Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning colder?.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

13ztpxt.png

850 mean is below the 30 year average from around the 16th onwards and the operational run stays below zero from the 19th until the far reaches of FI.

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

On track for quite a cold period of weather for the second half of October.

Rtavn1681.png

I think the most likely outcome is frosty nights and heavy wintry showers. Remember inland convection is still likely this time of year so it's not like a Northerly in the depths of Winter leading to dry conditions inland and with very cold air travelling over a comparatively mild sea some beefy showers are likely. I suspect at low levels it will be rain, hail and sleet with higher ground getting the first snow of the season. Still things could get colder or maybe not quite as cold as is being forecast for the time of year so watch this space!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

6.9c here in foggy aul shamtown, highest temp of the day so far.

I hope we get decent snow so I can go sledding down the Palace Grounds!

On Monday, we were outside the college with the legs of our trousers pulled up sunbathing, today I would contemplate gloves and a scarf. How does it go from one extreme to the other so quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

mars bar wrote: »
    I hope we get decent snow so I can go sledding down the Palace Grounds!

On Monday, we were outside the college with the legs of our trousers pulled up sunbathing, today I would contemplate gloves and a scarf. How does it go from one extreme to the other so quickly!

Yep, I thought we were supposted to be in an Indian Summer this week, but it was definitely winter woolies weather in Meath at lunchtime. Almost like a freezing fog (except it obviously wasn't quite that cold)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

:D:D:D Thanks Nacho!!!
    The perfect winter scenario :)
    Looks like the London boroughs are also preparing for a 'white-out' winter so it MUST be true;)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

ye its a cooler than the last few days but there is no chance of snow :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Latest UKMO 144hrs chart keeping up the theme of the autumnal chill setting in:

130886.gif

A set up like that could bring quite thundery conditions at times to exposed coastal locations of the NW/N/NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Looking good :).Hopefully this winter will be colder than last years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I'm not convinced that come next week we'll have the setup the charts are painting now, but I hope I'm wrong. We need a retrogressive pattern to make anything out of that northerly, or else it's just going to slide on by us to the east.

We need it though, as sea surface temperatures in the higher latitudes are way above normal. A sustained northerly outbreak will help get us back to an even playing field before the start of winter proper.

ncoda_1440x721_global_anom.gif

so bascially what your saying is if the sea surface temperatures don't cool down soon, we'll likely lose out in any marginal situations this winter, and cold airmasses from the north and northwest over Ireland maybe be modified quicker as well??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

so bascially what your saying is if the sea surface temperatures don't cool down soon, we'll likely lose out in any marginal situations this winter, and cold airmasses from the north and northwest over Ireland maybe be modified quicker as well??

Well warmer sea temperatures won't help, put it that way, except maybe in the formation of polar lows. All too many times were conditions on the wrong side of marginal last winter, so we'll need all the help we can get. Cold seas extending further south will reduce the chance of arctic airmasses modifying before reaching us.

But it's very early days yet, so nothing to worry about, but the earlier those seas cool, the colder they can get before the end of the winter. But this time last year it was the reverse - cold around Greenland and fairly normal to slightly above to our north. We're starting off at a disadvantage this year, so we've a lot of ground to make up.

sst_anom-091011.gifsst_anom-101010.gif

On the plus side, warmer seas to our north this winter would prove to be very helpful in increasing instability substantially which in turn increases the chance of stronger and more volitile polar troughing, which Su has already alluded too. I think the problem last year is that because sea temps were relatively low, there was very little instability created when arctic airmasses plunged down. Of course, some coastal areas did fairly well, but it is astonishing that during one of the coldest winters in living memory, coupled with below average MSLP values for much of the winter, that very little snow fell over the country as a whole; and may I add, very little weather in general.

Warmer than average sea temps would increase the chance of big weather developing. Last winter taught me a good lesson, in that cold winters are not necessarily interesting one's weatherwise. I know most posters on here are snow hunters, so am I, but at this stage, all I want to see is some proper big weather. :o

18Z GFS has a more potent northerly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭pauldry

Apart from showery weather from the N and W in the coming weeks I dont see any big weather for the rest of October. Roll on November

ECM not so keen to strengthen the northerly flow in its 00z run. Brief flirt with cold uppers over the north of Ireland but coincides with intensifying surface divergence which would kill off any chance of major shower development:

144hrs:
    130946.png

168hrs:
    130947.png

UKMO 00z run agrees.

144hrs chart:

130948.gif

Exciting stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

gens-0-0-180.png?0

No major change on the 06Z GFS from the 0Z for the potential wintry snap next week.

oiw5j4.png

33w8tck.png

And just for the laugh (take a major pinch of salt with this kind of chart) :

f5czti.png

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Im doing the Dublin City Marathon on Oct 25th.Accuweather on its 15 day forecast says it will be dry and cloudy with temp ranges from 12-8c,sounds ideal for a marathon.How "accurate" is accuweather for these 15day ones?

• Advertisement

Sorry if this has already been posted:

A hat trick of cold winters for the UK?

bg_snow3.jpg
    In Britain between 1991 and 2007 most winters were mild, but the last two years have brought a change, with 2009/10 bringing the coldest conditions since 1979 to many parts of the country. So a cold winter this year would mean the third in succession. Is it likely? As ever, long range forecasting is about identifying broad patterns and trends, and given this TheWeatherOutlook view is that a colder than average conditions are likely this winter. However, the pattern which develops may be different this time, with the cold tending to come more from the east or south east rather than the north east. In this scenario the heaviest snow often occurs in the boundary zone between the cold dry air from the east, and the mild and moist air trying to push in from the Atlantic, but the cold can be most persistent in eastern regions. Our full and final winter forecast will be issued in late November as usual. Read the press release and initial winter prospects summary. Also follow TWO Buzz during the next few days as we discuss this further.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/

A more continental sourced winter forecast this time around, which appeals to my base intincts!

So, some long range forecasts are going for a mild winter, some going for a cold one so basically we are none-the-wiser really. :)

Aiel wrote: »
    Im doing the Dublin City Marathon on Oct 25th.Accuweather on its 15 day forecast says it will be dry and cloudy with temp ranges from 12-8c,sounds ideal for a marathon.How "accurate" is accuweather for these 15day ones?

Not very accurate at all. You'd be better off checking the Met Eireann outlook 3 or 4 days before the day itself.

DE I hope they are right! We could get a proper snow event from something like that. Looking into their press release I see a little more detail :

So I wouldn’t be surprised to see some locations in the west of Britain and Northern Ireland having significant snowfalls, but the coldest weather is likely to persist for longer in eastern Britain.

Of course the snow isn't going to stop on the border. ;)

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

[QUOTE=
    Of course the snow isn't going to stop on the border. ;)

Fingers crossed.[/QUOTE]

No it will. It'll all fall in Coleraine I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Isnt it great to see the forum buzzing with snow talk in early october , should be an interesting 6 months :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Well I'm happy there will be no snow next week around here, it is time enough when the cattle are in for the winter.

I know some say they didn't get much snow last winter but some got a lot of snow.

Are there some places that have winter's with no snow? Everywhere must have got snow last winter but in the milder winters - are there places that have gone winters with no snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Min wrote: »
    Well I'm happy there will be no snow next week around here, it is time enough when the cattle are in for the winter.

I know some say they didn't get much snow last winter but some got a lot of snow.

Are there some places that have winter's with no snow? Everywhere must have got snow last winter but in the milder winters - are there places that have gone winters with no snow?

I live right on the coast here in Louth and dont get much snow and any that would fall goes fairly quickly. Last winter was we seen snow:)

It looks like the highlands of Scotland will be the only place that will see snow next week at this stage.

Ah it was too early for low ground in Ireland to get snow from northerly anyway.
    We've hopefully got four-five months of snow-watching to look forward to! Our time will come!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

We've hopefully got four-five months of snow-watching to look forward to! Our time will come!

I agree - best to get all the boring stuff out of the way now(and the weather recently has been very dull and looks like continuing that way next week) rather then waste the likes of January and Feb when hopefully things will liven up the way snow/winter lovers like:)

Advertisement