Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WP Apps - don't ask, don't get [Threads Merged]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Ryanair

Hailo.
    That's about it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

For starters how about :

1. Wifi Analyzer ( have yet to find any WP app in this space )

2. XiiaLive ( I cant find a WP internet radio app that comes anywhere near it )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Ryanair

Hailo.
    That's about it for me.

Ryanair confirmed few weeks ago they were working on the WP version so keep an eye out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Quiet Hours on 8.1 (or something you may remember from symbians and pre-symbians as timed profiles).

Registry editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

joujoujou wrote: »
    Quiet Hours on 8.1 (or something you may remember from symbians and pre-symbians as timed profiles).

Cortana has quiet hours
    Registry editor.

It's not a PC, so no, that will never happen.

• Advertisement

0lddog wrote: »
    1. Wifi Analyzer ( have yet to find any WP app in this space )

Just curious, what would that kind of app do?

Unregistered Users

theothernt wrote: »
    Cortana has quiet hours

I'm not really happy if I have to use all-in-one application just to do one and small task. And cortana is unavailable for my region/language.
    It's not a PC, so no, that will never happen.

Never say never. :)

Never say never. :)

I can say definitively that it will never happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Just curious, what would that kind of app do?

It does a quick scan of WiFi networks in the area and the channels they use. Helps you configure your router a bit better, and sniffs out hidden networks too. I don't think the windows phone platform gives you the OS level access that such an app would require.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

It does a quick scan of WiFi networks in the area and the channels they use. Helps you configure your router a bit better, and sniffs out hidden networks too. I don't think the windows phone platform gives you the OS level access that such an app would require.

Yup, all that and more :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

I want one which will tell me how to get from A to B.
    Literally. I am at position x.
    App tells me that I can either walk, or catch this bus, walk, get z train and I will arrive at destination.

Bit like the drink scooter.

I just double checked, it doesn't give that level of access or info. It might be possible in future as it's not a security risk to the phone or user.

Sclosages wrote: »
    I want one which will tell me how to get from A to B. Literally. I am at position x. App tells me that I can either walk, or catch this bus, walk, get z train and I will arrive at destination.

Nokia Transit does most of that, but Moovit should do all of that - and the official NTA app too?

Hit The Road may come to Windows at some point although it's Dublin only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Hailo. The only app I really want. Uber is there, but I just don't like them as a company.

Wish Bank of Ireland had a mobile website, I actually don't care about a specific app for that stuff, just gimme 365 mobile web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

PaulieC wrote: »
    so the idea here is that you contact them yourself to register that interest. Then post up the contact details here so we can all do the same...

Seems that some of my wishes were granted, Permanent TSB have released an app http://www.windowsphone.com/en-ie/store/app/permanent-tsb/7e5cb143-d8ec-44c9-8a07-abf48f744a8c

It's just a web wrapper but it's a start.

Davy wrote: »
    Ryanair confirmed few weeks ago they were working on the WP version so keep an eye out for it.

Did they? Because I contacted them at the time they were promoting their new app and they said they had no plans despite their PR guy saying they had plans.
    Hopefully they will come through with it anyway. There are a few posts on this very thread about it.

PS:
    I also agree on BOI, even a mobile version of the website would be fine. AIB have one and it works ok. No need for an app

Vodafone are now encouraging customers to download their app to sync contacts as they are discontinuing their email service.
    Anyway, they have an app for Android, Iphone and even Blackberry, but none for Windows, despite them actually selling Windows Phone!
    Please go on to their forum here on boards and voice you displeasure.

tweet them @VodafoneIreland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Vodafone are now encouraging customers to download their app to sync contacts as they are discontinuing their email service.
    Anyway, they have an app for Android, Iphone and even Blackberry, but none for Windows, despite them actually selling Windows Phone!
    Please go on to their forum here on boards and voice you displeasure.

tweet them @VodafoneIreland

Sure wp will back up everything regardless.

Sure wp will back up everything regardless.

That's all well and good but why develop apps for everything else and ignore WP? That's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That's all well and good but why develop apps for everything else and ignore WP? That's the point.
    Although, if it's a one time use app for a service that they're closing down, they're hardly going to invest in it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Some good news for WP Chromecast owners.. three viable options now on the market - http://wmpoweruser.com/a-look-at-chromecast-apps-for-windows-phone/

Really dull video, but fair play to the guy for compiling it.. gonna give the €1.49 Tube Cast app a whirl now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Anyone know of a Windows Phone alternative to Mech Tab for calculating engineering tolerances?

Also something similar to the Seco Tools cutting speed calculator?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The Banks still dont seem to care about WP users they need to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

jimmynokia wrote: »
    The Banks still dont seem to care about WP users they need to wake up.
    To be honest i am not too pushed on bank apps, i was working with a gentleman who almost exclusively works on the software for bank security systems in relation to secure internet access to accounts etc. & he refuses to use any of the mobile banking apps or get involved with the development he claimed that it was only a matter of time before a huge amount of account holders were caught up in fraud as he felt users phones/tablets were too vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

To be honest i am not too pushed on bank apps, i was working with a gentleman who almost exclusively works on the software for bank security systems in relation to secure internet access to accounts etc. & he refuses to use any of the mobile banking apps or get involved with the development he claimed that it was only a matter of time before a huge amount of account holders were caught up in fraud as he felt users phones/tablets were too vulnerable.
    I'd agree with that, having some experience in the area.

PTSB have an app but personally I never bother with the apps as they usually have the same function of the mobile site (Have only used PTSB and AIB so can't speak for other banks).

People in the States weren't happy recently with a couple of banks pulling their Windows app and the bank sites are either very limited on mobile or don't work at all.

Same, even BoI's site is workable on mobile, though I wish they actually bothered to make a mobile site. Only reason the US folks are so annoyed is that they still use a lot of cheques over there (no really, for basically everything), and they need the mobile apps to do that (although absolutely no reason why that stuff can't be done via web tbh).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Same here I just don't like the idea of the app. So many of them ask for too many permissions.

Unregistered Users

Not sure if this is right thread to ask for advice (point me to a better one if one exists) - looking for a very simple pedometer/step counter. Loads of them appeared in a store, tried some and I am disappointed so far.

- I want an app which doesn't want to have access to internet, GPS etc.
    - no ads,
    - metric figures (not imperial),
    - AFAIK it won't work if screen's locked manually, so own screen lock is a must as well.

Thanks. :)

• Advertisement

What WP device do you own?

Advertisement