Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let me push that stool in for you: the off-topic thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I wouldn't be too happy releasing a product that got recalled

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RasTa wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too happy releasing a product that got recalled

How can a so called newspaper do an "article" on the launch of a beer, the first batch of which was recalled, and not mention this fact?
    It should be marked as an advertorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"....her main role is developing new beers globally for Diageo, an alcohol company most famous for brewing Guinness."

That line probably tells you all you need to know about them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Presumbly served alongside a round of Irish Car Bombs...

https://twitter.com/WorstBeerBlog/status/1354222857904033794

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Weird to name a beer after a type of pension account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

irish_goat wrote: »
    Presumbly served alongside a round of Irish Car Bombs...

https://twitter.com/WorstBeerBlog/status/1354222857904033794

https://woodk8889.wixsite.com/website

Big pile of "WHAT?!?!?!?!??"

The European Commission is floating the possibility that when you bring alcohol and tobacco home from abroad you should be liable for Irish taxes on it. No idea how they would expect that to work, but it's not a good sign.

You can respond to the consultation here until 23rd April.

That's just mad. Especially as there will be duty free to/from Britain...

Life ain't always empty.

I reckon (if they do it) they'll just apply duty-free rules everywhere in the EU, and abolish the Blue Channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,868 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I can't see what's in it for say France, Spain, Italian exchequers from it... i.e. the big tourist destinations.
    People would stop bringing the stuff back with them to Ireland, Scandinavia etc.

And what about land crossings, going to stop every car between Spain and France to check this?
    Or here and the North?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

BeerNut wrote: »
    I reckon (if they do it) they'll just apply duty-free rules everywhere in the EU, and abolish the Blue Channel.

Discriminating against us because we don't have a land border with another EU country (unclear to say the least what the status of NI in this would be)

Unless they're really losing it and want to put customs controls on land borders within the EU...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Not NI though?

There's never been duty-free crossing a land border

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's never been duty-free crossing a land border

Never had them in the EU, and the NI protocols would stop it - but they exist in a few places. US/Canada and US/Mexico for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Any recommendations for good Irish craft beer reviewers? I know it's all very subjective but I'm always interested to see what others think. The Beer Nut who posts on here does great reviews and he isn't afraid to say when he doesn't like something. Then there are people on instagram like allaboutbeerireland who have a lot of posts but I've gone back through the last year of 'reviews' and there is not a bad word to say about any of them. I don't get the point if you're going to say every single beer is lovely!?

Ta for the shout-out.
    Any recommendations for good Irish craft beer reviewers?
    Tale of Ale will generally say if he doesn't like something.
    I don't get the point if you're going to say every single beer is lovely!?
    Completely agree, but am also aware that that's just me. For some people they're out to promote the industry and boosterism is their way of doing it. Some might be hoping for a kickback from the brewery, be that in social media reach or free product. And some just might not want to upset anyone or court controversy -- it's uncomfortable when someone takes you to task for saying their beer is crap, I can assure you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Another +1 for Tale of the Ale, although his reviews aren't wile frequent.

Allaboutbeerireland looks like the sort of account that only posts positive reviews in the hope of freebies. Maybe he doesn't post the negative ones though...The Beer Nut regularly slags off Molson Coors/Franciscan Well beers but their PR people still keep sending them out. :pac:

Another +1 for Tale of the Ale, although his reviews aren't wile frequent.
    There used to be loads of beer reviewers, then they all found better things to do :(
    The Beer Nut regularly slags off Molson Coors/Franciscan Well beers but their PR people still keep sending them out. :pac:
    I'll have to put the lawyers onto them to get them to stop. Actually, they have kind of: no new products from there in nearly two years.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Ta for the shout-out.Tale of Ale will generally say if he doesn't like something.

Completely agree, but am also aware that that's just me. For some people they're out to promote the industry and boosterism is their way of doing it. Some might be hoping for a kickback from the brewery, be that in social media reach or free product. And some just might not want to upset anyone or court controversy -- it's uncomfortable when someone takes you to task for saying their beer is crap, I can assure you.

Ha, that gave me a good laugh. You're absolutely right though, craft brewing is a labour of love for most and it's not nice when people don't like your produce even if it is genuinely poor. Tale of Ale looks great, will check it out.

• Advertisement

it's not nice when people don't like your produce even if it is genuinely poor.
    No, but when you're asking people to give you money for it, nice is neither here nor there. The right to shoot my ill-informed mouth off is part of what I pay for when I buy a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

The Beer Nut is the only person doing regular, informed, and objective reviews in an Irish context. Irish beer Twitter reviewers/influencers are pretty terrible for the most part; especially those who assign gender pronouns to beer or use 'beaut' or 'banger' as a descriptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Beer Nut is the only blog I regularly check. I don't follow any beer Instagram or Twitter accounts since their "reviews" tend to be superficial. I have a couple of people on Untappd who's opinion I will pay heed to too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I just visited The Beer Nut's blog after not looking at it for quite a while. Bravo! Still going strong, and I enjoyed reading back several pages.

Then there are people on instagram like allaboutbeerireland who have a lot of posts but I've gone back through the last year of 'reviews' and there is not a bad word to say about any of them. I don't get the point if you're going to say every single beer is lovely!?

It shows an incredible level of contempt for the consumer, without whom there wouldn't be a craft beer industry at all

These people (not just in the beer world) are vampires and are only in it for themselves - likes, ad revenue, freebies... pushing dishonest opinions only damages the industry in the long run

Life ain't always empty.

Didn't know soup bowls were going to be the next big thing in glassware:
    https://twitter.com/galwaybeer/status/1357765755664805889

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Didn't know soup bowls were going to be the next big thing in glassware
    Soup bowls have a greater validity than what these are: the bottom third chopped off a straight-sided pint glass. Whoever thought of that should take a long look at their life decisions.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I was in a bar in Sardinia once where the beer was served in dog bowls. Bloody hipsters. :mad:

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Didn't know soup bowls were going to be the next big thing in glassware:
    https://twitter.com/galwaybeer/status/1357765755664805889

That's actually hilarious, if I was served up a beer in a glass like that in one of their bars I'd demand a proper glass

• Advertisement

The glass shape looks exceptionally inconvenient - similar to a martini glass, looks like it's just waiting to spill as you try to move it to the table.

Advertisement