Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nokia Lumia 2520 Tablet

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The tablet is near EOL, but surely they're not pulling the plug on support already? And even though they lost millions on RT, it didn't appear that they were abandoning it altogether.

It's still too expensive, it had a bad launch, bad availability none of this helped it. I'd say it's got some stock lying around and it's been sold with whom will take it. Been near EOL and RT is not by any means a unique selling point far from it, it's too late and too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

jimmynokia wrote: »
    It's still too expensive, it had a bad launch, bad availability none of this helped it. I'd say it's got some stock lying around and it's been sold with whom will take it. Been near EOL and RT is not by any means a unique selling point far from it, it's too late and too expensive.

Yeah I see what you mean.
    I just thought the price seemed reasonable compared to what we've seen on expansys and John Lewis.
    But considering its history, a few more quid off the price would be needed to flog them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭droidman123

They lost a huge amount of potential customers by that inane strategy of giving john lewis 3months exclusivity selling rights.

They lost a huge amount of potential customers by that inane strategy of giving john lewis 3months exclusivity selling rights.

Ah sure, Nokia and poor marketing/exclusivity are the synonymous.

Does anyone know if I can get the swipe style keyboard from WP8.1 on RT?

I toyed with buying the power keyboard but it is prohibitively priced and the battery is solid as it is so if I could get the swipe keyboard, I'd be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Griffinx wrote: »
    They have them in PC world Liffey valley...€519..see attached pic

Aaaaaaaandd they're gone!

Was in LV the other day so I popped on and asked about the keyboard. They looked at me like I had ten heads.
    Insisted that they never stocked anything by nokia, and asked memwas insure such a thing existed.
    Sigh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Aaaaaaaandd they're gone!

Was in LV the other day so I popped on and asked about the keyboard. They looked at me like I had ten heads.
    Insisted that they never stocked anything by nokia, and asked memwas insure such a thing existed.
    Sigh...

They never advertised it on their website either, I asked em about that and they said, what's that, and we will look into it. FAIL.

Maybe Griffinx was mistaken?

Bit of a pickle hoping someone here could help.

2520 charger appears to be broken ( tablet hit the deck and the charger connector broke the fall) and no Nokia/ MS store seems to stock them.

I went on to amazon and Lumia 2520 charger gets alot of hits but all of the pictures are generic so I've no idea if they are actually compatable.

Has anybody here ever had to replace theirs? It seems to be very unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

2520 charger appears to be broken ( tablet hit the deck and the charger connector broke the fall) and no Nokia/ MS store seems to stock them.

I went on to amazon and Lumia 2520 charger gets alot of hits but all of the pictures are generic so I've no idea if they are actually compatable.

These lot in the UK replaced my 2520 last year, maybe they can help 0044207 6600896

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Could it be repaired?

Is the elbow that is damaged?

Option to buy:>> http://www.aliexpress.com/item/GENUINE-For-Nokia-AC-300-charger-for-Lumia-2520-tablet-UK-plug/32399040348.html

Have you tried a Nokia care point?

Davy wrote: »

Can't believe you found one that simple. I've my head melted looking for a genuine one.

I got onto Nokia care and they're ordering one in for me.

Can't believe you found one that simple. I've my head melted looking for a genuine one.

I got onto Nokia care and they're ordering one in for me.

Edit
    Nokia care got back to me to tell me that none of the tablets components are manufactured anymore.
    Off to aliexpress so.

Now the keyboard is acting up! Three of the keys are not responding when pressed!
    Anybody else experienced this problem?
    This thing is a bloody disaster! So much regret in one tablet!

Now the keyboard is acting up! Three of the keys are not responding when pressed!

This is a common problem. See this link for some advice although the solution didnt work for me. Anyway Ive now progressed to a Surface 3

Yeah I've had two of them and both acted up in this way.
    Followed the link Grifinx posted and fixed it, no big deal.

Seriously ropey hardware on Nokia behalf, between this and the charger recall, I wonder was there any quality control.

Griffinx wrote: »
    . Anyway Ive now progressed to a Surface 3

Thanks for the link, will try it later.
    But I was wondering about the surface 3. They seem to be going quite cheap at the moment.
    The specs look mostly the same, am I right?

Would you recommend as a replacement?

But I was wondering about the surface 3. They seem to be going quite cheap at the moment.

yeah, pretty happy with it and its full Windows 10. Id go with the 4G Ram machine if you can stretch for performance reasons. It has a full USB port too which is nice and a memory expansion slot. Keyboard is better than the 2520 but doesn't protect it as much. The 2520 had got sluggish for me and the Surface is a lot snappier. The surface comes with Office 365 free for a year only and you have to pay after this...it was free with the 2520 of course. Surface has a bigger screen.

Of course Windows 10 makes a big difference to the feel of the tablet.

Few things to weigh up.
    Once you fix this keyboard problem, will there be anything else bothering you about it?
    Spec wise both are very close.
    What I like about the surface, regular, not pro, is that it uses standard micro USB to charge instead of the unique charger that the L2520 uses.
    But the 2520 battery is second to none, and the quick charge is outstanding.
    2520 is thinner for omitting a lot of these ports but if it's your main driver, you'd rather just have the ports, without having to buy, and carry, a fistful of adaptors, which, chances are, you've already coughed up for.
    Also, on the form factor, I find the gloss cover on the Lumia makes it 'slippery' sometimes, whereas the surface grips better.

I prefer the Lumia keyboard over the surface keyboard, as it has extra protection and extra battery life, I also prefer the tactile response from the keys.
    Surface can upgrade to win10 but so far, I find little wrong with RT. This could change in the near future as older OS get phased out in favour of win10. Furthermore, with the relatively low spec of surface 3, compared to the surface 4 line being rolled out, it might not have as much life left in it as you think.
    Free office is a big thing for me.

I'd say Surface is the natural progression but I think the Lumia has a lot of life left in it. Both are so close in performance and have equal pros\cons.
    You might even be better off keeping the Lumina until the bitter end, then putting your money into a surface 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement