Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vanmoof bike vendors and/or similar bike vendors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

No, I've been begging Vanmoof for this since the S3 launch. My employer will only pay by EFT, and only to €1,500, they won't accept payment of the shortfall (€548 incl. delivery).

There's no way that I can see that I can buy this bike through the Cycle To Work Scheme.

To be honest, I can't imagine anybody in Ireland would be willing to buy this bike if they can't buy it through the C2W scheme. Why would you pay €2,000 for a bike that you know you could have bought for €1,400 if the seller was just willing to accept split-payments?

If Vanmoof Dublin sell one bike I'd be surprised.

Whoever is interested in purchasing can i suggest sending a direct message to vanmoof tweeter account whichI just did https://twitter.com/vanmoof so they understand there is a market here and a scheme to help buyers out.

If anyone else has contact information for their parent company in Amsterdam please post it so we can all contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mistergreen

I contacted them through their contact details on their Dutch website and exchanged emails with someone. They confirmed to me that they are looking into participating in the Irish bike to work scheme. Not much point in opening a shop here if they don’t?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I just noticed that Vanmoof has been added to the shops list on the Biketowork/Travelhub site.

I emailed them just over a week ago and was told they only dealt with local independent shops and VanMoof wouldn’t be added, so great customer service there.

As for the actual logistics of buying a Vanmoof through them, who knows, but they are now on the list. If I’d bought last week based on their “advice” I’d be raging.

Good news everybody! I hope... i tweeted them a few days ago and got this reply. I've just sent them an mail to their sales team.

Hi, first of all our apologies for the delay on our reply.
    It has been busier than usual and we are working as fast as we can to reply to all the messages we have received.
    Thank you for your interest in VanMoof. And good news about the Cycle to work Sheme. Since two days we are part of it.
    To request a voucher or quote, simply send us an email at sales@vanmoof.com.
    You can also ask them any further questions you have.
    We will answer your request as soon as we can.
    Have a great Weekend. Cheers, Sophie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

menuisier wrote: »
    Good news everybody! I hope... i tweeted them a few days ago and got this reply. I've just sent them an mail to their sales team.

Hi, first of all our apologies for the delay on our reply.
    It has been busier than usual and we are working as fast as we can to reply to all the messages we have received.
    Thank you for your interest in VanMoof. And good news about the Cycle to work Sheme. Since two days we are part of it.
    To request a voucher or quote, simply send us an email at sales@vanmoof.com.
    You can also ask them any further questions you have.
    We will answer your request as soon as we can.
    Have a great Weekend. Cheers, Sophie

Thanks for this. I've emailed them. I think the next steps would be they'd send me an invoice which I'd send to my employer, or something?

• Advertisement

They’re putting a quote together for me at the moment. It will be one quote for €1,500 for my employer/BiketoWork and another with the balance for me to pay personally.
    I’ve mailed BiketoWork to confirm this works for them.
    Went for another test ride at the weekend and decided to just go for it.
    I’d probably have spent the 2k TBH, so being able to knock the tax bit off it made it a no-brainer.

Edit: I’ve got speedy and helpful replies from contacting dublin@vanmoof.com rather than a central address.

mailforkev wrote: »
    They’re putting a quote together for me at the moment. It will be one quote for €1,500 for my employer/BiketoWork and another with the balance for me to pay personally.
    I’d probably have spent the 2k TBH, so being able to knock the tax bit off it made it a no-brainer.

Edit: I’ve got speedy and helpful replies from contacting dublin@vanmoof.com rather than a central address.

Thanks for the heads up with messaging dublin@vanmoof.com i never got a reply from the sales email address i was provided in the their tweet. Do you know yet how much you will end up playing in total yourself?

The bike should work out at roughly EUR 1,230 in total based on my back of a napkin maths (if you’re a higher rate taxpayer).

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bilasy

Lara the store manager said she will also prepare a quote, but mentioned she will send a link for payment to the HSE ( my employer) for€1500 and another quote for me with balance , so do they accept vouchers from bike to work can you confirm this pls?
    Thanks

bilasy wrote: »
    Lara the store manager said she will also prepare a quote, but mentioned she will send a link for payment to the HSE ( my employer) for€1500 and another quote for me with balance , so do they accept vouchers from bike to work can you confirm this pls?
    Thanks

You’re a public service employee so you might have a different process to follow than me.
    I’ve submitted my quote to the company (Bike to Work Ltd) that manages the scheme for my employer and asked them to place the order. I’m not yet sure how that will be dealt with. I can update here when there’s some movement.
    I got a second invoice in my name for the balance with a link to a payment site. I’ll do that payment once my employer has approved the order.

• Advertisement

You’re a public service employee so you might have a different process to follow than me.
    I’ve submitted my quote to the company (Bike to Work Ltd) that manages the scheme for my employer and asked them to place the order. I’m not yet sure how that will be dealt with. I can update here when there’s some movement.
    I got a second invoice in my name for the balance with a link to a payment site. I’ll do that payment once my employer has approved the order.

How long it took them to email u the quote? Do you also have to repay the €1500 within this tax year?my understanding that the price includes 3 yrs warranty and the theft protection, because she mentioned in her email if I want any extras (warranty , carrier bag) so just checking

How long it took them to email u the quote? Do you also have to repay the €1500 within this tax year?my understanding that the price includes 3 yrs warranty and the theft protection, because she mentioned in her email if I want any extras (warranty , carrier bag) so just checking

Quote took under 24 hours, came from Amsterdam office.

The only option with my employer is to pay over twelve months, doesn’t have to be all in one tax year.

Bike has a three year warranty included.

You can add a three year theft “peace of mind” pack for 290€, I did. It’s not included in the price of the bike.

There’s another peace of mind pack covering servicing but it’s not available here because we don’t have a proper store yet. This is actually my main concern, what happens if you have a problem, but I’ll take a chance.

I might end up buying a back carrier and panniers at some point. Going to see how the bike is first then I’ll decide.

The only option with my employer is to pay over twelve months, doesn’t have to be all in one tax year.

You can add a three year theft “peace of mind” pack for 290€, I did. It’s not included in the price of the bike.

There’s another peace of mind pack covering servicing but it’s not available here because we don’t have a proper store yet. This is actually my main concern, what happens if you have a problem, but I’ll take a chance.

I might end up buying a back carrier and panniers at some point. Going to see how the bike is first then I’ll decide.

can you tell me when you sent the email requesting the quote? I'm still waiting on my quote

Just read article in Independent that the store will close end of October just wondering what happens if some one wants to get a quote for the scheme and the store is permanently closed, I asked the girls in the store yesterday, if something goes wrong you shop the bike back to the NL ,so don’t get rid of the box , she also claimed that they pay the shipping fee!

menuisier wrote: »
    can you tell me when you sent the email requesting the quote? I'm still waiting on my quote

I emailed the Dublin popup asking to request the quote for me on Sun afternoon. So took under a day.

Yeah Dublin got back to me today and I'll have a quote sent to myself and my job in the next 48 hours. Yikes, it's happening.
    I hope they're not a mare to get serviced etc.

Yeah Dublin got back to me today and I'll have a quote sent to myself and my job in the next 48 hours. Yikes, it's happening.
    I hope they're not a mare to get serviced etc.

Yeah, fingers crossed it turns up without any QC issues and just works out of the box. Exciting times.

First test spin pretty much sold it to me. Had to scrap a couple of holidays this year so a new toy will go towards making up for that.

Yeah, fingers crossed it turns up without any QC issues and just works out of the box. Exciting times.

First test spin pretty much sold it to me. Had to scrap a couple of holidays this year so a new toy will go towards making up for that.

I'll race ya!
    Apparently there's a 2 month lead time on getting one at the moment though, so I wont have one any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

I'm seeing loads of these around town in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm seeing loads of these around town in the last few weeks.

There's 2 of them cable locked to a fence in front of a house near Donnybrook on a busy street for the last few months, amazed they've never been taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thargor wrote: »
    There's 2 of them cable locked to a fence in front of a house near Donnybrook on a busy street for the last few months, amazed they've never been taken.

maybe it's someone who wants to test the Bike Hunters

I haven't finalised the purchase yet, but apparently the bikes are really reliant on your phone and app. To unlock it, choose the speed etc. I don't like this... having second thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I haven't finalised the purchase yet, but apparently the bikes are really reliant on your phone and app. To unlock it, choose the speed etc. I don't like this... having second thoughts.

I don't think that's exactly true — you can unlock without any phone via a code input on a physical button. Power-level of the motor is changed via a physical button too.

The app seems more to provide some shortcuts (ie. you can unlock with one-touch on the bike when your phone is in your pocket) and ways of configuring advanced settings, rather than being something the bike is reliant upon for day-to-day operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Clare_Culchie

This is beyond frustrating (for civil servants at least)....
    Vanmoof eventually signed up to the OGP Supplier's List last month. Great.
    They signed up as a vendor with Biketowork.ie. Great.

The Cycle To Work Scheme allowance for electric-bikes is €1,500. The cost of the Vanmoof S3/X3 is €2,000.

Vanmoof STILL will not accept split payment (i.e. €1,500 payment from employer or voucher-provider such as biketowork.ie and €498 balance +€50 delivery charge) from myself.

Neither my employer, nor biketowork.ie will allow me to "top up" the €1,500 with the additional €548 and pay Vanmoof directly on my behalf.

I can see no possible way that I, or any civil servant (at least) or possibly any PAYE worker, could by a Vanmoof under the Cycle to Work Scheme.

Any thoughts?

MJohnston wrote: »
    I don't think that's exactly true — you can unlock without any phone via a code input on a physical button. Power-level of the motor is changed via a physical button too.

The app seems more to provide some shortcuts (ie. you can unlock with one-touch on the bike when your phone is in your pocket) and ways of configuring advanced settings, rather than being something the bike is reliant upon for day-to-day operation.

There are at least three ways to unlock the bike:
    a. by enabling proximity unlock on the app (it relies on bluetooth to handshake when you approach - you then press one of the two handlebar buttons to unlock,
    b. by unlocking via the app - again you have to press one of the two handlebar buttons to complete the unlock, and
    c. by pressing the button on the handlebar in a particular sequence to enter a PIN, similar to morse.

The two handlebar buttons are "bell" (left) and "boost" (right).

The bike has automatic gearing so you don't control the power of the bike from the physical button (other than to engage "boost" - which you might well do for your entire journey), but the speeds at which the four gears step up or down are determined by you via the app, according to your personal preference.

This is beyond frustrating (for civil servants at least)....
    Vanmoof eventually signed up to the OGP Supplier's List last month. Great.
    They signed up as a vendor with Biketowork.ie. Great.

The Cycle To Work Scheme allowance for electric-bikes is €1,500. The cost of the Vanmoof S3/X3 is €2,000.

Vanmoof STILL will not accept split payment (i.e. €1,500 payment from employer or voucher-provider such as biketowork.ie and €498 balance +€50 delivery charge) from myself.

Neither my employer, nor biketowork.ie will allow me to "top up" the €1,500 with the additional €548 and pay Vanmoof directly on my behalf.

I can see no possible way that I, or any civil servant (at least) or possibly any PAYE worker, could by a Vanmoof under the Cycle to Work Scheme.

Any thoughts?

10 minutes ago I just got sent an invoice from them where it's split - a 1500e invoice for my employer, and one for 548 for me.
    I haven't sent it to my employers yet but I would imagine this is exactly how it should be done?

10 minutes ago I just got sent an invoice from them where it's split - a 1500e invoice for my employer, and one for 548 for me.
    I haven't sent it to my employers yet but I would imagine this is exactly how it should be done?

That is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!! I'd been asking Vanmoof to allow that right throughout the summer since the S3/X3 Launch, and each time told it wasn't possible.

Someone else obviously worked their charm.

That is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!! I'd been asking Vanmoof to allow that right throughout the summer since the S3/X3 Launch, and each time told it wasn't possible.

Someone else obviously worked their charm.

Same for me. I’m just waiting (very impatiently) for Bike to Work to approve the 1,500 invoice that I submitted on Monday.

Then I’ll pay my own invoice and sit watching the hall door for two months.

How long it took them to prepare your quote and invoice? I’m still waiting for mine

• Advertisement

How long it took them to prepare your quote and invoice? I’m still waiting for mine

about 24 hours.
    Van Moof meetup anyone? Van Moof pub crawl on turbo mode or whatever it's called. If we get too drunk and lose them they'll just give us new ones anyway!

Advertisement