Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

Outfought, outmuscled, outthought. Nothing happened for us last night, unable to gain any momentum when we had the ball and defence struggled all night. Are we really that reliant on Justin Smith? In fairness to the Seahawks they have hit top gear at the right time and they look a serious outfit. Kaepernick seemed to struggle with the crowd noise, he better adapt quickly because looks like we'll be on the road for the duration.
    To get to New Orleans we're going to have to do something we've not been able to do all season, win 3 games on the bounce.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

mickmc7 wrote: »
    Outfought, outmuscled, outthought. Nothing happened for us last night, unable to gain any momentum when we had the ball and defence struggled all night. Are we really that reliant on Justin Smith? In fairness to the Seahawks they have hit top gear at the right time and they look a serious outfit. Kaepernick seemed to struggle with the crowd noise, he better adapt quickly because looks like we'll be on the road for the duration.
    To get to New Orleans we're going to have to do something we've not been able to do all season, win 3 games on the bounce.

Completely agree. utterly toothless performance.

The defense got walked all over. They picked out a stat last night on the overall score between the 2nd half against the patriots and the 4 quarters last night the 49ers have conceded some crazy amount of points.

Vernon Davis got a concussion, hopefully he'll be back for the playoffs. Manningham got what looked like a nasty knee injury, I'd be surprised if he plays again this year. Justin Smith is out for next weeks game against Arizona, and as we've seen from when he went out the defense really needs him out there.

There was a lot of talk on the Week 16 thread about dropping Kaepernick and bringing Smith back. That would be utterly stupid in my opinion and a completely backwards step.

As far as the game is concerned the 49ers just got behind early and never really looked like getting back in the game. Easily the worst performance since Harbaugh arrived I would say.

It's hard to know where they go from here. Need to re-group and get back to basics.

The good thing is they have a home game against a poor team to wrap up the regular season. Beat Arizona, wrap up the division maybe Aldon Smith can get the sack record and then get ready for the playoffs.

We'll likely have to play a wildcard game unless the Vikings can beat the packers. That makes things doubly difficult as we'd likely wind up playing Green Bay on the road if we make it that far.

I didn't realise the packers have to play the Vikings, away. That's cheered me up a bit.

Don't see them losing to be honest, maybe if Peterson gets going they can control the clock etc but I'd be very surprised if the Packers were to lose next week/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No luck for the 49ers
    More brutal injuries: 49ers wide receiver Mario Manningham tore his ACL and PCL Sunday night vs. Seattle. Done for season.

kmart6 wrote: »
    No luck for the 49ers
    That's horrible but not really unexpected given how he went down.

Hopefully Vernon Davis gets over his concussion because we are now paper thin at receiver.

Crabtree, moss, ginn and Jenkins. Guess we'll find out if our first round draft choice is any good.

Partially torn triceps for Smith, we're really getting hammered with the injuries right now. I believe the plan is for him to play through the pain but you'd have your doubts how long he'll last or how effective he'd be.

Well the niners need to send Adrian Peterson a thank you card, as the Vikings send the 49ers to the number 2 seed,

also th 49ers need to find a kicker for the playoffs. Going for it on 4th down all the time is all well and good against the hapless Cards, but wont get it done in January.

NFC West Champs again

http://instagram.com/p/T4Xb4uiei9/

• Advertisement

Great result for the Vikings last night, what a huge difference that could make. Crystal ball time- beat greenbay and set up an NFC championship game at the stick against the Seahawks. They won't beat us again.
    But one step at a time....sit back next weekend and enjoy the wildcard games.

My god, this does not inspire me.

@AdamSchefter: 49ers signed K Billy Cundiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Was just coming in to post this, he must have impressed in tryouts. Wonder if his head is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Well if you're going to miss every FG you may as well get a touchback on every kickoff. I'd sign Eddy Carmona from across the bay though. Sure he's only an UDFA but he can really kick.

Well, they had to do something in fairness, wonder if they'll ditch Ackers or let them battle it out over the next week or so..

Tickets for the 49ers wembley game on sale next Thursday morning. Great opportunity to see the superbowl champs in the flesh!

So who do you want in the divisional?

Green Bay, Seattle or Washington?

Each bring their own set of problems, we've beaten Green Bay already, are 1-1 against the Seahawks and haven't played Washington yet.

I'd love another crack at Seattle, as I think it would be a great game and it would give us a chance to put right some of the things that went wrong that night in Seattle.

Green Bay, I think would be tough, they are running into a bit of form and have all their players back, I'd still give us a good chance at home, but I'd be worried about Rodgers, especially given our struggles rushing the passer of late.

As for the redskins, RGII and Alfred Morris scare me to be honest, I think they are the worst matchup of the 3, their pass defense is poor but they usually come up with a good game plan and the offense they run is so hard to stop,

In for a great game no matter what really, now to sit back and enjoy the wildcard matchups.

I'm hardly going out on a limb by saying I reckon we'll end up playing the packers. And to be honest, I'm happy enough and I'd be very confident in us progressing. Redskins wouldn't cause me too much concern should it be them and I bloody can't wait to pummel the Seahawks at the stick in the championship game should it pan out that way. I'm feeling good about our chances right now!!!
    Great to see smith back in training too, so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Its great to have this bye week, we can sit back look at whats happening in the division I think the AFC will end up with the Patriots and the Bronco's but the NFC is a different ball game. Washington on a 6 winning streak, Seattle really coming strong towards the end of the season but I think we'll end up playing the Packers and that's going to be a tough game a lot has happened since the first game of the season but hopefully were going to be more complete than we were for the last few games. Kapernick seems to play well as long as he's allowed to throw the ball and with out J Smith the defense have show up a lot more frailty and Aldon hasn't got the room he had before. Its going to be a nerve biting weekend next weekend.

So it's the Packers, they've got pretty much all of their players back now, and while they didn't face much opposition from Webb, I thought they looked good.

It should be a cracking game anyway, 49ers will need Justin Smith back and playing something close to 100%.

Absolutely need to be getting pressure on Rodgers.

Offensively we will need to establish the run, Gore hasn't had a 100 yard game since week 7.

I'm pretty confident that Kaepernick will be ready for his first playoff game....

Anyway, thought I'd post this up, the epic end to the last time the Packers and 49ers met in the playoffs at candlestick, Favre,Young, TO etc...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

I'm a long time Niners fan who grew up with Montana, first time to post in here. Glad to see Smith getting sidelined, tough alright, but kaepernick brings an x factor Smith hasn't got. Green Bay are coming on form at the right time, it's gonna be close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

mongoman wrote: »
    I'm a long time Niners fan who grew up with Montana, first time to post in here. Glad to see Smith getting sidelined, tough alright, but kaepernick brings an x factor Smith hasn't got. Green Bay are coming on form at the right time, it's gonna be close.

Green Bay for the win. The 49ners always flatter to deceive in playoff football during the modern era

Green Bay for the win. The 49ners always flatter to deceive in playoff football
    Do they? must have been when I wasn't looking.

Packers fans seem very confident, not sure where it's coming from to be honest.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Do they? must have been when I wasn't looking.

Packers fans seem very confident, not sure where it's coming from to be honest.

One Superbowl appearance in 20 odd years ?

Point me to these playoffs where they "always flatter to deceive".

Point me to these playoffs where they "always flatter to deceive".

Since 1990 the Giants, the Cowboys and the Packers have been in the Superbowl 3 times more than the 49ners. No doubt the 1980s was the decade of the 49ners but in the modern era they have come up short whilst a side like the Saints have won the big one since the noughties.

So not being in the playoffs is"always flattering to deceive in the playoffs"?

So not being in the playoffs is"always flattering to deceive in the playoffs"?

They have been in the playoff but come unstuck

You're going back an awful long way there.. Before last year it was 10 years ago since we were in the playoffs which makes it pretty much irrelevant as far as this game goes.

• Advertisement

You're going back an awful long way there.. Before last year it was 10 years ago since we were in the playoffs which makes it pretty much irrelevant as far as this game goes.

Taking your point on board then the 49ners given their past record under Montana have underperformed terribly over the last decade while the Giants, Green Bay, and the Saints have all one the big one and in some cases more than once. Therefore this points to my original confidence in Green Bay winning in Candle Stick because Green Bay in the recent past have shown they are a big time team whilst San Fran bottled it last year at home. They remind me of the Falcons in that way

Advertisement