Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bdgp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

whelan2 wrote: »
    You should have been paid before christmas, we got it and we hadnt filled in the surveys as calves were not 5 months yet

They are seriously giving me the run around.

I was told we would receive 2016 money before the 2015 money because 2015 payments were he'd up when dad died.

Anytime I call, they just say everything is up to date and we should be paid in the next run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Sami23

Quick question for everyone that has the BDGP Training Course completed and I think everyone should have it done at this stage.
    What times did your course take place, was it morning's, evening's, or weekends ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sami23 wrote: »
    Quick question for everyone that has the BDGP Training Course completed and I think everyone should have it done at this stage.
    What times did your course take place, was it morning's, evening's, or weekends ?

Full day, approx 11am to 4pm for us anyway, didn't hear of any evening courses.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

No it took the man 30 days to take his first BVD sample & to send it to a lab. I think

Well he should be able to make a good case so.

Sickness or something like that could easily cause an older person to be 10 days late.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

blue5000 wrote: »
    Full day, approx 11am to 4pm for us anyway, didn't hear of any evening courses.

Courses were only meant to last for 4 hours. I was bulling when my took 4 and a half hours!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

They are seriously giving me the run around.

I was told we would receive 2016 money before the 2015 money because 2015 payments were he'd up when dad died.

Anytime I call, they just say everything is up to date and we should be paid in the next run.

The chances are you are going to be inspected as they are out inspecting at the moment and the reason for no payment

The chances are you are going to be inspected as they are out inspecting at the moment and the reason for no payment

Friend was told today that second round of 2016 BDGP payments are issuing over the weekend

Friend was told today that second round of 2016 BDGP payments are issuing over the weekend

Payments issue on a Thursday night and hit the bank on Monday,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Hopefully not.- the original hold up was on their side- there is a list of people not paid in 2015 because the system cannot figure out how to deal with a transfer mid year. We had to transfer as dad died.

What would a Bgdp inspection look like?

Hopefully not.- the original hold up was on their side- there is a list of people not paid in 2015 because the system cannot figure out how to deal with a transfer mid year. We had to transfer as dad died.

What would a Bgdp inspection look like?

In my case the Agricultural Officer came out with a list of the animals that I had genotyped. The inspector then checked my animals' ears to make sure that we have sampled the correct animals. Once the man was happy this was the case, I was asked to sign a form and that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

In my case the Agricultural Officer came out with a list of the animals that I had genotyped. The inspector then checked my animals' ears to make sure that we have sampled the correct animals. Once the man was happy this was the case, I was asked to sign a form and that was it.

Same here but the part that I didn't get is I have parentage of the animals. I got results of genotype which confirms parents correct and the guy still had to inspect. Nice guy arrived but my view is an unnecessary costs that we all have to pay for

Bellview wrote: »
    Same here but the part that I didn't get is I have parentage of the animals. I got results of genotype which confirms parents correct and the guy still had to inspect. Nice guy arrived but my view is an unnecessary costs that we all have to pay for

Everyone in the scheme may not be as honest as you are. Thanks to the antics of the dept ag moving goalposts over the last 30 years I have developed a keen criminal mind:rolleyes:
    Perhaps someone is going to be short of 4 or 5 star heifers and a 5 star calf dies. Perhaps they had another heifer calf 3 stars perhaps. Then perhaps the 3 star calf went to the knackery instead of the 5 star calf......

Perhaps this person did all this hoping that perhaps they might get away with it, sure we all know with the way stars jump around every few months anyway they thought sure it's all a load of bu11sh1t what difference does it make, rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

If someone came to me to inspect my girls' ears they wouldn't get very far, I take hair samples;)
    Surely we are getting paid on animals that are genotyped and their parentage is going to show up. The time to inspect is if there is a major difference in what the animal is supposed to be on paper and what actually shows up when the genotyping is done. I have two bull calves that I've put down to a "bit more forward that I thought" weanling as the heifers did not calve to any of my AI dates. These two calves will never be genotyped (I assume as I have lots of heifers) but if they ever happen to be there is a 50/50 chance that I blamed the wrong bull weanling. Then I would expect that an inspection would be in order.

KatyMac wrote: »
    If someone came to me to inspect my girls' ears they wouldn't get very far, I take hair samples;)
    Surely we are getting paid on animals that are genotyped and their parentage is going to show up. The time to inspect is if there is a major difference in what the animal is supposed to be on paper and what actually shows up when the genotyping is done. I have two bull calves that I've put down to a "bit more forward that I thought" weanling as the heifers did not calve to any of my AI dates. These two calves will never be genotyped (I assume as I have lots of heifers) but if they ever happen to be there is a 50/50 chance that I blamed the wrong bull weanling. Then I would expect that an inspection would be in order.

How come you are hair sampling when everybody in tissue testing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

How come you are hair sampling when everybody in tissue testing

Maybe her animals are red lighting mad and she claims that she can't tag safely, or she's changing the selected animals after the tags have been printed.
    I had sold an animal that I got sent out a geno tag for last year,rang um up and they sent out a hair sample kit for another animal.

blue5000 wrote:
    Everyone in the scheme may not be as honest as you are. Thanks to the antics of the dept ag moving goalposts over the last 30 years I have developed a keen criminal mind Perhaps someone is going to be short of 4 or 5 star heifers and a 5 star calf dies. Perhaps they had another heifer calf 3 stars perhaps. Then perhaps the 3 star calf went to the knackery instead of the 5 star calf......

blue5000 wrote:
    Perhaps this person did all this hoping that perhaps they might get away with it, sure we all know with the way stars jump around every few months anyway they thought sure it's all a load of bu11sh1t what difference does it make, rant over.

Fair point but as you said giving the way he stars jump around it takes fair effort alright....when taking some downtime you should use that keen criminal mind to write a TV doc on agri schemes would be better than some of the tripe on tv

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Maybe her animals are red lighting mad and she claims that she can't tag safely, or she's changing the selected animals after the tags have been printed.
    I had sold an animal that I got sent out a geno tag for last year,rang um up and they sent out a hair sample kit for another animal.

Rather be at the head than the tail end!! They will only send hair for sold animal or broken tags animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

TITANIUM. wrote: »

The opposite is the case! My animals are so quiet I can sneak up on them in the field with a pair of pliers and take hairs out of their tails without bothering them at all. Much easier than putting them through the crush. In the past couple of years I only failed once to get hairs in the field and managed to get her in the yard when she came in for a bucket of nuts. :D

I just ring and ask for hair sample kits. Tried to get them last year before the tags issued but was told I had to wait for the tags and then ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭tanko

The deadline for changing the animals picked for genotyping has been extended to Monday 30th.

tanko wrote: »
    The deadline for changing the animals picked for genotyping has been extended to Monday 30th.

I got my list for sampling in today's post, the deadline was yesterday, must have been a good few delayed in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

is there anything showing icbf online, i cant see anywhere which ones they have picked for genomic samples? I cannot see why they picking them so early as no calves born til Feb

sonnybill wrote: »
    is there anything showing icbf online, i cant see anywhere which ones they have picked for genomic samples? I cannot see why they picking them so early as no calves born til Feb

Click on services, then BDGP.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

tanko wrote: »
    Click on services, then BDGP.

good man,

deferred my tag selection until april 02nd. wonder if people are "boxing clever" and testing the required no. from their 2017 calves and holding the % untested mature animals as spares should they cut back or have a bad year and not have enough calves !? just thinking are others thinking the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The big complaint last year is tags went out after cows went to grass so they responded to that

good man,

deferred my tag selection until april 02nd. wonder if people are "boxing clever" and testing the required no. from their 2017 calves and holding the % untested mature animals as spares should they cut back or have a bad year and not have enough calves !? just thinking are others thinking the same?

It would make more sense to test older animals now, before they are culled, and save this year's calves for a year or two.

Most of the ones I have to do are low ebi cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Limofarmer

We got our letter on Friday . All bulls selected for testing and only 2 heifers . As a Ped breeder it is important that we can sell bulls that are genomic tested but it also means that I have to test the heifers on top of the reference number so that we qualify with enough heifers in herd .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭limo_100

blue5000 wrote: »
    It would make more sense to test older animals now, before they are culled, and save this year's calves for a year or two.

I agree I have my selection completed online and Im leaving of younger stock and testing all the older cows even though some of them will be culled in the summer. By the way was looking at my animals that were geno typed and seen that there breed make up is 50% lm 25% si and 25% unknown I thought the dna test was to fill in them blanks??

Also I have a cow that was genoed and the sire was down as UTL and I knew that was wrong and the last evaluation came in she was down as geno included but the sire was never corrected???

blue5000 wrote:

blue5000 wrote:

I actually picked cows and their daughters who are breeding well this year. The problem is they are 1 star even though they are my better cattle. I'm hoping the genomics will pick up on their positive traits. If their results come back crap then I question if icbf can read the genes.. especially as icbf are now checking for a taste gene..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I bought in a purebred limousine cow about 2 months ago (Dec 2016). I got a cert with the cow and got the name and mobile of the seller from the mart. I rang him 3 times before I got the name/tag no of the bull she was in calf to. He had bought her in-calf.
    I'm in the BDGP scheme so I thought I'd get both the cow and her bull calf genomic tested as it would confirm the parentage of both animals and I could stand over them if selling on again.
    Cow hadn't calved before the list to be tested arrived but cow was on the list.
    I rang ICBF today and while they couldn't change the list to add the calf now, they could send on a hair sample kit after I got the tags and I could change one on the list for the calf then. It would cost me nothing extra. Handy to know.
    (Jeez, it seemed a lot shorter to explain in my head.:rolleyes:)

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

So you didn't know what bull she was in calf to when you bought her?
    With your luck its a wonder it was'nt TVR.

My genomic tags arrived today.

Advertisement