Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abortion- Right or Wrong

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,626 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eveie wrote: »
    excatly nacho libre, i find it terrible that a women could pick or choose.
    i often think of how id feel if my mother was pro-choice and if she would have no problem aborting a baby, i think id actualy feel pretty insecure about it, i mean if she was of that mind frame she could have aborted me,but many i was lcuky. you see life is not about luck, its about rights and every child regardless of age, sex, location, disability has the right to experience life in whatever way they can.

unfortunately some people will counter the unborn child(you in this case) was not a sentient being(a person) with a fulcrum of human experience. therefore you don't have rights, so your mother aborting you is justifiable to them. of course it does not stop them being hypocritical because they will draw a line in the sand to argue against killing a new born baby which going by their logic should be completely justifiable as a new born baby is not a "person" either therefore should no rights either.

also, you will notice that some people talk of possession rights in defence of their right to exclude men from the decision making process. yet another classic double standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Could a father claim that a mother has no right to kill his unborn child, but instead request that she have it extracted and placed into one of these accordingly?

I think so. I don't see why not unless the procedure were in some way dangerous to the woman. But, and not to discount the possibility entirely, we're pretty much dealing with science fiction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You can evict them.
    Did you miss my point?

Just because you own something doesn't entitle you to kill what's in it. According to my moral compass, that is wrong. However there are plenty of people who would disagree with me, if you are content with their moral direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's comments like these that make me wonder what the abortion debate will be like if/when artificial, external wombs are created. Could a father claim that a mother has no right to kill his unborn child, but instead request that she have it extracted and placed into one of these accordingly?

Well why have we not seen men asking women to continue the pregnancy until the baby is 'viable' which by modren standards is what now 26 weeks and then have it re moved and put in long term, invasive, expensive care in a Natal Intensive Care Unit ?

How likely are drs and hospital to agree to such proceedures ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

they will draw a line in the sand to argue against killing a new born baby which going by their logic should be completely justifiable as a new born baby is not a "person" either therfore should no rights either.
    You draw a line at conception. Why doesn't a sperm have rights? It's simply one step behind in the development process.

• Advertisement

Well why have we not seen men asking women to continue the pregnancy until the baby is 'viable' which by modren standards is what now 26 weeks and then have it re moved and put in long term, invasive, expensive care in a Natal Intensive Care Unit ?
    Forgive my cynicism, but because they aren't imaginative enough?
    Well, if the price is high enough.....
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    I think so. I don't see why not unless the procedure were in some way dangerous to the woman. But, and not to discount the possibility entirely, we're pretty much dealing with science fiction here.
    Pretty much, and we shouldn't stay on this tangent for too long, but they've had some degree of success creating artifical wombs:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/feb/10/medicalscience.research
    Granted that was 6 years ago and they could have either found there are massive obstacles to overcome or made great progress in the area since then.

Find a mother who'd agree!
    This is a rather pointless avenue to explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Zulu wrote: »
    Just because you own something doesn't entitle you to kill what's in it. According to my moral compass, that is wrong. However there are plenty of people who would disagree with me, if you are content with their moral direction.
    Your disagreement just falls back to the old, "Is it a human which deserves rights?" argument.

If you have a cow staying in your house that you no longer want, is it OK to kill it? Legally, yes.

So instead of using straw man arguments, why not start with that one - Is an unborn child a human?

Whatever your answer, it leads to two more questions:

1. Why?
    2. Can you prove it?

Re: Men & Women, it's a thorny one. We attempt to apply equality to all parties in the argument, when clearly all parties in the argument are not equal.

The issue of property then arises. Well, the woman's body belong to her. So does her womb. What about the unborn child? Does it belong to her? If not, then at what point in the gestation process does it cease to belong to her? The zygote attaches to the cell wall and effectively becomes "part" of the womb for a period. So at what point after that do we distinguish between the mother and the child as two completely separate organisms.

If you would argue that the child is partially owned by both the mother and father at conception, then how do you deal with the situation where one wishes to dispose of their "asset"?

When you look at the argument, it always boils down to the base question of "Is it a being which has rights?".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Actually, I said that, though Zulu thanked it so we can assume he agrees. Why do you think that's the only part of the decision that the woman should get to make on her own?

Oh sorry, I just pressed the quote button!

But I think you misunderstand me. I don't think it should come to it that it is a decision a woman makes on her own. I don't think any woman, when she gets to reproductive age, should be unclear as to what she does in that situation.

Yes, there is a lot of teenage, uneducated sex, one-night stands without proper protection, etc, but in a relationship where a couple is having sex on a regular basis I think part of the responsibility lies in discussing "what would happen if..." so that the decision is not solely with the woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Forgive my cynicism, but because they aren't imaginative enough?

Or it could be because, y'know, intensive care is called intensive care for a reason. No hospital would agree to such a procedure without good medical reasons.
    Well, if the price is high enough.....

Now that is cynical.
    Pretty much, and we shouldn't stay on this tangent for too long, but they've had some degree of success creating artifical wombs:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/feb/10/medicalscience.research
    Granted that was 6 years ago and they could have either found there are massive obstacles to overcome or made great progress in the area since then.

I agree we shouldn't stay on it too long. Until these wombs are viable for the development of a foetus till birth it's nothing more than an interesting thought experiment.
    seamus wrote: »
    Your disagreement just falls back to the old, "Is it a human?" argument.

That old chestnut, eh?

*sighs*

Every debate about abortion ultimately boils down to that.

1. Why?
    2. Can you prove it?

And the answers to those questions lead to more questions which brings you right up to the point where Zulu was arguing about killing his tenants.

• Advertisement

Your disagreement just falls back to the old, "Is it a human which deserves rights?" argument.
    Absolutely!
    If you have a cow staying in your house that you no longer want, is it OK to kill it? Legally, yes.
    We are talking about humans not cows.
    So instead of using straw man arguments, why not start with that one - Is an unborn child a human?
    Yes.
    1. Why?
    Because it's not a cow.
    2. Can you prove it?
    No, but I can't disprove it, so I give it the benefit of doubt.
    "Is it a being which has rights?".
    IMO, Yes.

Question: Does it currently have rights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

It's such a difficult question, but I think abortion would definitely be the wrong decision for me.

I struggle with it on a number of levels.

I don't see why abortion is an easier process than adoption.

I can't get past the idea that it's essentially "putting down" a baby.

I struggle with the idea that this aborted foetus will someday be an adult with kids and grandkids etc, and that whole extended family is essentially wiped out.

I can't accept that the mother "owns" the unborn child. Sure, it depends on her for survival. But newborn babies do too, and you're not allowed to kill them because you don't want them.

But it's not as simple as that. It's a quagmire or emotion and fear and guilt, and people who are often too young and too unsupported to make these decisions properly.

Having said that, I've yet to hear any really really convincing arguments for abortion. Paradoxically, though, I'd be in favour of legalising it in Ireland. I think it's going to happen one way or the other, so these poor women shouldn't have a lonely overseas journey added to their misery.

Zulu wrote: »
    We are talking about humans not cows.
    You said:
    "Just because you own something doesn't entitle you to kill what's in it."

I disproved that statement. My point being that you strip away all of the comparisons and fluff and you're just left with the one question.

Nothing else matters, there are no other considerations. Having the discussion is largely pointless because it's a philosophical one. Everyone draws a line where they think the unborn ends and the human begins, and then struggle to justify it beyond, "That's my opinion".

Question: Does it currently have rights?
    Under Irish law, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

You said:
    "Just because you own something doesn't entitle you to kill what's in it."

I disproved that statement. My point being that you strip away all of the comparisons and fluff and you're just left with the one question.

Unless I misread it, your logic is flawed there. Zulu said that owning something doesn't give you the right to kill it. You argued by counter example, which isn't valid.

To disprove what he said, you'd have to be certain that he couldn't provide an example of something that you can own, and can't kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭eveie

the reason abortion is legal in this country is because we give the unborn child rights.
    a number of scientist have agreed that from the moment of conception a human is created. by saying its not human and following that logic then a baby is less human than a toddles, a toddles is less human then a teenager a teenerage is less human then an adult and so on.
    i will give the links and or information from where the above is agreed in a while.
    no body can completely justify the taking of a life,abortion is considered ok, because the unbron doesnt have a say.
    the argument that alot of children are born into poverty is a very weak argument, are we going to go around killing al the children that live in poverty are they lives any less worthy then our own???
    we were all unborn at one stage and we will al die but for someone to determine if we are born or not is a power abuse, the unborn has the right to life as much as a 2 yr old.
    if you have a child techincally they are still living off your bidy they depend on you for nurshiment etc so shouls we allow the killing of children up to the age where they can feed themselves.
    life is not a choice

It's a side point here, but he argued that you're not entitled to kill anything which occupies something which you own. I provided an example where you would be entitled to kill something which was occupying your property.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I struggle with the idea that this aborted foetus will someday be an adult with kids and grandkids etc, and that whole extended family is essentially wiped out.
    But any combination of any sperm and ovum from any man or woman in the world is a potential extended family that is being denied existence if they are not fused.

Now no one has a problem with killing a sperm or ovum, but just because they go one step further in the development process, why is it wrong to kill them/it? Singularity is sort of arbitrary.

sperm of ovum by itslef is not going to create a child, thats like saying every time a women goes through a cycle she is killing a potential life, when the combine they have created a life, as individual cells they cannot create life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

I've never quite known where I stand on abortion. When younger I was always against it but as I get older I find myself expressing more of an open mind on the issue!

Everyone is talking about so-called accidental pregnancies due to irresponsible sex and so on. It surprises me that noone has brought up the the idea as to whether a woman who has become pregnant as a result of rape/sexual abuse from a family member etc. Is abortion totally wrong in these incidents. I know someone's gonna say but it's not the baby's fault. I just don't think abortion is wrong in all incidents.

trowlled
    ok very valid question
    1: less then 1% of all abortions carried out re due ti incest or rape, theat howver does not mean thats its not important.
    2: lets just say im after being rapped, i go to my g.p who tells me that fir the pain a hurt to go away i should get my abdomen removed, i know what id do id probably report him for being crazy.
    rape is a terrible terrible violation of a women, but abortion is yet again a violation of her body, the pian of being rapped will not go away if she has an abortion, she will need professional help
    the rape issue is always brought up, but considering it onlty accounts for under 1% of all abortions why are the real reason not talked about. very few women become pregnant through rape because th ebody goes into shock and actualyu prevent pregnancy occuring, although im not in any way saying it doesnt happen

• Advertisement

sperm of ovum by itslef is not going to create a child
    Neither is a zygote/embryo/foetus without a womb.

apologies for my spelling i know its terrible

abortion is yet again a violation of her body
    It's not a violation if it's consensual.

so your saying because of the place of residencie the unborn child should be aborted?

so your saying because of the place of residencie the unborn child should be aborted?
    That's essentially the crux of the whole abortion debate. Well done.

it is a violation of a womens body, inserting instruments to cut up the unborn, possible rupturing the uterus, leaving the women infertile

jc2k3 how about tyring not to be so patronising, i have debated the abortion issue for many years,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

trowlled
    ok very valid question
    1: less then 1% of all abortions carried out re due ti incest or rape, theat howver does not mean thats its not important.
    2: lets just say im after being rapped, i go to my g.p who tells me that fir the pain a hurt to go away i should get my abdomen removed, i know what id do id probably report him for being crazy.
    rape is a terrible terrible violation of a women, but abortion is yet again a violation of her body, the pian of being rapped will not go away if she has an abortion, she will need professional help
    the rape issue is always brought up, but considering it onlty accounts for under 1% of all abortions why are the real reason not talked about. very few women become pregnant through rape because th ebody goes into shock and actualyu prevent pregnancy occuring, although im not in any way saying it doesnt happen

It does not matter what the percentages are. My point was that abortion can not be considered wrong in all incidents even if it is just 1%.

I never said that abortion would take the pain of being raped away. What if the woman does not want to bring a rapist's child into the world. I know it's not the child's fault but who knows what way the woman would view that child. Of course there are women who choose to bring the child into the world and will love it unconditionally. However, not everyone thinks the same and not every woman is strong enough to go through with it. I'm not sure I would be. It goes without saying that she will need professional help

If a woman chooses to abort her child she may not view it as a violation of her body as you put it. She does not choose to be raped and so you cannot see the 'violation' as being in anyway comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Legal surgical abortions do not leave a woman infetile, non legal unsafe abortions do.

So you can add that myth to the pile about cancer ect.

IF you go do your dr and say you were raped you will be examined and the emgerency contraceptive pill will be prescribed to you.

• Advertisement

trowelled what about the option of adoption? and if you have read my post properly you would have see n that i did not dispute that it was a very valid question regaerdless of the % im not trying to fob it off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement