Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Primary Training Advice

Options
  • 18-01-2015 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, I have a bit of an unusual problem at the moment. I'm determined to become a primary school teacher but need advice on how best to proceed. I have been taking Irish lessons for the last six months and studying diligently ( 3-4 hours a day) and it's safe to say I've fallen in love with it!
    Anyway, I know that I need minimum C3 in honours level Irish and have thus been studying with a view to taking one of the one-year Irish preparatory classes on offer by some colleges. The prerequisite for entry on to these courses is a pass in ordinary level Irish which I unfortunately don't have. The reason for this is not actually my own fault (I was attacked and hospitalised on the day of the written exam), but an exemption was refused unless I attempted the exam on that day.
    Anyway I had hoped that was all behind me as I had a strong leaving certificate regardless. That's a lot of tangent's sorry about that, basically I was wondering if anyone could advise me on my best way forward to getting that teaching qualification? I'm determined to get it but genuinely haven't a clue how to proceed. The citizen's information were wholly unhelpful and told me to email various colleges.

The way I see it at the moment, I need to repeat the leaving cert ordinary Irish, then complete a year of Irish through a college, then do the two years actual teacher training?

That's a total of at least four years, which I don't actually mind doing but I just want to make sure it's correct and efficient.
    I'm a 29 year old mature student with a level 8 honours degree.
    I'm not even sure how I go about repeating ordinary pass Irish as a mature student and would it be possible to skip the pass irish and sit the higher level paper instead?

Sorry for the rambling I've found it hard to declutter everything in my head. Any advise would be much appreciated guys!

Kind regards,

Paul Simon

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Why waste time doing the pass course and just go do the honours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 desperate housewife

Don't do the pass course or the one year course after that is a total waste of time. Apply for leaving cert honours irish and get a c3 or higher in your results and you will be eligible to apply for the post grad in teaching which is a two year course. you can apply to St pats, Marino, freobel or Mary I for a full time face to face course or hibernia for an online course. Doing pass irish would be a terrible idea if you're trying to get into teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4wardpass

Why waste time doing the pass course and just go do the honours ?

Indeed, honestly I wasn't sure if I could do the higher level paper since I had originally taken pass. It seems I was advised wrong (that I would have to repeat the full leaving certificate course over two years if I wanted to do higher level).
    It looks like you're right though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4wardpass

Don't do the pass course or the one year course after that is a total waste of time. Apply for leaving cert honours irish and get a c3 or higher in your results and you will be eligible to apply for the post grad in teaching which is a two year course. you can apply to St pats, Marino, freobel or Mary I for a full time face to face course or hibernia for an online course. Doing pass irish would be a terrible idea if you're trying to get into teaching

Argh! I could kiss you! Thanks for clarifying all of that. I was a bit frazzled from being batted around from email contact to email contact.

I actually think I might go abroad to England as the cost over here is 12k plus. Oh well! I'll keep the Irish up just because I love it. In any event thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

If you do go to England to study Primary Teacher Training, just letting you know you will have to sit an Irish exam/do an Irish course if you want to teach in a Primary School in Ireland in the future. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

If you do go to England to study Primary Teacher Training, just letting you know you will have to sit an Irish exam/do an Irish course if you want to teach in a Primary School in Ireland in the future. :-)

As well as face as yet unknown qualification shortfall tasks due to the credit difference.

Advertisement