Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Childminder fees during coronavirus

• 21-03-2020 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Bucycvibbiuvgbiniibvfgjnkkkiydsbbjjjgf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

If you've lost employment due to Covid-19 you can apply for social welfare

You should expect a full wage and start from that point. Tesco aren’t going to charge her half for her shopping just because she’s on half wages.

EDIT - Ah you’re not minding the kids now. I wouldn’t expect anything then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Beckett42

I'm not registered

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Beckett42 wrote: »
    I'm not registered
    Is she still working the same hours for less money? Or have her hours been cut?
    I presume she'd still pay you the full amount unless she cuts your hours. I would cut her some slack, maybe offer to mind the kids for a a little less money until she's back on full rate.

Cchjnbgyubvfr

• Advertisement

Bxyxuvbbonnicfgjbffghvdsdvbnjjjfdrr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

So is she working or not, is she working from home ? Or just being left at home not having to work and being paid 50% as a retainer

Not working as yet so the 50% pay is a retainer

Not working as yet so the 50% pay is a retainer

Is she minding her own kids at this point or are you still looking after them

Gfredfghjurrdcbmkjgdxcvghjmndsee3e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

If you're not looking after her kids anymore I would assume you don't get paid. They may feel like giving leeway on this if they said they don't need you anymore as opposed to you saying you won't look after their kids anymore!? Which is it it?

If you're claiming the social welfare alreary keep doing so. If you're means tested on your spouse and are not claiming the social then I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to further your income.

By the way you can register as self employed and earn up to 15k a year, there's tax relief with that and that wouldve given you the benifet of applying for SW AFAIK.

She is minding them but she knows I'm available

Why would she pay you for not providing a service

As my retainer I mean how can I guarantee she will even go back to work after all this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Are you for real OP, are you tax registered? Do you have a contract with this lady?

If not then sling your hook. We are paying our proper creche 25% of normal fees during this mess. We don't mind as they are tusla registered and all above board.

You have some nerve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

As my retainer I mean how can I guarantee she will even go back to work after all this

Maybe that's why she is hesitant to pay a retainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NetChat101

davo2001 wrote: »
    Are you for real OP, are you tax registered? Do you have a contract with this lady?

If not then sling your hook. We are paying our proper creche 25% of normal fees during this mess. We don't mind as they are tusla registered and all above board.

You have some nerve.

Just a comment on the above - I'm not sure what the OP's circumstances are (I can't see all the posts) but there are countless childminders around the country who provide an invaluable service to families.

Just on your points, a childminder working in her own home can mind up to four preschool children without having to register with Tusla, so obviously a creche must register, having above four preschoolers. You make it sound that your creche is complying with the law by being registered with Tusla but a childminder is operating some sort of shady business by not being registered. Not the case.

Also, a childminder working in their own home can earn up to €15k gross per year before paying tax (for this the childminder can only mind up to 3 children aged 0-17) and using those guidelines and going on my rates anyway there's no way I would come close to that figure. So by implying that childminders are not tax compliant is misleading. (And I'm not in receipt of social welfare payments before that tired comment is no doubt posted).

Again, I'm not sure about the OP's situation, but in my case I mind 2 preschoolers for a very low rate €6.50 per hour (for the two). I'm not complaining, I'm pretty ok for the most part with that. I don't get paid if I take a day off, if the parent doesn't send them for a day, or for bank holidays. I take the children when they are sick.

Childminders in my situation are invaluable to parents who chose us for the very reasons outlined above. So please don't slate childminders and make out that they're all running shady businesses compared to your "above board" creche.

Advertisement