Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lumia 930

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Don't get me started. Every meteor shop I went to had it locked into an anti theft clamp. I asked one shop if they had one I could actually pick up...she seemed baffled that I wasn't happy with the one in the clamp.
    I had to point out that the clamp was ontop of the power button, so the phone was in a constant state of turning itself off and on!

I'm sure I'll buy it but I just wanted to sds how it would fit in my hand.

True that looks like a feckin octopus over it lol..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Down South wrote: »
    Isnt this part of the problem with windows phone - trying to get your hands on one in a shop.

Similar with MS Surface - only available in Harvey Norman and p. poor display compared to Apple in general

Vodafone stores have them on display, the Surface has been available in PCWorld for a long tome and have quite well put together displays, I find Harvey Norman do a bad job of displaying any product.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

liamog wrote: »
    Vodafone stores have them on display, the Surface has been available in PCWorld for a long tome and have quite well put together displays, I find Harvey Norman do a bad job of displaying any product.

The only ones I found in the Vodafone stores was the fake dummy phones and even then, it couldn't give an accurate idea of how it sat in the hand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I think my 930 is going to have to go back :( the on screen interference caused when using edge is doing my head in, thought I could live with it but it turns out I end up on edge often enough. Kinda ****ty since it's otherwise a great phone that I'd be more than happy to keep, back to my trusty 920 so not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I asked about the 930 in a CPW the other and if they had one I could see. The guy didnt know what I was talking about so I said the one you have the poster about over there.. still none the wiser. He eventually found one in the store room and popped it out of the box for me. Size wise it looks fine to me a bit bigger than my 925 but nothing massive. Not sure if I would upgrade just yet though as the 925 is still very capable.

But I think this shows one of the biggest problems WP faces. Sales staff that just dont know what they are selling, nor can they give impartial advice to customers. I hate when I ask about a handset and the sales guy proceeds to pull out their own personal hand set and tell me how good it is and how I should get one. Even if I have a completely different set of requirements to their own. Classic example was one meteor store sales rep who advised me that WP could not download torrents and proceeded to show me how to download a pirated copy of a film from a certain torrent site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Just seen the 930 in the flesh in meteor wow a beautiful phone excellent spec I have always used iOS and I just sold my 5S in anticipation of iP6 but this phone has me really tempted. Where is the best place to pick one up sim free?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I think my 930 is going to have to go back :( the on screen interference caused when using edge is doing my head in, thought I could live with it but it turns out I end up on edge often enough. Kinda ****ty since it's otherwise a great phone that I'd be more than happy to keep, back to my trusty 920 so not the end of the world.

Had mine replaced but have the same issue on the new one so I guess it's a design flaw, a real shame as it's an otherwise great phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Someone suggested on a podcast, that the 930 phone because it lacks glance, and the screen technology for that, that its a different screen, and perhaps cheaper because of that. So maybe it new type of screen they've not used before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Where is the best place to pick one up sim free?

You're best getting it on Meteor prepay through CPW and just using your own SIM - it's about €100 cheaper than picking it up SIM free.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

AngryLips wrote: »
    You're best getting it on Meteor prepay through CPW and just using your own SIM - it's about €100 cheaper than picking it up SIM free.
    Be locked to meteor then, no?

Or are all CPW phones unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

2 930's on the way here this afternoon.

Will play with them over the weekend and let ye know what I think :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So Mrs liamog picked up her 930 yesterday, does anybody know where to pick up the official case in the city centre?

So Mrs liamog picked up her 930 yesterday, does anybody know where to pick up the official case in the city centre?

nowhere has it as regards to bricks and mortar but the microsoft store has them for €19.99

awec wrote: »
    Be locked to meteor then, no?

Or are all CPW phones unlocked?

If you are in the CPW ask for a CWP 930 these are not locked..

jimmynokia wrote: »
    nowhere has it as regards to bricks and mortar but the microsoft store has them for €19.99

Ok thanks €20 is a good price, they were out of the black so ordered her a Green one, now I just need to find a green 1520 shell to swap onto mine then I wont be so jealous.

Want to keep mine in good nick so I'll get a screen protector. Would anyone have a brand to recommend?

So the 930's I mentioned above arrived today instead (They were late getting to the distributor on Friday)

First thoughts.. it's not as impressive as I thought it would be! (Bear in mind I'm coming from a 1320)

The physical chassis is about the same as a 920 and it's about the same weight as well. Screen isn't really that much bigger in practise vs the 920/925
    Wireless charging might be interesting (will play with that tomorrow) but the free offer of a wireless speaker and charger has expired by just over a week :(

Biggest annoyance is the thing uses a Nano SIM so I'll have to get my number ported in the morning before I can set it up properly

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    So the 930's I mentioned above arrived today instead (They were late getting to the distributor on Friday)

First thoughts.. it's not as impressive as I thought it would be! (Bear in mind I'm coming from a 1320)

The physical chassis is about the same as a 920 and it's about the same weight as well. Screen isn't really that much bigger in practise vs the 920/925
    Wireless charging might be interesting (will play with that tomorrow) but the free offer of a wireless speaker and charger has expired by just over a week :(

Biggest annoyance is the thing uses a Nano SIM so I'll have to get my number ported in the morning before I can set it up properly

Yeah the free wireless bundle was far too short, I think it only ran for 2 weeks

Yeah the free wireless bundle was far too short, I think it only ran for 2 weeks

Serious cop out.

Yep.. mid July till the 31st :(

• Advertisement

Yep.. mid July till the 31st :(

Just keep complaining until they cough something up.

Just keep complaining until they cough something up.

I was just gonna leave it and be quietly bitter :p but I suppose considering I/we're about to buy 30 of them...

Its a bit short aint it.... clever cnuts....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭circadian

I was just gonna leave it and be quietly bitter :p but I suppose considering I/we're about to buy 30 of them...

If you're buying a load then I'd be bringing it up. 30 people with new Nokias and wireless add ons is good for word of mouth.

Was it just a speaker or speaker/mic? If the latter it would have been handy for conference calls I was thinking...

Well the second part is true.
    I think the meteor shops ate still advertising the bundle.

Well thus far, they (or rather the company they have put in charge of the matter) are not entertaining my scorn.

Well thus far, they (or rather the company they have put in charge of the matter) are not entertaining my scorn.

I mentioned it once on a non-microsoft/Nokia forum, so they're bound to seek me out to reward my complaining :-P

I mentioned it once on a non-microsoft/Nokia forum, so they're bound to seek me out to reward my complaining :-P

Haha yeah if there's one thing that Nokisoft seen to hate it's a poor public opinion(!)

Seriously though, I had no idea that there was an expiration date on the offer until after I bought the phone and was able to read the full terms and conditions.
    Seems a cop our, especially as so many encountered difficulties on the claim site.

There's also uproar in the UK as there was only a small allocation of units and they ran out well before the two week Window ended.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Picked one of these up - love it.

Advertisement