Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whitening yellowed plastic

Options
  • 28-03-2021 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Anyone any ideas on how to whiten yellowed plastic? Im restoring a chainsaw its a stihl, the plastic parts (white) like the petrol tank etc have aged and yellowed a bit. Its not discoloured right through because i scratched a bit underneath and it came up white so its just the surface. I dont think bleaching will work. Any ideas? TIA..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭lucalux

cat320 wrote: »
    Anyone any ideas on how to whiten yellowed plastic? Im restoring a chainsaw its a stihl, the plastic parts (white) like the petrol tank etc have aged and yellowed a bit. Its not discoloured right through because i scratched a bit underneath and it came up white so its just the surface. I dont think bleaching will work. Any ideas? TIA..

You could try:
    Kitchen sponge, the yellow and green ones usually, but i think lidl/aldi have green and pink ones, or yellow and white ones (not too abrasive but a bit of scrub in them), and Cif/Jif/cream cleaner. Shouldn't leave any scuff marks and will get most of it clean hopefully.

For smaller areas, nooks and crannies, you could use an old toothbrush to get into them.

If you're finding the yellowing won't lift, try a bit of white vinegar and fairy liquid in warm water to repeat the process, or verry dilute Milton/sterilising fluid and fairy liquid after. Careful on any metal areas, but if well diluted it shouldn't pose any problems.

Wipe down with a dampened cloth (just water) to remove any cleaning products after you're done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

There's plenty of tutorials on Youtube where guys restore old computer and gaming accessories which have yellowed plastic cases. Unfortunately I don't think the solution is permanent though...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭con747

cat320 wrote: »

I used a method like this before on minor scratches on my car and it worked. Just make sure you use the right toothpaste with mild abrasives in it. https://www.hunker.com/12446529/how-to-use-toothpaste-to-clean-plastic

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭cletus

The YouTube method referred to is essentially leaving the plastic in a tub of bleach, and then use UV light to activate it

http://www.matilo.eu/restauratie/english-bleaching-yellowed-plastic/?lang=en#:~:text=UV%20radiation%20causes%20stabilizing%20agents,the%20yellowing%20of%20the%20plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

Cosmo fein or 123 Pvc cleaner either should work the Cosmo will be slightly harsher on the plastic but should leave it spotless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Cif cream and a good bit of scrubbing

No chemical solution will work. I’ve tried everything the internet had to offer to remove discolouration on Husqvarna and Stihl plastics on a wide age range of saws. The only thing that will work is wet sanding with a range of paper grits followed by plastic polishing, finishing up the job with a coat of lacquer.

It’s an awful waste of time and effort either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's a chemical breakdown by the sun's UV rays. The manufacturers need to put an inhibitor in the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a technique that's quite popular among Lego Collectors and Retro PC Collectors called the "Retr0brite method" that involves leaving the parts in a Hydrogen Peroxide / Oxiclean mixture in sunlight. I've used it myself on an old Lego set that had yellowed badly. You can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retr0bright

444599.jpg

The effects won't last forever as it's essentially a flaw in the plastic but the lego set above is still looking good 2 years on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

JayZeus wrote: »
    No chemical solution will work. I’ve tried everything the internet had to offer to remove discolouration on Husqvarna and Stihl plastics on a wide age range of saws. The only thing that will work is wet sanding with a range of paper grits followed by plastic polishing, finishing up the job with a coat of lacquer.

It’s an awful waste of time and effort either way.

You obviously haven’t tried Cif because that gets it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Cif won't do anything if it's the same scenario as the lego above - the plastic has chemically altered and cif wouldn't be a strong enough grinding agent to remove the affected layer of plastic (at least not by hand, maybe with a polishing mop?)

Gael23 wrote: »
    You obviously haven’t tried Cif because that gets it off

You obviously haven’t dealt with chainsaw plastics and their discolouration. Cif won’t touch it. An absolute waste of time, for certain.

Advertisement