Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Baked Beans Thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i had black beans ,scrambled egg, rashers and tomato in a burrito wrap for me breakfast on sun....was amazing!

with salsa and sour cream

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hurleronditch's post reminded me of tarted up baked beans I used to make.

Blend some chorizo, onion and garlic into a paste
    Fry that and throw in black pepper, chilli flakes and some smoked paprika (or whatever flavours you fancy)

Add some halved cherry tomatoes and a tin of baked beans and simmer till it mushes down

• Registered Users Posts: 20,905 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hurleronditch's post reminded me of tarted up baked beans I used to make.

Blend some chorizo, onion and garlic into a paste
    Fry that and throw in black pepper, chilli flakes and some smoked paprika (or whatever flavours you fancy)

Add some halved cherry tomatoes and a tin of baked beans and simmer till it mushes down

I’d hit that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

i had black beans ,scrambled egg, rashers and tomato in a burrito wrap for me breakfast on sun....was amazing!

with salsa and sour cream

Memories of breakfast from the mexican stall at the departure lounge in Dublin Airport before flying out on holidays. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

Baked means also became such a meme too lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Innocent Smoothies did this a while back:

ej0icqswsayj27k.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh god no.
    TBR, what have you started!

I ask myself the same question.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah, but baked beans without the juice can also be bought in a can. They are called haricot beans.

They just won't have absorbed the flavour of the sauce.
    they usually cost a bit more than beans in tomato sauce. I used to rinse off the sauce and add them to curry sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RasTa wrote: »
    When they are put into separation mode, the quality of the place usually looks like below

EmTO862W8AAxyaO?format=jpg&name=medium

SQUARE EGGS! Reminds me of a joke...Wanna hear it?

But what dreadful presentation that meal is. Truly offputting and sterile

I really should not have opened this thread. Not had much food today and now of course I am going to have to go and open a tin of beans... Drat! Bean hunger has struck

And it is cold!

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    But what dreadful presentation that meal is. Truly offputting and sterile

Sterile would be a plus!

What I can't get over is tinned tomatoes for breakfast. They tend to do that a lot in Britain, I have noticed.

Sterile would be a plus!

What I can't get over is tinned tomatoes for breakfast. They tend to do that a lot in Britain, I have noticed.

Or the big wedge of unripe salad tomato that is completely uncooked.
    Tomatoes should be grilled in a breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah, but baked beans without the juice can also be bought in a can. They are called haricot beans.

They just won't have absorbed the flavour of the sauce.

Theyre so much nicer though. Similar to this recipe.

https://myfavouritepastime.com/2019/03/21/gordon-ramsays-homemade-spicy-baked-beans-with-potato-cakes/

11.jpg

Sterile would be a plus!

Tomatoes are not in my food vocabulary. So called tomato sauce is not tomatoes; I think it is the texture? Not keen on goosegogs either.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Tomatoes are not in my food vocabulary. So called tomato sauce is not tomatoes; I think it is the texture? Not keen on goosegogs either.

I had to Google goosegogs!
    New one on me.
    Not sure of the connection between gooseberries and baked beans but I learned a new food term!!

I had to Google goosegogs!
    New one on me.
    Not sure of the connection between gooseberries and baked beans but I learned a new food term!!

lol... Sorry! The connection is between tomatoes and goosegogs aka gooseberries. They have the same texture. Seeds in gooey stuff.

Amazed you found goosegogs in google!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Saw this on Facebook and thought it was epic 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Best cold straight from the tin. Only I'm on a Fodmap diet and can't eat any of them :mad:

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

woodchuck wrote: »
    Saw this on Facebook and thought it was epic ��

"Mammy, look what dad made for dinner"

*looks* *rolls eyes* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mollydog123

Beans on Potato waffles are the boss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Over the cold months I make a lot of fresh soup. My recent soup was Tuscan Tomato and Bean soup, which is absolutely delicious. However as we were tucking in recently we agreed that it was like have a big bowl of baked beans but much nicer than the tinned variety!!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Bachelors baked beans are my favourite, with loads of the bean sauce/juice. I have "ahem" been known to shake the tins in a supermarket to make sure there is plenty of juice !! before I purchase

Bachelors baked beans are my favourite, with loads of the bean sauce/juice. I have "ahem" been known to shake the tins in a supermarket to make sure there is plenty of juice !! before I purchase

I find the Lidl/Aldi beans really good, haven't tried main brands like Bachelors in a while, but must do.

The worst I have found were Dunnes or Tesco versions, the beans were small and hard, with tough husks?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thanks to this thread I put sirracha in my baked beans yesterday. It was bloody amazing.

Also, if you put them in a ramekin you can dip a whole chunk of other food in and cover the whole thing with sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Double fried egg, chips and beans.

Childhood favourite dinner, still as good years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

RasTa wrote: »
    No no no, those beans with sausages in the tin should be illegal.

Tins of beans with sausages are handy for camping or emergency situations.

Does anyone know of a supermarket that stocks them? I've tried Dunnes, Tesco and Lidl with no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭con747

mickrock wrote: »
    Tins of beans with sausages are handy for camping or emergency situations.

Does anyone know of a supermarket that stocks them? I've tried Dunnes, Tesco and Lidl with no luck.

Try Dealz https://www.dealz.ie/82781-heinz-beanz-with-pork-sausages-200g/

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Seriously, if you like baked beans but are looking for something extra, here it is.

Beef dripping. Just collect it from the meat you cook yourself and stick it in the fridge. Add a spoonful to the beans before you cook them.

As others have mentioned, reduce the sauce a little during the cooking process.

You're welcome.

Advertisement