Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peugeot 205 gti

• 01-04-2020 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

About time I started a thread for this to keep track of our progress and maybe some of you will find it interesting. Please don't be expecting top top quality work, this is just a project myself and my father took on as a past time. :) It's the first car we will have restored, hopefully not the last.

Back story: So about 3 years ago, myself and my father were on the lookout for a cheap 205 gti to restore. We found a gti shell for sale on DoneDeal, went to look at it and got it for cheap. It wasn't rolling, but the shell was very straight and had very little rust, just a patch that had to be repaired on the boot floor, and a very small section of the lower firewall of the engine bay. We got everything we needed with the shell except for an engine, gearbox, axle, struts, exhaust etc.

I'm trying to gather all the photos so bear with me, I may be missing some parts that we worked on. Also all photos so far have been taken on our phones so quality won't be great. Photos to follow...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Looking forward to this Ciano35.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭ratracer

What a classic motor,

following!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

So first we got the shell. It was a fairly mix and match with doors and stuff but it is an original gti shell. The reason it has different doors and boot is because the guy who sold it to us was breaking a few of them, and gave us the best/straightest parts he had.

3.png

4.png

1.png

2.png

IMG-4798.jpg

IMG-4800.jpg

First job was to start stripping it. This was a fairly easy, got it done in less than a day. We had the interior wiring looms but not the engine. Labelled all parts and plugs on wiring loom and stored away.

5.png

6.png

IMG-4833.jpg

Also a little bit of history about the car. It's originally a 1.6 gti, but the previous owner (not the guy who was breaking the car) took out the 1.6 engine... And put in a turbo diesel engine :o Nothing wrong with that I guess, but wouldn't personally have done it to a gti.

So first we made a few preparations. We bought an engine stand and crane:

21.png

Then we built a spray booth in our garage. Air is filtered on entry and there's an extractor fan built into the window. Also bought a very good quality spray gun, masks, water catch cans etc.

Exterior:

1.png

Interior (before lights were installed):

5.png

And test fitting another one of our 205's in there, fits perfectly ;)

6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Thanks for this OP. Loved these cars growing up. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Can’t wait to see this progress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quick suggestion can you convert future images to JPG, PNG is a real bandwidth hog :)

Great car, always fancied one even though I'm probably too tall to really fit the pedals.

Quick suggestion can you convert future images to JPG, PNG is a real bandwidth hog :)

Great car, always fancied one even though I'm probably too tall to really fit the pedals.

I'll see what I can do :)

Pictures now in jpeg ;)

Now that the shell was bare and panels taken off, it was time to prep it for paint. This meant days of sanding, priming and more sanding.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Then it was time to get a tin of the beautiful P3KB 205 gti cherry red paint. With paint prepped and spray booth brought up to temperature, we applied it to the underside and wheel arches first.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

Next up was the engine bay.

10.jpg

19.jpg

Next update will be pictures of the whole shell sprayed & lacquered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Fuk yeah. Following this!

• Advertisement

Next up was the coat of cherry red and lacquer. These pictures won't be the final result as it still needs to be polished/buffed. The doors, bonnet, boot doors and lower bumpers are also done but I don't have pictures because they're put away in safe storage for the time being.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Anybody who knows these old Peugeot's will know that the back axles were a weak point in them. So we refurbished it and painted it up, looks really well and looks even better on the car with Bilstein shocks (will show this in a future post).

5.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg
    (Ignore the front shocks, we ended up getting new Bilsteins)

1.jpg

2.jpg

Next we fixed the rear axle on along with their new set of Bilstein shocks. These shocks are 20% stiffer than OEM all around so should handle nicely while not being to hard. Test fitted the fuel tank as well.

2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Then we assembled the new front shocks and springs.

1.jpg

2.jpg

With hub and new bearing attached:

3.jpg

Crossmember before painting and after:

4.jpg

5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Fantastic!

Looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

That is one incredible renovation, what's it like working with your father? 😬

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Odelay wrote: »
    Fuk yeah. Following this!
    What Ode said. :D

Looks bloody brilliant so far.

I see you have a spray booth. Hmmm *scratches chin. notes this for future ref...* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

What a great project , loved those 205's.:D
    The photo's of refurbishing the rear axle brings back memories of doing 405's with my brother.

It will be a beauty when she's finished , enjoy the time with your Dad.

best of luck with it.:)

davycha:

Thanks all, nice to see all the interest! I was thinking you’d like this one Wibbs :) Yeah I live up the country away from home normally so it’s nice to be out in the garage at these projects with him.

We have 4 205’s, and they do keep us busy. The white one in the picture above is a 1.6 gti, the head gasket went last month :pac: thankfully it didn’t overheat or anything so should be a relatively easy fix.

We’ve a Miami blue gti with a 2.0 16v mi16 transplant, around 160bhp :) also parked up for a while as it really needs a full suspension refresh, and timing belt needs to be done too.

And then there’s a ‘junior’ 5 door that we’ve had in the family for almost years, with the bulletproof 1.8 xud Diesel engine. Honest to god, you could leave it parked up for over a year, hook up a battery to it and it’ll start straight away no bother.

So we’ve a blue gti, white gti, and will have a red gti when this project is finished... We’re looking forward to the day when we can line them up for a picture, blue white and red = french flag of gti’s :)

I’ll hopefully have another update for ye tomorrow, just need to organise all the new photos. Lots of progress being made!

Cian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Followed.

Never drove a 205Gti, but have fond memories of knocking about in the diesel 205 back around 1996. Christ, now I feel old!

Some of ye might be wondering what's supporting the 205 in the spray booth... It's a trolley my father fabricated from scratch :pac: It turned out to be very handy, could roll the shell around as needed, and bring it outside to work on it on a sunny day which thankfully we've been getting a good amount of the last few weeks.

1.jpg

Crossmember, gear linkages, steering column and rack refurbished and installed along with new wishbones and tie rods. Also installed the servo and brake bias valve and began doing the brake lines.

11.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

Then fitted the assembled front struts:

1.jpg

Then time for some real fun... organising and assembling the wiring looms :o

22.jpg

66.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Magown3

No update since April. Thing must be finished by now, lol.

Following with interest. Also have a 205 GTi in the garage that sadly doesn't get worked on as much as I'd like.

• Advertisement

Magown3 wrote: »
    No update since April. Thing must be finished by now, lol.

Following with interest. Also have a 205 GTi in the garage that sadly doesn't get worked on as much as I'd like.

Unfortunately no, it’s not finished. We got the engine in and just about running, and then our heads were turned by a new project... a VW t25 camper. I might throw up pictures of that soon and turn it into a combined 205/t25 thread. Feel free to post a picture of your 205 if you like :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Unfortunately no, it’s not finished. We got the engine in and just about running, and then our heads were turned by a new project... a VW t25 camper. I might throw up pictures of that soon and turn it into a combined 205/t25 thread. Feel free to post a picture of your 205 if you like :cool:

Was just wondering were you finished it when i seen the pic of the 205 engine bay in another thread. Glad your not depriving us of the rest of the build!

Advertisement