Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Destiny 2.0 (PC)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I..... just can't look at PC gameplay.

It annoys me that PC has a better version of the game - that the gunplay is better.

Graphics, Textures, FoV, FPS etc - grand, I expect them to be better. But the actual shooting mechanics and gun handling? That is fecking irritating.

Hey, I herd you might be in a good mood, so I said I'd leave you this masterpiece from reddit

MU1Pezz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Hey, I herd you might be in a good mood, so I said I'd leave you this masterpiece from reddit

That really is a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

As long as the PC port is decent its always going to be the case that a decent PC can run it better than consoles.

For me the biggest improvement would be 60fps,wouldnt be surprised at all if that alone was mostly responsible for making the gunplay feel better. I still think it feels good on console though.

But like others im not sure the game looking prettier would have any affect about how i feel about it. I just cant help feeling ive other games im currently playing that im getting more from so Destiny rarely gets turned on now.

Maybe players who never played D1 will not have these hang ups though.

Its a shorter,tighter and less grindy experience than D1 which should make me like it more but i dont weirdly!!

I'm not sure how useable the 105 setting would be. I guess it's dependent on your monitor
    I know when I played BL2 (on console), after a certain point it became "fish eyed" (I think ~92 or so).
    Maybe that was just cause I was playing it on Console tbh, as I've said before I don't play FPS on console, so maybe one of the lads can let us know what they are finding optimum/useable on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 44,994 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

EoinHef wrote: »
    As long as the PC port is decent its always going to be the case that a decent PC can run it better than consoles.

For me the biggest improvement would be 60fps,wouldnt be surprised at all if that alone was mostly responsible for making the gunplay feel better. I still think it feels good on console though.

But like others im not sure the game looking prettier would have any affect about how i feel about it. I just cant help feeling ive other games im currently playing that im getting more from so Destiny rarely gets turned on now.

Maybe players who never played D1 will not have these hang ups though.

Its a shorter,tighter and less grindy experience than D1 which should make me like it more but i dont weirdly!!

My 'issue' is that I believe crucible is quite different on PC due to movement seeming sharper/quicker and gun handling being different to console - guns are just better, apparently, which speeds up the game and makes it less of a campy team shot thing. That is what we get me playing more on console - PvP being better and being more of a draw to others to play too so that I can fire team up more.

D2 PvP on console being very team focused, while I have a rapidly dwindling small group of players willing to play PvP with me has taken away a massive part of why I played so much D1.

As I say, I don't mind Field of View or Textures being better - but it annoys me that the game fundementally plays different on PC, in ways that don't make sense or aren't just down to PC being different. I could understand if snipers were better due to KB&M, but guns simply don't have recoil on PC (a big stability issue on console) and I believe they don't have bloom either. That is a core reason the PC version feels better and smoother according to steamers I watch - and there is no reason why the console version is suffering these aim/shot mechanics if Bungie feel they aren't gameplay requirements on PC.

I'm not saying the PC should be brought in-line - my problem is (based on why i hear and have seen) the PC version plays like the console version SHOULD, and it annoys me that the difference exists. If the PC version game mechanics are better then god damn implement them on the console version.

Again, I'm not hating on the PC version or screaming for it to be nerfed.

If console played like PC (regardless of FOV etc) I'd play more D2 - I played very little PvE in years 2 or 3 of D1, apart from bounties to try get a better Eyasluna etc.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gun play and movement are sharper and quicker because of a combination of KB&M and the game running better. The only way this wouldn't have been the case was if they messed up the port.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It annoys me that PC has a better version of the game - that the gunplay is better.

Graphics, Textures, FoV, FPS etc - grand, I expect them to be better. But the actual shooting mechanics and gun handling? That is fecking irritating.

Thats pretty much every fps on PC compared to console, simply no comparison.
    Overwatch is a prime example, watching my son play it on console is so slow and hes excellent with a controller.
    Its like a totally different game on PC.

Apart from controller being so much slower, pc can also play destiny @ 144fps @2560X1440 or even 4k @ 60+fps .

Its the whole package that makes fps games so much better on PC, superior and faster controls,vastly more powerful hardware on pc complimenting the pure gaming monitors a lot of us are using, 144 hz has to be sen to be believed.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Gun play and movement are sharper and quicker because of a combination of KB&M and the game running better. The only way this wouldn't have been the case was if they messed up the port.

Controller gameplay on PC is ALSO better because of game mechanic differences though.

ALl the streams I watch saying:

1. Controller support on PC is superb.
    2. Controller usage on PC is *possibly* overpowered relative to where it should be vs KB&M.
    3. Gun handling, movement, crispiness, aiming, hit registration, lack of bloom are all better on PC, with controller usage, over console.

Loads of people feel D2 gunplay isn't doesn't feel as good as D1 - something doesn't feel right - I personally thought it was/is lowered aim assistance/bullet magnetism and I see streamers saying D2 on PC feels like D1 on console.

I'm only going by what the streamers I watch say (DCP people, FalloutPlays, TruVanguard). Maybe they are wrong.

are there people *HERE* who have played D1 and D2 on console, and D2 on PC using a controller? What are the opinions?

Dcully wrote: »
    Thats pretty much every fps on PC compared to console, simply no comparison.
    Overwatch is a prime example, watching my son play it on console is so slow and hes excellent with a controller.
    Its like a totally different game on PC.

Apart from controller being so much slower, pc can also play destiny @ 144fps @2560X1440 or even 4k @ 60+fps .

Its the whole package that makes fps games so much better on PC, superior and faster controls,vastly more powerful hardware on pc complimenting the pure gaming monitors a lot of us are using, 144 hz has to be sen to be believed.

An Overwatch PC player on controller has a significantly different experience to a KB&M user - which (according to everyone I have seen comment on the issue) isn't the case on Destiny 2 PC. Bungie/VV haven't taken Aim Assist etc away from controllers like was done on PC Overwatch - so yes, it makes complete sense that they are very different games between PC and Console.

Bloom being gone or limited in comparison to console version is nothing to do with frame rates or resolution. That is a gameplay mechanic they have changed on the PC version.

If they removed those some mechanics from the console version I would be delighted and if the PC version can function well without them then why can't the console version? What is the difference? You can use a controller on both so controller usage itself can't be the answer to that question.

Forget about KB&M usage and forget about framerates.

I want the console version of the game to play the same as the PC version of the game when using a controller.

Why does there HAVE to be a difference in game mechanics between PC and Console when using the same inputs? Does framerate effect whether a bullet goes where you have pointed?

Forget about KB&M usage and forget about framerates.

Your just choosing to ignore what is blatantly obvious so and the very reason you seem to be upset about.
    Its like your being explained the reasons for what your complaining about but choose to ignore the fact.
    Bloom being gone or limited in comparison to console version is nothing to do with frame rates or resolution. That is a gameplay mechanic they have changed on the PC version.

What is this bloom you speak of?
    Only bloom i know of is the graphical lighting effect called Bloom.

Framerate makes a dramatic difference, combine that with M&KB 30 fps is goingto play like a snail compared to 144fps regardless of the game your playing.

• Advertisement

Your just choosing to ignore what is blatantly obvious so and the very reason you seem to be upset about.
    Its like your being explained the reasons for what your complaining about but choose to ignore the fact.

What is this bloom you speak of?
    Only bloom i know of is the graphical lighting effect called Bloom.

Framerate makes a dramatic difference, combine that with M&KB 30 fps is goingto play like a snail compared to 144fps regardless of the game your playing.

If you don't know what the mechanics I am complaining about are - then you cant really argue that I am ignoring the explanations. You don't know if your explanations are actually relevant to the complaint. IMO they aren't.

In Destiny 2 (and Destiny 1) on console, guns have bloom.

If I shoot my handcannon the bullet will go where I am - then bloom occurs. If I shoot again too soon the bullet will go to a random point within a cone of where I am pointing. So in a gun fight where I point won't be where the bullet goes *some* of the time - so evening if I am pointing at a headshot I might hit nothing at all.

That, apparently, isn't an issue, or is a much smaller issue on PC. When using a controller.

On Destiny 2 on console if I shoot my handcannon the gun aim will recoil away from centre and take time to return to centre (this is also part of where bloom occurs but isn't limited to the recoil time). On PC, VV/Bungie have said they have removed recoil because it didn't feel right when using a mouse. When using a controller it doesn't occur either.

Why can't the basic way a gun functions in terms of point-shoot-hit where i pointed be the same on Console as it is on PC when using the exact same controller?

Why does KB&M being a thing mean the mechanics are different, and better on PC, when using a controller? If no recoil and no bloom is acceptable on the PC version when using a controller why are console players stuck with it - having complained about these exact mechanics for 3 years?

Frame Rates and Resolution don't explain this. I can understand the mechanics might feel crap on PC with a mouse (they feel crap on controller too!) so I can understand the change on PC. But it is a change that would greatly benefit the console players too, all of them, so why not give us the same mechanics?

I managed to find a complete fix for the console Handcannon Bloom issue

If you don't know what the mechanics I am complaining about are - then you cant really argue that I am ignoring the explanations. You don't know if your explanations are actually relevant to the complaint. IMO they aren't.

In Destiny 2 (and Destiny 1) on console, guns have bloom.

If I shoot my handcannon the bullet will go where I am - then bloom occurs. If I shoot again too soon the bullet will go to a random point within a cone of where I am pointing. So in a gun fight where I point won't be where the bullet goes *some* of the time - so evening if I am pointing at a headshot I might hit nothing at all.

That, apparently, isn't an issue, or is a much smaller issue on PC. When using a controller.

On Destiny 2 on console if I shoot my handcannon the gun aim will recoil away from centre and take time to return to centre (this is also part of where bloom occurs but isn't limited to the recoil time). On PC, VV/Bungie have said they have removed recoil because it didn't feel right when using a mouse. When using a controller it doesn't occur either.

Why can't the basic way a gun functions in terms of point-shoot-hit where i pointed be the same on Console as it is on PC when using the exact same controller?

Why does KB&M being a thing mean the mechanics are different, and better on PC, when using a controller? If no recoil and no bloom is acceptable on the PC version when using a controller why are console players stuck with it - having complained about these exact mechanics for 3 years?

Frame Rates and Resolution don't explain this. I can understand the mechanics might feel crap on PC with a mouse (they feel crap on controller too!) so I can understand the change on PC. But it is a change that would greatly benefit the console players too, all of them, so why not give us the same mechanics?

All you had to do in the very beginning was mention recoil or crosshair bloom and everyone would know what your talking about.

I dont have the game so i cant comment [ill buy it if and when it gets a decent endgame]

If they left recoil out of the PC version thats a bit silly to be fair because recoil is easier countered with KB&M.
    99% of PC fps games have recoil and in some cases more recoil than the console versions of these games, planetside 2 for example is a prime example.

All you had to do in the very beginning was mention recoil and everyone would know what your talking about.

I dont have the game so i cant comment [ill buy it if and when it gets a decent endgame]

If they left recoil out of the PC version thats a bit silly to be fair because recoil is easier countered with KB&M.
    99% of PC fps games have recoil and in some cases more recoil than the console versions of these games, planetside 2 for example is a prime example.

My first post said shooting mechanics and my second post said recoil and bloom. I stated those were my issues.

Well you went about it in a roundabout way thats for sure lol.

Maybe you should just buy a PC then :)

Cheapest place to get this?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cheapest place to get this?

CdKeys I'd say.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    CdKeys I'd say.

Wiinar niwinerr chickenad dinern

http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/buy-destiny-2-cd-key-compare-prices/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

I picked up the PC version out of curiosity. Hip fire is now a reasonable thing, range on most stuff is irrelevant, it plays even more differently than I would have guessed.

Running at 1080p and 144hz, it's like butter.

Haven't been overly pushed by the game on PS4 and this may follow suit. Nice that replaying it on pc offers a fresh take purely based on visuals and control.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hey guys,

I played Destiny 1 primarily solo due to hating the whole controller thing. But will be up for MP content on the PC after finishing up the SP and getting my head in the game. Battlenet ID Ahriakin#1166

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

No offense, or master raceishness (I have a PS4 and Xbox one, most consoles since the Sega era). But M+KBD rules FPS, and I am profoundly grateful they didn't fk this up on the PC version. As you said graphics you expect, but the control level...thank god they didn't compromise. After playing initial-release 1 on the PS4, and the end-all-dlc on the Xbox (the wife stole my PS4 :( ) it is honestly fantastic to continue the franchise with my own control of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The better gun handling is only to be expected with a mouse though.

Or are you referring to recoil/recovery, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I'm not saying the PC should be brought in-line - my problem is (based on why i hear and have seen) the PC version plays like the console version SHOULD, and it annoys me that the difference exists. If the PC version game mechanics are better then god damn implement them on the console version.

Again, I'm not hating on the PC version or screaming for it to be nerfed.

There is only so much you can do with the console hardware.

Developers are now pretty much maxed out in terms of visual fidelity on consoles.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    There is only so much you can do with the console hardware.

Developers are now pretty much maxed out in terms of visual fidelity on consoles.

Visual Fidelity isn't part of my complaint.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    The better gun handling is only to be expected with a mouse though.

Or are you referring to recoil/recovery, etc?

recoil, recovery and handling when using a controller.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Played an hour or so last night, and it looks and runs incredibly good. Gunplay feels great, sound design is excellent, and the first few missions were fun enough. Looking forward to getting back into it this weekend.

I'll put up my Blizzard ID later as well (can't remember it at the moment), for anyone who wants to do some co-op.

Is there a discord for PC players going? A few of us on the boards battlegrounds discord have got it. Might just use that

I don't know whats going on but its good craic.

The opening is brilliant. I thought I was watching an intro video at first, minimal amount of menus and suddenly your in the thick of it. Grips you from the get go. More games should start like that rather than some forced tutorial.

• Advertisement

People agreeing with Conovar

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/792hla/after_using_handcannons_on_both_pc_and_ps4_hand/

EDIT: Aaaaaand it's just been added to the "Bungie Please" list on Reddit, which is one of the things the developers actually look at. so that's good news for you. Give it 2.5 years

Advertisement