Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What Cocktails are you drinking lately?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

oh I've just bottled some cider I made from this year's apples

will deffo be using some of it for this!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Another dessert rather than a cocktail but it is booze related.

Someone had very kindly gifted be a bottle of Lindemann's Kriek because they knew I liked Lambics. However, this is a sweet Kriek and not to my taste at all.

So, was having some friends around for dinner and was wondering about a last minute, easy dessert. Wife suggested poached pears as we had 4 small pears. Then she suggested poaching in the Kriek!

I liked the idea a lot. Into a small pot went the peeled pears and the bottle of Kriek. I added a bit more sugar, star anise, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and liquorice root and poached for about 35 minutes and left them to cool in the liquid.

To serve, I crushed up some ginger nuts and mixed with natural yoghurt. This acted as a cement base for the pears. I reduced the cooking liquid to a syrup and poured the warm syrup over the pears and grated a little 95% chocolate over and served a rye cracker alongside.

The spiced Kriek syrup was really, really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Had one of these recently in a restaurant and it was fab!

• Blood Orange Old Fashioned
    • Bourbon, smoked demerara syrup, blood orange oil

Would anyone have any tips on replicating this at home i.e. where to get ingredients and what quantities to use? Also for anyone that has bought a cocktail set what would you recommend and where to buy from.

Many thanks in advance......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd say something like:

2oz bourbon

.5oz Demerara syrup

Dash of blood orange oil

Celtic Whiskey Shop is great for cocktail supplies. You can also make Demerara syrup at home. Blood orange oil might be trickier to find.

Urban Bar do some decent cocktail sets, as do A Bar Above. Starting off, you want a shaker, strainer, muddler and jigger, and a citrus juicer. If you like an old fashioned, I'd also invest in a ice cube tray that makes large cubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Thanks a mill Dont be at yourself that's very helpfull!! Must get shopping.... 🤗

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,875 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

LIDL have some specials on cocktail ingredients on Thursday 18th.

* Triple Sec 500ml for €9.99

* Cherry Brandy 500ml for €9.99

* Creme de Cassis 500ml for €9.99

* Espresso Martini 500ml for €12.99

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Gonna buy at least 6 bottles of triple sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

I checked in our local Lidl in Carrick on Shannon. Nothing. Rather dissapointing.

A lazy cocktail tonight... but a nice one.

* 50ml Roe & Co Curators Series 0.1 (46%)

* 50ml Vit-Hit Berry

* Juice of 1 lime wedge

* 1 large ice cube

* Shake in cocktail shaker and pour

Sipped slowly while watching saloon bar action in western series 1883.

Been making a half-hearted attempt at Dry January, and drinking a couple of mocktails I found on YouTube:

Orgeat, basil, lemon juice and soda water: very refreshing, and the orgeat and basil bring a bit of depth to it missing from a lot of mocktails

Grey Fox (Earl grey syrup, lemon juice, egg white, tonic water): This one is absolutely delicious, worth the small faff of making up the tea syrup.

Source video here for those curious: https://youtu.be/5wgvpo-xBnA

Anybody have go-to non-alcoholic recipes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Christmas Cocktail recommendation

I've been experimenting at recreating a cocktail I had before a Christmas party pre covid and have never seen anywhere since. Anyway I thought I might share my Spiced Apple Daquiri recipe

The tricky bit to figure out was how to get the big cinnamon hit without resorting to ground cinnamon which leaves a powdery texture on the tongue or going nuclear with red aftershock so I went with a spiced syrup instead of simple syrup, not difficult to make and is great added to coffee to make a christmassy coffee too apparently, I don't do sugar in coffee so I haven't tried it but Mrs9 loved it.

Spiced Syrup Prep - 1 part by volume Gem Dark Brown Sugar, 1 part by volume water and an optional squeeze of maple syrup, make as much or as little as you like, boil it up and stir, once dissolved add a cinnamon stick and leave to cool and infuse for 24h or more, you can bottle off the boil and add the cinnamon stick to infuse in the bottle.

That's all the prep really, everything else is cheating, in addition to my spiced syrup, I used Ridge Valley Lime and Ginger Cordial from Aldi, cloudy apple juice from Lidl and Bacardi Spiced Rum on special at SuperValu (€20ish IIRC).

For 2 people

4 Irish measures of Spiced Rum (~140ml)

2 Irish measures of Lime and Ginger Cordial (~70ml)

1/2 Irish measure of Spiced Syrup (18ml) add a little more or less to find your own balance

300ml Cloudy Apple Juice

Add all to a shaker and some ice, do the whole shaky shaky thing and pour into cosmo glasses rimmed with lime and the dark brown sugar

I've been drinking Negronis, with cacao-nib infused Campari. Like drinking a boozy chocolate orange.

I did Gingerbread Espresso Martinis last weekend, and I'll be doing Hot Buttered Rum this week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had a whiskey espresso martini in the pub the other day after food. Was a pretty nice dessert.

Whiskey instead of Vodka was it?

Rum ginger sour.

50ml golden rum

10ml cointreau

25ml lime juice

20ml Belvoir ginger cordial (half half cordial and simple syrup if you don't want it too gingery)

Dash of bitters

1 egg white.

Shake without ice, then shake with ice and pour into suitably small glass.

Its that time of year... watching Peter Ustinov as Hercule Poirot on Death on the Nile. One of his favourite tipples is creme de cassis.

3 parts Method Madness Single Grain

1 part Creme de Cassis

Dash bitters

2 parts Cranberry Juice

1 part Classic Coke (or simple syrup if you have it)

Ice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Had a Pink lady and a white Lady last night highly recommend!

thinking of possibly trying a purple lady with cassis? Or a green one with Apple liquor?

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Excellent thread ...well done contributors...got a lot of ideas.

Just one thing ..when you say "shake over ice" is it crushed ice or ice cubes ....or does it matter ??

Also apart from the Aquafaba can anyone recommend any good substitute for egg white ?

• Advertisement

Usually cubes. The smaller the ice, the more the dilution. You may or may not want that.

My local uses an egg white substitute that's also a bitters which seems a bit odd but the cocktails are great. I'll come back with a brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Thanks Beer....much appreciated .

The name of the brand and where it might be got would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

had a Revolver Cocktail the other night - but made it with crested rather than bourbon. I liked it, although i didn't have orange bitters to add...

also had a duck fart (stupid name) - a baby guinness but with a third layer of whiskey on top.

it was Ms. Better's Bitters Miraculous Foamer from Celtic Whiskey Shop, but they are out of stock atm.

These foamers are pricy but go quite a long way.

Edit: I see CWS have Fee Brother's Fee Foam in stock - much cheaper but I don't have experience of it.

Might give that revolver one a go this evening. Sounds up my street.

I've no orange bitters, but Ango will do I suppose - Kahlua and Woodford Reserve Rye might be nice

Advertisement