Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Please help me decide between these two,

Char-Broil-Patio-Bistro-180B-TRU-Infrared

WEBER® Q 1200 GAS GRILL

august12 wrote: »
    Please help me decide between these two,

Char-Broil-Patio-Bistro-180B-TRU-Infrared

WEBER® Q 1200 GAS GRILL

If the weber comes with the cart, the weber would be my choice. Apparently the Char-Broil might be a bit of a challenge to assemble so keep that in mind.

I looked at the Weber years ago- i couldn't figure out how the gas burner remains clear/clean from food droppings as the one in this series I looked at appeared to have quite exposed burners without any flavourising bars covering the exposed gas burner- maybe they've changed the design since as that was about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

Bit the bullet on the weber 210 deal from A room outside today. Collected it shortly after with a pizza stone and had 2 sirloins on it within the hour!

Where should a novice go to to learn the ropes on different cooking methods and stuff?

Weber's website is good. Anywhere else?

If the weber comes with the cart, the weber would be my choice. Apparently the Char-Broil might be a bit of a challenge to assemble so keep that in mind.

I looked at the Weber years ago- i couldn't figure out how the gas burner remains clear/clean from food droppings as the one in this series I looked at appeared to have quite exposed burners without any flavourising bars covering the exposed gas burner- maybe they've changed the design since as that was about 5 years ago.
    I think the burners are still exposed on the weber, whereas they don't seem to be on the other one.

august12 wrote: »
    I think the burners are still exposed on the weber, whereas they don't seem to be on the other one.

It seems to get good enough reviews- one website advocates the Q1300- apparently a much bigger cooking area for not much more money- is it for camping you’re buying it or as a home patio or balcony BBQ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Stumbled across this thread - what a great idea!

I was looking at getting a new bbq, and was advised for storage and authenticity to go for a good quality kettle type charcoal fired one. Looked online and narrowed it down to one from COOP Superstores. €100 reduced to €80. They wanted €30 to deliver it though and that was excessive so I canned the idea.

Called into a pal for a coffee at distance in the back garden. Mentioned this in passing.

5 minutes later I was loading a Landmann Gas BBQ into the back of the car! It was quite dirty but it cleaned up well. I rubbed down some surface rust and used satin black on the cold areas and an ultra high temp. paint I had on the outside hot areas. The piezo ignition took a bit of coaxing but came to life. It cooks via lava rocks. I used an oven cleaner (in a bag) overnight on the racks and they cleaned up very well also.

Most important of all it cooks really well! Just oiled the cooking rack and away it went.

I've ordered some non stick PTFE grill mats - seemed like a good idea from a cleaning and reuse perspective - scraping black soot off the rack is a bit of a pain.

Tonight I'll be cooking some ribeye steaks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Fair play on the thread. I've held out for a few years cause I've an uuni pizza oven and cast iron skillet. Perfect for rib eye but not all meats.

I'm keen on the hybrid functionality of those Char Broil although I'm not married to the brand.

I've also got about €500 worth of one4all vouchers I'd like to use on a BBQ. Does anyone know where I can bring this hybrid voucher dream together?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

hi all. been using the weber q3300 for a few years now. no issues with burners getting clogged with grease for me

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sahara X350 old type is now in to its third season, living entirely out doors under their branded covers only. Exterior still looks new and the grills clean up as new if you can be bothered.

First cover has suffered severe UV damage and was developing huge holes so was dumped; bought the new one which is apparently more UV proof but is also less form-fitting to the grill so you need to loop two opposite corners under the wheels which is an annoying two person job. It'll blow away otherwise.

Based on experience so far I'm very willing to recommend them. Has probably done eight meals so far this season, and would have done more if I was WFH!

Irish firm although I would not expect the units to be made in Ireland; doesn't say where. The new model has a centre-swappable "grill system", mine doesn't.

Probably comparable to Weber but cheaper enough to be worth going "off-brand".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭jos28

My BBQ cooking experience has been limited to chicken, burgers, steaks and sausages. I've never cooked a large piece of meat on one. I have a smallish eye of the round beef (1KG) for tomorrow. Can this be cooked on my Weber Spirit and if so what's the best way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

patsat wrote: »
    Bit the bullet on the weber 210 deal from A room outside today. Collected it shortly after with a pizza stone and had 2 sirloins on it within the hour!

Where should a novice go to to learn the ropes on different cooking methods and stuff?

Weber's website is good. Anywhere else?

This site gets mentioned a lot in the BBQ threads:
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/meatheads-memphis-dust-rub-recipe

The Orchard do courses, but not this year with the pandemic:

https://www.theorchard.ie/bbqworld.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Fair play on the thread. I've held out for a few years cause I've an uuni pizza oven and cast iron skillet. Perfect for rib eye but not all meats.

I'm keen on the hybrid functionality of those Char Broil although I'm not married to the brand.

I've also got about €500 worth of one4all vouchers I'd like to use on a BBQ. Does anyone know where I can bring this hybrid voucher dream together?

Argos have a few of the cheaper Weber bbqs for delivery. Loads of Weber accessories including charcoal. They take one4alls.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can only use 50 of a One4All in one go online since the latest anti money laundering regs came in; which is a complete pain in the arse.

It seems to get good enough reviews- one website advocates the Q1300- apparently a much bigger cooking area for not much more money- is it for camping you’re buying it or as a home patio or balcony BBQ?
    It's for home but I want a small compact one and generally for two person use.

pelliven wrote: »
    hi all. been using the weber q3300 for a few years now. no issues with burners getting clogged with grease for me
    That's good to know, torn between this model and char broil.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Got my new bbq off homestore yesterday and assembled it today which wasn't too bad.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/gas-barbecue/master-cook-classic-500-5-burner-bbq/066033.html

One slight problem. Instructions says it accepts both buthane and propane gas. After trying to connect a neighbours buthane barbell which didn't fit I went a got a bottle of propane /patio gas. Same problem though as the regulator wouldn't connect to bottle.

Can anyone recommend me what the right bottle and connection is for such bbq's. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

mjp wrote: »
    Got my new bbq off homestore yesterday and assembled it today which wasn't too bad.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/gas-barbecue/master-cook-classic-500-5-burner-bbq/066033.html

One slight problem. Instructions says it accepts both buthane and propane gas. After trying to connect a neighbours buthane barbell which didn't fit I went a got a bottle of propane /patio gas. Same problem though as the regulator wouldn't connect to bottle.

Can anyone recommend me what the right bottle and connection is for such bbq's. Thanks

We use Patio Gas canisters with ours. Like this one

[image] https://tomphibbs.ie/image/cache/catalog/download%20(6)-500x500.jpg[\image]

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

its the grey patio heater propane tank youre looking for or i think the flogas is a cream colour

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cooked a full meal on the Broil King yesterday.
    Chicken thigh fillets, fried/roast, crushed baby potatoes. Asparagus. Pine shoots.
    Very happy with the cooking area and heat control

MrHPl0o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cooked a full meal on the Broil King yesterday.
    Chicken thigh fillets, fried/roast, crushed baby potatoes. Asparagus. Pine shoots.
    Very happy with the cooking area and heat control.

I do the baby potatoes that come in microwave bags. I microwave them just short of the suggested time then put them on skewers with chorizo and whatever else I fancy and onto the bbq to get the chorizo juicy. Delightful.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    I do the baby potatoes that come in microwave bags. I microwave them just short of the suggested time then put them on skewers with chorizo and whatever else I fancy and onto the bbq to get the chorizo juicy. Delightful.

Mine were steamed the day before. I did them in a cast iron pan on the grill with just salt, pepper and olive oil.
    Chicken and asparagus done direct on the grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Just make sure you're pressing the button on the regulator when fitting it. It has a button under the valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭atilladehun

L1011 wrote: »
    You can only use 50 of a One4All in one go online since the latest anti money laundering regs came in; which is a complete pain in the arse.

Thanks for that. Did not know that. My local hardware is a topline. Might go into them on the 18th if they open up. The topline site is frustrating though, no prices.

https://www.topline.ie/garden-outdoors/outdoor-living/bbqs-outdoor-cooking/gas-bbq?category=all-categories&brand=all-brands&Page=1&PriceHigh=2147483647&PriceLow=0&SortBy=1&q=&ProductsPerPage=18

Did a piece of butterflyed leg of lamb yesterday. Just salt, pepper, Korean chilli flakes and olive oil.
    Had grilled tender stem broccoli and green lentils with it.
    Very, very tasty, tender spring lamb.

ojUAYTw.jpg

rekPjuh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That looks delicious, did it take long to cook?

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That looks delicious, did it take long to cook?

About 10 minutes on the grill and 15 minutes in a 50c oven.

About 10 minutes on the grill and 15 minutes in a 50c oven.

Is that temperature right?

salmocab wrote: »
    Is that temperature right?

Yes.
    It's really just resting at a warm temperature - not much more cooking going on.

Yes.
    It's really just resting at a warm temperature - not much more cooking going on.

Ah right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Frank11

Did my 1st cook on my new Weber Spirit II E-310 over the weekend. Couple of striplion steaks and corn on the cob. Steaks were delicious but i was surprised how long they took to cook compared to a hot pan.

The grill grates consist 3 pieces, left, right and circular center. I thought the grates were reversible, one side for thin grill lines and the other for thicker. The center piece will only fit when on the thicker grill line side. Is that correct?

Are people cleaning the flavoriser bars after every use?

Advertisement