Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Ceramic* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scuba_tom

What’s happening in the first pic?

That's the heat deflector, better angle here

GHiK6Vql.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

mossym wrote: »
    is that metal? does it not become a radiator when it gets hot enough? i know it's a lot harder to get non metallic materials to use for this, and ti's any port in a storm, so wondering is there anything you could line it with to stop it radiating heat.
    Fill it with sand

is that metal? does it not become a radiator when it gets hot enough? i know it's a lot harder to get non metallic materials to use for this, and ti's any port in a storm, so wondering is there anything you could line it with to stop it radiating heat.

TBH I don't know a whole pile about heat dynamics, it was literally the only thing I could get to fit and garden centres seem to have no terracotta anythings left! Had heard about lining it with sand but using it without didn't seem to be having any negative impact. Will give it a go and see if it makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Interesting to see if theres any such thing as real indirect heat in such a small kamado.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

started it on the grilling thread so finished it there, but will transfer it over here now. table for the Kamado Joe complete.

IOqS58Wl.jpg

That's amazing. I'd love to be able to make something like that.

I'd say you would pick up a few commissions easily enough if you wanted to make a few quid to build them for others. Post here if you ever do consider that!

• Advertisement

Smurts wrote: »
    There was only one left when I got to Lidl at 8am this morning, more popular than I thought!

Hoping to fashion some sort of deflector based on one of the ideas here:

https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/topic/540-aldi-kamado/

Did you end up using anything for a deflector?

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Smurts

Scuba_tom wrote: »

No, haven’t used it yet, hoping to give it a run this weekend! I copied your idea with the pan and will see how it goes filled with sand. I may ask a metalwork guy I know if he can cut something for me but won’t be talking to him for a couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Has anyone any experience of the Kamado Bono range? They look like a good type but cheaper, I was looking to get the Grande limited size for 900Eur and I think that includes deflector plate.

http://kamadobono.ie/en/grills

Used it for the first time yesterday, ham fillet came out delicious! Held heat for about 7 hours, the last five hours all events were fully closed and it was still holding around the 150 mark! Great wee machine.

Used Scuba Toms pan idea as a deflector and worked really well but might invest in one of these

https://www.wlanthermo-shop.de/grillzubehoer/22/deflektor-kamado-13i-xl

Scuba_tom wrote: »

Used it for the first time yesterday using your pan idea and worked really well, ham fillet came out delicious! Heat ran for 7 hours, even with the valves fully closed for the last 4.5 hours it held 150 degrees nearly the whole time!

Great wee machine, will get a good bit of use so might invest in one of these:

• Advertisement

Smurts wrote: »
    Used it for the first time yesterday using your pan idea and worked really well, ham fillet came out delicious! Heat ran for 7 hours, even with the valves fully closed for the last 4.5 hours it held 150 degrees nearly the whole time!

Great wee machine, will get a good bit of use so might invest in one of these:

Yeah, was looking at that deflector as well, looks good. Went for the high heat no deflector approach myself yesterday. 20 mins to heat up to 300c, 3 steaks on for 2.5 mins a side - perfect medium rare. It's so versatile.

on the kamado table front.
    I got 8 lengths of 100 x 100mm x 2.4m treated "sleepers" from B&Q.
    I usually would never get timber there but there was a pricing error so got them for 12e each.
    Also they are super square and straight and guaranteed for 15years apparently.

Also got 8 of these wheels delivered yesterday.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07LH64HY3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I just need to find time.....

Got the deflector from Germany, fits great 👌

Got a start on my kamados bench today.
    Got one side done,its all glued and strapped up for the night.
    One side took a good 8 hours work.
    The first 2 mortice and tennon joints were sloppy but passable. The quality quickly improved thankfully.
    12 joints per side then another 16 to join the two.
    Biggest concern now is how uneven my patio is.

I'll add a pic tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Hi everyone!

Took delivery of a masterbuilt classic (rebadged Kamado Joe Classic) from A Room Outside last week. They were great to deal with and threw in a bag of restaurant grade charcoal when they delivered. Highly recommended, lovely folk. Fired it up for the first time on Friday for a butt of pork. Everything went well but now I know what 'the stall' is. Took it off the smoker when it stalled at 160f and double wrapped it in foil and went to bed (this was 1.30am). It was still warm the next day but wouldn't pull so I bumped it up to 205f in the oven over 2hours. I'll know next time to just turn the heat down on the Kamado and leave it over night to beat the stall. I still had the crispy bark and smokey flavour in any case. Smoked some thighs, wings and sausage then on Saturday. That was a much quicker cook and straightforward/delicious. Probably get more pork today and maybe some brisket or lamb? Anyone got any suggestions? Pics of the pork below, first two pics after directly after taking it off the Kamado and before the oven. Looking forward to using this thing as much as possible!

Conversely, A Room Outside were a disaster for me to deal with to try and get the same Masterbuilt kamado. I contacted them first a few months ago and was told they would be getting them in at some point in June and they would let me know. I contacted them a few times in between for an update only to be told the last time in early June that they had sold all of the Masterbuilt Kamados.

They never gave me an option to put down a deposit and now it is almost impossible to get a Masterbuilt Kamado. Absolutely horrendous customer service.

Congrats on your purchase though... it looks like a great Kamado and that cook looks amazing!

Ah sorry to hear that. I was waiting a good while for them to come back into stock. They're hugely in demand. They actually popped up cheaper in homebase while I was waiting for A Room Outside but I said I'd give the Irish company my business and waited the extra couple of weeks

Right,
    2 days in.
    Here is where I'm at.its 2.4m long.
    Your looking at the backs of the frames.

IMG-20200713-WA0012.jpg

Here's one of the joints.
    The joints are glued and then pinned right through with a dowel.

IMG-20200713-122932.jpg

IMG-20200713-122950.jpg

15946664863036570722897760597680.jpg

Still a long way to go.was considering not doing the concrete countertop but I think I will.
    Lots more work to tie the two frames together.

Another full days graft .
    Quite happy with how it went together.
    Some of the joints aren't perfect but they are very close !

IMG-20200715-WA0017.jpg

I have to say I was not expecting this to take so long but I think it was worth the effort.
    The worktop should be handy enough but I need to get something to make the mold out of .

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

You reckon it would be worth hiring a concrete poker?

• Advertisement

tangy wrote: »
    You reckon it would be worth hiring a concrete poker?

God no!
    Just hockey it with a mallet.
    I'll have to buy a new mallet thought because I broke mine while hockying the frame together!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Had the Komado Joe jr going at 225f yesterday for 13hrs in total, 8hrs for a pork shoulder and then 5hrs for a turkey crown.

Only burned about 1/3 of the charcoal, impressive efficiency.

Formwork done as of yesterday evening.
    Hopefully get a chance this evening to get the mixer out.

IMG-20200726-161049.jpg

Original plan was to cast on the ground and flip it but It would definitely break in the middle + I'd have to get some heavies over to lift it.

Top counter done,
    Didn't have enough dye to do the bottom shelf .
    Will have to do another mix tonight.
    Happy enough with how it went.There is a lot of rebar in there too.
    Think shes going to weigh in over 300kg !

IMG-20200727-204601.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

If it’s not too late sawcut two 20mm deep joints right at the midpoint of the circular opening (ie halfway along the table’s length) then fill them with sealant. That looks like the prime location for a shrinkage crack.

It looks incredible! What part of the country do you live in?? I really want a garden like that!!

I'm in Kildare.
    Great growing here!
    It's definitely too late now.
    If it cracks it cracks,I won't worry too much!
    There's 2 lengths of rebar running the length in front and 2 behind the opening so that should help.
    Time will tell!

mloc123 wrote: »
    Had the Komado Joe jr going at 225f yesterday for 13hrs in total, 8hrs for a pork shoulder and then 5hrs for a turkey crown.

Only burned about 1/3 of the charcoal, impressive efficiency.

Was just thinking this the other day. I'm surprised every time I open it just how little a big 10 hour cook in the past few days has used.

Does anyone know if the Kamado Joe half moon accessories are compatible with the Masterbuilt Classic? I'd like to start doing some reverse searing etc. but not sure if it's feasible to remove the whole heat deflector mid-cook

I don't know but we should try and get some dimensions for the different brands and see what fits what.
    Mine is a la hacienda brand so probably not many around.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Was just thinking this the other day. I'm surprised every time I open it just how little a big 10 hour cook in the past few days has used.

Does anyone know if the Kamado Joe half moon accessories are compatible with the Masterbuilt Classic? I'd like to start doing some reverse searing etc. but not sure if it's feasible to remove the whole heat deflector mid-cook

As far as I know, everything for the Kamado joe Classic is compatible with the Masterbuilt kamado. It's basically a rebadged KJ Classic so everything including the divide and conquer system fits both.

• Advertisement

The concrete countertop cured much much lighter than expected.
    I was a bit shy on the pigment but not that shy.
    I got the bottom shelf of the kamado table poured on tuesday night and even though I used the same amount of dye it seems to be much darker!
    Not the end of the world at all but strange.
    Anyway the whole lot is still in a plastic tent until the weekend .

I'm not really too sure what height the kamado is going to sit at when its installed so I might end up tiling the lower shelf to get some extra height but I won't know till its in place.

Next step is to get the formwork off and try a bit of polishing and maybe try to round the top edge.

Advertisement