Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

White Supremecist Flag in Portmarnock

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

manic56 wrote: »
    Mate this flag has been used for years by people from cork.

We've missed the real issue here lads - the north county has been infiltrated by someone from Cork and he's flying a flag to taunt us! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Spot the white supremist:

234303210_2197a504ab.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

yesterday a guy in my office said that he was popping out for a sambo. I was highly offended, until it was explained to me that he was referring to a "sandwich", and not using an offensive term for a black person. I still ensured that he was fired tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭2BFree

yesterday a guy in my office said that he was popping out for a sambo. I was highly offended, until it was explained to me that he was referring to a "sandwich", and not using an offensive term for a black person. I still ensured that he was fired tho.

Thanks. Im not alone then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

If you say its just a flag, you should still read the history of the American Civil War, and read about White Supremacists who have adopted the flag since.

As for the Swastika being older than Hitler, etc etc. If that was the case, why not fly this Swastika flag?

Personally I'm against the Confederate Battle flag, except in instances where it is linked the war recreations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

A flag is a symbol. Symbols have different meanings to different people.

If it offends you, look the other way. Don't scratch where it's not itching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

2BFree wrote: »
    NO, I am not incorrect.

It IS associated with slavery and racism - as seen above, EVEN in Ireland.

You're right that it is associated with racism and slavery, but it is also associated with other things. Many people from the Southern states view it as something like their national flag. Not all of them are racist. Some people from Cork evidently view it as a symbol of Cork. It mainly reminds me of Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Symbols are like that. They have shifting significance, and a lot really depends on the intent of the user. You have no real evidence that the person flying this flag in Portmarnock is racist, right? Maybe they should be a little more sensitive to the possible feelings of black passers-by, but I don't think outrage is the appropriate response.

I do applaud your sentiments, however, and I wouldn't fly that flag myself.

How would you feel about someone who took the tricolour as a symbol of homophobia, given that the state was disgustingly and determinedly homophobic for most of its existence?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

FFS, will people stop calling it a flag. It's the CSA Naval Jack! :rolleyes:

It had official recognition in its day as a "belligerent", meaning, in effect that the CSA was acknowledged to exist for but not yet granted "diplomatic recognition".

So as a Jack, it has significant meaning in a maritime environment and none of this political nonsense heaped upon it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I pass that house regularly so I took the liberty this afternoon.....

Flag1.jpg

Flag2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Looks like a beautiful place to live Wishbone Ash, you lucky fella/chick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I pass that house regularly so I took the liberty this afternoon.....

Fine, show me up, Cnut =P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Looks like a beautiful place to live Wishbone Ash, you lucky fella/chick.
    It's not my house!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

*runs for cover*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I'm conscious of where you're coming from but it's still used in the Mississipi state flag and was used in the Georgia flag until quite recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

I feel cheated. I haven't been outraged by anything for a while. Does this mean I've turned into a normal human being?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Calm down, it's just a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

There are no Irish terrorist groups that I know of so how can they have hijacked our flag???

LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Is there anything that could be done?? Yeah you could get a life. "May as well be a swastika"!! Cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Dyflin wrote: »
    FFS, will people stop calling it a flag. It's the CSA Naval Jack! :rolleyes:

It had official recognition in its day as a "belligerent", meaning, in effect that the CSA was acknowledged to exist for but not yet granted "diplomatic recognition".

So as a Jack, it has significant meaning in a maritime environment and none of this political nonsense heaped upon it :p
    Isn't it only called a Jack when it's flown from the jackstaff of a ship? Otherwise, it's a flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Probably a big Pantera fan

MH1012_PANTERA_P.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 feaven

gogglebok wrote: »
    Symbols are like that. They have shifting significance, and a lot really depends on the intent of the user. You have no real evidence that the person flying this flag in Portmarnock is racist, right?

I agree with this summary. Symbols are by definition open to individual interpretation, and this thread has been a great example of the theories of semiotics.

I'm curious though, is the original poster still as offended by the flag now that it has been explained to them that it is probably been flown by a cheeky supporter of cork football, looking to cause mischief with their dublin neighbours, as opposed to a racist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 paddywhack262

so my folks have got swastikas that were plastered into there ceiling about 200 years ago as good luck symbols (done quiet well to!) should i get out me chisel now get rid of all the nasty Nazi symbols??? how about we go after all the Buddhist temples in India etc!!!!! basically what im saying why dont you complain about stuff that actully matters in the real world! peace out!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

If you are offended by it, you can ask them to take it down. However, as it on their property they have every right to fly it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Some people really do go around looking for things to be offended by. That OP is just dripping with righteous indignation. Imo typical lefty PC overdramatising of a non-story. Would be right smack bang at home on indymedia.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

humanji wrote: »
    Isn't it only called a Jack when it's flown from the jackstaff of a ship? Otherwise, it's a flag.

It's what it's designed for. There were several variations of the design, the first was the Navy Jack, designed to be flown from jackstaffs (The Ensign was the second national flag), then there was the Battle Flag, which is very similar, but square, not rectangular. The current "Confederate Flag" is something of a post-facto hodgepodge and was never used in the Civil War period.
    Would it be correct to say it is a 'pro-slavery' flag then? seeing as the confederate states were.

No. Not that simple a dividing line, for example the Union States of Delaware and Maryland were slave states as well. Many of the Confederate soldiers who fought for that flag were not pro-slavery. Many were. What united them was a desire for independence of action be maintained to their States. What you're arguing is akin to saying that the US flag is a "Pro-Death-Penalty" flag, even though a large portion of the population and some of the States are against it.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

The swastika is an Indian symbol.

Not German.

There used to be a Swastika Laundry in Dublin before the Nazis were ever heard of.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Laundry )

See also:

http://www.hindujagruti.org/news/5266.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

Photo of Dublin Swastika..Taken from the original Sanskrit symbol from India in 1912, and nothing to do with Nazis:

http://designresearchgroup.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/image_large.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Laundry names seemed to favour "lucky" symbols. I remember a White Heather Laundry on the SCR near Dolphin's Barn. The picture of the Swastika van looks like it was taken in Griffith Barracks on the SCR.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement