Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paul mccartneys 70s albums

• 04-04-2021 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I have been a Paul fan since about 1983.
    I was not old enough to recall his 70s work first hand.
    But I have most of the albums bar wild life and back to the egg.
    I think his first two albums were good.
    McCartney and Ram
    He then slumped with the first two wings albums.
    Red rose speedway
    Wings wild life
    But I think from band on the run to London Town he had a good run.
    What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I am a big fan since getting Pipes Of Peace album as a birthday present in early 1984.

Of the '70s work, agree that McCartney and especially Ram are excellent.

Wild Life is a bit slight but grew on me over time. Dear Friend, Love Is Strange & Some People Never Know are classics. I have really got to love Red Rose Speedway over the years. The SDE from 2018 has the proposed double album edition which plays very well. You also got the Wings Over Europe live album in the box which was the summer of 1972 tour. My cousin (much older than me) saw them in Amsterdam that July and still talks about it.

Band On The Run is a classic but think he slipped a bit with Venus & Mars and Wings At The Speed Of Sound - both rather inconsistent albums. Between them, there's a great single LP.

Wings Over America is a great live document.

London Town was a return to form, Back To The Egg even better while McCartney II is one of my all time favourites.

1997's Flaming Pie was the last special edition. Hope he does the two late '70s ones next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Hi Newbridge
    Great to get a reply.
    I only recently last few years started listening to his 70s stuff. If you were to listen to reviews you'd never touch London Town. I don't think even mccartney rates it. Though I think it's good and so does the odd reviewer.
    I always had time for his first two solo album's.
    I never really listened to the first and last wings albums mainly because of critical reviews. Which is a mistake.
    He has had a really good run critically the last 15 years. Some of that I think is because he has morphed into a national treasure and some because he got good producers and had more time to write.
    I think in the 1970s he was busy with kids and having to put out an album every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Wild Life and RRS are good in retrospect, IOW, you know that Band on the Run is coming! Saying that, there are some gems on both and I'd agree that the double album version of RRS is great - like an early 70s white album, so much variety.

There's a good album in Wild Life, it's just the running order doesn't help! I first got it in 1993 and have stuck with it since, and have the recently released 2LP version which is a really nice package.

BOTR is of course a mighty album. However I've not given enough time to V&M, and none at all to Speed of Sound. I like London Town a lot, some great vocals on there, and Back to the Egg is another one that hasn't clicked with me.

Worth remembering that in the 70s Wings were huge - like Led Zeppelin huge - it's very rare for an artist to have such a successful second act (Dave Grohl comes to mind).

Advertisement