Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bdgp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

No, bought her in the mart. Spotted her outside and would have bought her as a commercial. Guy announced she had papers and in calf to a purebred lim bull.
    Calf is 5 stars for both terminal and maternal. Cow has 6 generations AI back breeding. :cool:

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

No, bought her in the mart. Spotted her outside and would have bought her as a commercial. Guy announced she had papers and in calf to a purebred lim bull.
    Calf is 5 stars for both terminal and maternal. Cow has 6 generations AI back breeding. :cool:

If you don't know the Sire and are inputting you trait/registration details on line enter Sire as 'Unknown'

tanko wrote: »
    So you didn't know what bull she was in calf to when you bought her?
    With your luck its a wonder it was'nt TVR.

My genomic tags arrived today.

Have many of ye received your genomic tags so far? Still waiting .....

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Maybe her animals are red lighting mad and she claims that she can't tag safely, or she's changing the selected animals after the tags have been printed.
    I had sold an animal that I got sent out a geno tag for last year,rang um up and they sent out a hair sample kit for another animal.

if ya have a 'mad animal' that may be difficult to tag you can contact ICBF or Dept and they will change the 'mad yoke' with another animal of your choice. Worked for me anyway.

STAY SAFE!

Rather be at the head than the tail end!! They will only send hair for sold animal or broken tags animals.
    Incorrect!

• Advertisement

Quick question - how do you find out if the Sires you've listed for calves match those of the DNA results of the ear sample?
    Do you have to just wait till the next proofs come out on the ICBF website?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Quick question - how do you find out if the Sires you've listed for calves match those of the DNA results of the ear sample?
    I had a few that got new sires and they were updated before the proofs.

croot wrote: »
    Did they contact you to say the sires you put down initially were wrong?

Did they contact you to say the sires you put down initially were wrong?

Ya they wrote out to say the sire had been updated.

It had changed online a good bit before I got the letter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Do you mind me asking are they AI animals. I ask as I too have had a couple sire changes. To AI bred animals. The funny thing is I don't have a lot of AI bred cows and the of the few that I do have a couple have had sire changes.

• Advertisement

dh1985 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking are they AI animals. I ask as I too have had a couple sire changes. To AI bred animals. The funny thing is I don't have a lot of AI bred cows and the of the few that I do have a couple have had sire changes.

I use all AI I've had 5 change so far. 2 the first year and 2 the second year and one last year. 4 were home bred and one was bought in. Two were cows that were over 7 years old and the AI docket had the wrong bull on it. Another one was my own fault. I mixed up bulls on a bull and a heifer and one was an immaculate conception because she is still down as a missing sire. The final one was a heifer I bought that the breeder put down the wrong sire.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭tanko

If a farmer buys a heifer in the mart because she's a five star animal at that stage, gets her genotyped and it turns out that her sire was wrong making her a two or three star heifer, what happens then?
    I've heard of some dairy farmers being economical with the truth about which bulls some limousin heifers are bred off in order to boost their Eurostars.

Just got a letter in the door from ICBF. The PB Limousin cow I bought in the mart had the wrong Sire on her Cert.:mad: They changed it from CWI to RHF. This brings her from a 5 Star to a 1 Star on replacement. Feck it anyway.
    Her calf is still 5 star though.
    To be fair the guy selling her in the mart didn't breed her and didn't announce her star ratings.

If a farmer buys a heifer in the mart because she's a five star animal at that stage, gets her genotyped and it turns out that her sire was wrong making her a two or three star heifer, what happens then?
    I've heard of some dairy farmers being economical with the truth about which bulls some limousin heifers are bred off in order to boost their Eurostars.

Well that's what happened to me with the one I bought but since she's half dairy she's still listed as 5*. I wrote to the original owner on the card but never heard back and that's it really.

I suppose until the BGDP scheme came in you wouldn't give a damn who the daddy was as long as the heifer was a good one. It may go that way again. I sold two weanling heifers recently one was high 5* and one was a 1*. The 1* looked better in every way and was a much classier animal and sold way better as a result. A lot of lads I've spoken to seem to be completely disillusioned with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

Just got a letter in the door from ICBF. The PB Limousin cow I bought in the mart had the wrong Sire on her Cert. They changed it from CWI to RHF. This brings her from a 5 Star to a 1 Star on replacement. Feck it anyway. Her calf is still 5 star though. To be fair the guy selling her in the mart didn't breed her and didn't announce her star ratings.

Patsy unfortunately icbf could change sire again as I know a pedigree lad that had its cert changed 3 times and the final result was the sire that he originally gave to icbf. Not sure how they got it wrong so often but they did.. hence she could change sire again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

tanko wrote:
    If a farmer buys a heifer in the mart because she's a five star animal at that stage, gets her genotyped and it turns out that her sire was wrong making her a two or three star heifer, what happens then? I've heard of some dairy farmers being economical with the truth about which bulls some limousin heifers are bred off in order to boost their Eurostars.

If she's off dairy cow she should remain 5 star even if off a one star bull as milk will be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Bellview wrote: »
    If she's off dairy cow she should remain 5 star even if off a one star bull as milk will be high.

Not necessarily, have a whitehead heifer off frieisan 2 star

A dairy farmer i know has 100% Holstein cows and a limo stock bull off Rocky, the resulting heifers are mostly two and three star on the maternal index.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not cows born before 2013 will qualify as part of the 20% next year?
    I thought they will but was talking to a consultant today who reckons they definitely won't.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not cows born before 2013 will qualify as part of the 20% next year?
    I thought they will but was talking to a consultant today who reckons they definitely won't.
    Originally they didn't but I'm 99% sure they changed it. On the last suckler report they list the amount of eligible females in your herd and all cows even the ones born pre 2013 are included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

+1 with Croot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

+1 with Croot
    Was at a meeting recently where topic was raised.
    It was to change for no age discrimination, but the terms have not been updated so
    Over 16 months & born since 2013

Originally they didn't but I'm 99% sure they changed it. On the last suckler report they list the amount of eligible females in your herd and all cows even the ones born pre 2013 are included.

Until yesterday i would have agreed with you but now i think you're wrong. I had a look at the terms and conditions for the BDGP scheme on the Department website and it still says that only cows and heifers born in 2013 or later and at least 16 months old in Oct 2018 are eligible to count towards the 20%.

I was sure they changed this so that cows of any age counted but it doesn't look like it now.

Until yesterday i would have agreed with you but now i think you're wrong. I had a look at the terms and conditions for the BDGP scheme on the Department website and it still says that only cows and heifers born in 2013 or later and at least 16 months old in Oct 2018 are eligible to count towards the 20%.

I was sure they changed this so that cows of any age counted but it doesn't look like it now.
    I think that requirement is for replacements you buy but not for cows already in your herd.

Farrell wrote: »
    Was at a meeting recently where topic was raised.
    It was to change for no age discrimination, but the terms have not been updated so
    Over 16 months & born since 2013

Looks like this is definitely the case whether animals are bought in or homebred.

Looks like this is definitely the case whether animals are bought in or homebred.
    Know some older farmers in the scheme with all 4 & 5 star cows which appear to be ineligible due to age & all calves are sold as weanlings.
    How can you tell them that they have to sell their cows & buy younger cows, even though all papers they get do not highlight an issue with the existing stock

I think that requirement is for replacements you buy but not for cows already in your herd.

Looks as though you're right.
    Apparently cows born before 2013 qualify for the scheme provided they were in your herd before you applied for the scheme, which was early 2015.

You're quick off the mark
    Must have good sources

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

You have to have 4 or 5 star either purchased or bred at home, sure the printout that icbf send out tells the percent of stars in the herd to meet the requirements.
    Madness to think if you have a 100 per cent 4 and 5 born prior to 2013 that they have to be sold and post 2013 have to be purchased.

• Advertisement

Farrell wrote: »
    You're quick off the mark
    Must have good sources

It's all about reading the T & Cs, then ask questions if you are unsure

Advertisement