be more closer to the white line as you know any chance of them overtaking you in a dangerous location they will.

I've been trying to notice reg plates the last few days but even then its quite hard to see them due to the insufficient lighting of the lights and most seemed to be really dirty
    tnegun wrote: »
    They shouldn't be on the road, hard to see exactly so they crossed over the white line to pass you straight into on coming traffic and then pulled in sharply just in front of you when the on coming car beeped?

They overtook on a slight bend here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6386782,-8.6322173,3a,37y,16.41h,87.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZkM07rS9_x95X_q1iYVXgQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

They were fully over the white line, didnt see the oncoming lights, were still half over the white line when the oncoming car beeped them, and still more or less on the other side when passing the second oncoming car.

I was actually close to tears such was the shock I got.

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »

They overtook on a slight bend here: https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.6386782,-8.6322173,3a,37y,16.41h,87.33t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZkM07rS9_x95X_q1iYVXgQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

They were fully over the white line, didnt see the oncoming lights, were still half over the white line when the oncoming car beeped them, and still more or less on the other side when passing the second oncoming car.

I was actually close to tears such was the shock I got.

That puts it into perspective alright. I'm lucky in that for the bulk of the 80kph sections of my commute I've a hard shoulder to use the bits without are similar country roads and are nerve wracking for their short duration.

That stretch is 50 km/h and rightly so. There is a hard shoulder on the opposite side of the road but you cycle in it at your own peril as drivers will definitely close pass you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

@McLove
    That is shocking. It really is amazing the amount of clean cars with dirty reg plates. Deliberate. Shame on AGS for tolerating this and cars with blown bulbs.

I dont think they realise the danger they put themselves in by driving like that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

One of the responses to Mc Love's criminal pass...

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1201869354608025600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Primary. Primary. Primary.

If I'm riding that road like that with traffic on the other side meaning no way for cars to pass me safely, then you'll find me slap bang in the middle of the lane- just put a stop to all that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Jesus McLove, that was rough. Those roads don't look the best. I think i'd take cycling through Dublin CC before those roads.

Speaking of which, the South Quays were a nightmare yesterday evening at five. It was like there was one long double decker bus parked in the bike lane from O'Connell Bridge all the way down to the City Council Buildings where i turn off.

Duckjob wrote: »
    Primary. Primary. Primary.

If I'm riding that road like that with traffic on the other side meaning no way for cars to pass me safely, then you'll find me slap bang in the middle of the lane- just put a stop to all that nonsense.

That's easy enough said but on a road like that you can suddenly find yourself being passed and then traffic approaching on the other side pushes the passing cars closer and it would of done nothing in this instance as the car almost completely crossed the white line the danger here was if they collided with the on coming car and ended up hitting Mc Love.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 victor17

Not a near-miss, but what's the deal with some of these 'professional' coach drivers? I had in no way delayed him yet he just had to beep at me when I wasn't even in his lane and he was turning right further down the road anyway. :confused: You can see him gesticulating towards the end point of the cycle lane / footpath at the end of the video.

https://streamable.com/41z2v

victor17 wrote: »
    Not a near-miss, but what's the deal with some of these 'professional' coach drivers? I had in no way delayed him yet he just had to beep at me when I wasn't even in his lane and he was turning right further down the road anyway. :confused: You can see him gesticulating towards the end point of the cycle lane / footpath at the end of the video.

There seems to be a scary percentage of the public that believe that cyclists must wear helmets, wear high viz and use cycle paths. Presumably this belief is propogated mainly by the crap from the RSA.
    However, I'm aghast at the number of so-called professional drivers that believe this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Had similar yesterday evening, truck driver with a total lack of anticipation who struggled to overtake on a dual carriageway:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

There seems to be a scary percentage of the public that believe that cyclists must wear helmets, wear high viz and use cycle paths. Presumably this belief is propogated mainly by the crap from the RSA.
    However, I'm aghast at the number of so-called professional drivers that believe this nonsense.

Ha, If that is their attitude, I'm sure they check their lights, tires, fluid etc regularly as the RSA recommend. Not to mention doing a visual walk around every day.

Ignorant cow in 07-TN-3272 (ironically I went this route from liffey valley because I thought it would be safer :rolleyes:)
    Went to my local station this evening only to be told that I could make a statement but the only action the Garda could take was based on this and then we'd head to court.
    He couldn't contact her to warn her without a statement: the video could not be considered evidence (it needed to be a statement).
    I left because I was in a rush to get home. :(

I think we've the same one, they're useless so I've given up reporting there. Had stuff stolen from the from of my house low value but it was the principal. I had CCTV, stills and got the guys names spent hours in the station waiting around then giving statement, got called back another statement then the guard went AWOL and I got fed up was told I'd have to make the report again last time I called!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

That stretch just seems to wind up certain drivers. Its a classic "there is a bike lane, use it". If you were to use it tho you'd never get anywhere as they all end with a yield to a constantly busy road..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Yet another car that sailed through the first roundabout at the Castleknock Gate end of Chesterfield Avenue this morning without yielding or even slowing. He’d have taken me out of it despite a strong front light and the much fabled high vis if I hadn’t stopped and roared at him. He slowed down after existing the roundabout to utter what I can only hope was an apology but never caught his words. Have the registration so might call traffic watch later to report as find it the most dangerous section of my commute which includes the full length of the quays morning and evening. They have cones circling the roundabout at present due to works but most brain dead morning commuters ignore its status and just veer around it.

Same again this morning, black Vokswagen transporter van entered the roundabout which I was already circling. I let a roar which caused him to lock the front wheels and halt the engine half way into the roundabout and I continued on. Surprised the car behind didn't rear end him also.
    I took a mental note of the reg but checking the details now some hours later and they don't match the description. In future I'll pull in and write it in the phone and/or take a picture if vehicle still on the scene which might give the motorist some food for thought for the day ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

kenmm wrote: »
    That stretch just seems to wind up certain drivers. Its a classic "there is a bike lane, use it". If you were to use it tho you'd never get anywhere as they all end with a yield to a constantly busy road..

and the sightlines at the crossings that the lane does bring you to are extremely dangerous.
    I do use that cycle lane, but i join the road to go through the roundabouts.

Also, they've forgotten to put dipped kerbs for crossing when they re-did the roundabout at Intel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

buffalo wrote: »
    Had similar yesterday evening, truck driver with a total lack of anticipation who struggled to overtake on a dual carriageway:

Why didn't you use the cycle path that is right there, right beside you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

stoneill wrote: »

Shared space, unlit pedestrians, no access points, slippy grates, poorly marked, creates dangerous interactions at junctions. Why not ask why the lorry was unable to move over and overtake without hassle on a dual carriageway where there was plenty of space and time to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Because it wasn't convenient for me.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Shared space, unlit pedestrians, no access points, slippy grates, poorly marked, creates dangerous interactions at junctions. Why not ask why the lorry was unable to move over and overtake without hassle on a dual carriageway where there was plenty of space and time to do so?

Don't forget full of assorted rubbish and probably most of this year's leaf fall. Another example of how poor or bad cycle lanes are worst than none at all. That driver thought he was 100% in the right to blow you out of it as a cycle lane existed in the vicinity. Probably working on the Intel site and might be worth an email to them on the PR front.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Steoller

Because it leads to a roundabout, where if you are

a) exiting left, you are dumped onto a cyclelane that has more craters on it than the moon,

b)going straight ahead or right, you are brought to a crossing point with useless sightlines to traffic exiting the roundabout. You have to hope no-one comes off the roundabout at speed when you start to cross. -much safer to go around the roundabout in the traffic lane.

Cycle paths are designed by people ejo never use them and will therefore never properly understand why people won't use them.
    Motorists passing them see what appears to be a brilliant facility not being used which adds to the ill-informed resentment against cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Cycle paths are designed by people ejo never use them and will therefore never properly understand why people won't use them.
    Motorists passing them see what appears to be a brilliant facility not being used which adds to the ill-informed resentment against cyclists.

Very well said. Some of the problems i find with them on my commute:
    • Holes in them
    • Man hole covers that protrude up through the paths
    • Some of them inexplicably end and lead you directly out in conflict with other road users
    • People have a tendency to leave their bins in them
    • Pedestrians
    • Cars parked in them
    • And multiple other feckin reasons because they're badly designed in the main

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

very eerie sequence of events in one street last week.

waiting at red lights at Fitzwilliam Street Lower and Lower Baggot Street on way home. Lady passes on the bike with her child in the child seat heading south. Taxi driver right behind her must not have seen her despite it being bright, screeched brakes last second and swerved right into the next lane to avoid back-ending them. Honestly thought it was all over for them - the swerve was something else and had another car been there there would have been some bang.

Just pulling myself together and I continued up Fitzwilliam Street to Leeson Street X where, with lights just having turned green, I cycled towards Adelaide Road. My front wheel was almost on the other side when a Land Rover came up from my left over the bridge through the red lights. so close. closest ever I'd say.

Advertisement