Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny 2.0 (PC)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭ Kaydence Fat Spaceship

Thanks for trying to help us understand the game but perhaps you can explain for example why is the PvE more than just a wave shooter?

My impression of the Beta was that this is just a generic shooter like Halo. I know there is a place for games like Halo (I loved those games on the xbox back in the day) but PC games have moved on...if even just a little :)

There are multiple aspects to the games PvE. There is an open world for you to explore.

It has a myriad of modes and activities for you: Lost Sectors, Public Events, Flashpoints and Adventures just to get started.

Strikes (Which is what the beta had) in a romantic sense serve as an intense, action packed wave shooter (it is what it is) with a story that you run in a match making group. 3 players. Unromantically, strikes are what you do to gear up for your first raid.
    Strikes till you puke

Each activity can be solved with the age-old tradition of applying a few bullets to the dilemma at hand.

I haven't played Halo so I cannot comment on the similarities between the games. That being said they are from the same studios so I'm sure you will find things that are familiar.

----
    and how does PvP compare to other popular PC FPS games

PvP is incredibly difficult to give a fair overview on.

Overwatch's heavy reliance on team balance and not just being kill-centric is very unique, so it's hard to compare.

PvP is still essentially a class based shooter with a slower TTK than COD. It has longer gunfights and throws in powers to boot.

---
    ...I still think I'm missing something, it can't just be hype, can it?

What kind of a game is Destiny? A first-person shooter at its core, mixed with various other genres in an effort to stand out from the pack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I had the first one on PS4 but none of my friends played it. I'm going to pick it up when it's out. Any interest in setting a clan up? I don't see one for PC on the Destiny forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looks like it's another example of a game with terrible microtransactions. Buying stat improvements for guns, and shaders that are one time use? **** that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭ gizmo

Thanks for trying to help us understand the game but perhaps you can explain for example why is the PvE more than just a wave shooter and how does PvP compare to other popular PC FPS games?

My impression of the Beta was that this is just a generic shooter like Halo. I know there is a place for games like Halo (I loved those games on the xbox back in the day) but PC games have moved on...if even just a little :)

...I still think I'm missing something, it can't just be hype, can it?
    Strikes feature design which I consider similar to the level before a boss or other meaningful confrontation in your typical shooter title. In the context of Destiny, they tend to serve as markers within or bookends to particular story arcs which is why they tend to feature something big once you reach the end. The other story-based PvE missions leading up to these feature your more typical shooter level design. The Strikes also generally come with higher difficulty levels and are more designed for team-based play which is why they're prime candidates for the grinding JasonS246 talks about above and why they probably feature in the beta releases.

Having just finished Destiny myself recently, playing almost entirely solo, the Strikes served their above purpose once and in some later game phases twice when certain objectives were tweaked for the purposes of the story or particular quests but I never participated in the grind and still enjoyed my time with them.

EDIT: With respect to the Halo comparison, I've played each iteration up to Halo 3 and have always enjoyed the single player campaign within. I never had any time for the multiplayer, however, as the floatiness of the character movement and longer TTK isn't something that appeals to me in PvP combat. When it came to Destiny I had nearly the exact same opinion of both modes although I'll happily point to the superior gun handling found in the later game making the experience more enjoyable in general.
    Kiith wrote: »
    Looks like it's another example of a game with terrible microtransactions. Buying stat improvements for guns, and shaders that are one time use? **** that.
    Judging by that video it looks like they're using the Pay-To-Skip attitude to early game upgrades with the Blue-Tier Engrams which, for anyone who spends even a modicum of time with the game, will discover are common as muck.

What they do with the system in the future, however, remains potentially worrisome, at least for people with less impulse control than a curious hamster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

This launches in 40 minutes on PC. Gonna stream some at: www.twitch.tv/theliber8or if anyone is interested. I might try and run it at 4K and see how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I loved Destiny 1 on the ps4, despite all the criticism online I really enjoyed it. Really looking forward to trying this out on the pc and am ignoring on the negative comments on IGN etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Negative comments are also from well respected diehard destiny 1 fans, people who want the game to be great and have tonnes to do but sadly it doesnt.

I was definitely buying it but no endgame has turned me right off, a game like this needs endgame.
    I cant help but compare that to warframe and its seemingly endless replayability and endgame.

Pretty sure the campaign will be a great experience but a game like this needs real meat after you play the campaign, look at diablo everyone buys it for that endless grind and not for its campaign.

Dcully wrote: »
    Negative comments are also from well respected diehard destiny 1 fans, people who want the game to be great and have tonnes to do but sadly it doesnt.

I was definitely buying it but no endgame has turned me right off, a game like this needs endgame.
    I cant help but compare that to warframe and its seemingly endless replayability and endgame.

Pretty sure the campaign will be a great experience but a game like this needs real meat after you play the campaign, look at diablo everyone buys it for that endless grind and not for its campaign.
    I buy Diablo for the campaign so I'm well looking forward to this, **** yis! :pac:

Note: After my experience with vanilla Destiny and its content lightness, I had no intention of touching this until later but I got a code with my new GPU so it'd be rude not to I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Anyone know if this is free with GTX 1080 cards on Amazon.co.uk?
    i get the notice on Amazon.com but not co.uk

KilOit wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is free with GTX 1080 cards on Amazon.co.uk?
    i get the notice on Amazon.com but not co.uk
    It was in the previous promotion, but when I got mine, Amazon UK were listed on the list of participating partners here. While they're not listed there now, they are listed on the US portal so I wouldn't be too sure. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Streaming again: www.twitch.tv/theliber8or

Kinda enjoying this so far... Surprised it runs so well at 4K.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really enjoying it so far, story is way better than Destiny 1 so far. Really liking the locations as well, graphics and atmosphere.

Dissapointing to hear that the end game isn't really there, let's hope it gets fleshed out with the expansions later in the year.

Destiny 1 didn't really have great end game either until The Taken King so maybe this will be the same.

Gonzo wrote: »
    really enjoying it so far, story is way better than Destiny 1 so far. Really liking the locations as well, graphics and atmosphere.

Dissapointing to hear that the end game isn't really there, let's hope it gets fleshed out with the expansions later in the year.

Destiny 1 didn't really have great end game either until The Taken King so maybe this will be the same.

I really hope so, im thinking of holding off until something endgame happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

gizmo wrote: »
    It was in the previous promotion, but when I got mine, Amazon UK were listed on the list of participating partners here. While they're not listed there now, they are listed on the US portal so I wouldn't be too sure. :(

Just ordered it from US website, it's the same price even with the taxes and duty

I'll probably pick this up, maybe next week. Playing Shadow of War and Fifa at the moment, so not much time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I really hope so, im thinking of holding off until something endgame happens.

The only way the endgame is really going to change is through the expansions. The first one should be towards the end of this year.

Didnt they announce seasons amongst other things the other day?

Didnt they announce seasons amongst other things the other day?

the first expansion will hit before Christmas and be called The Curse of Osiris. It'll supposedly add a patrol zone on Mercury, a social space, and a storyline centered around Osiris.

as for seasons https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/20/16512374/destiny-2-seasons-bungie-season-two-rewards-twitchcon

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Seems like hundreds of people are being banned from Destiny 2 for using third party software like Discord, Mumble, MSI Afterburner etc. Anything that contains an overlay really. Something to keep an eye on if some of you folks are running hardware monitoring tools and the like.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Guys, dont forget there is a Destiny forum on Boards ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1739

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Guys, dont forget there is a Destiny forum on Boards ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1739

*snip*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Full of filthy consolers though.

Eww.

Well since the PC version only got released and the console versions are around a few years I would expect there to be a larger console userbase than anything right now. And PC gamers are always welcome to the forum.

Moved this to the Destiny forum. Will be easier to find PC Destiny players here, and we can use this to arrange raids.
    CruelCoin wrote: »
    *snip*
    Mod note - while this is probably tongue in cheek, the whole Master Race/Console peasants is against the charter, so let's not go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Some PC Crucible Play from MrFruit. Looks great, plays fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,875 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I..... just can't look at PC gameplay.

It annoys me that PC has a better version of the game - that the gunplay is better.

Graphics, Textures, FoV, FPS etc - grand, I expect them to be better. But the actual shooting mechanics and gun handling? That is fecking irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I console myself with the fact I'd be destroyed in PvP anyway. It does look good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'm consoled by the fact I have very little desire to play Destiny 2 regardless of how pretty it looks or how snappy the gunplay is regardless.

Was watching Falthyron stream on Tuesday and it does look much better and plays nicer

• The hype is getting to me. I had no intention of getting it since it has a lot of game design elements which I'm not a huge fan of ... but new shiny game!

I'm the same. Was going to wait, but now i kind of want to buy it today. Even with the issues, i enjoyed D1 for a while, so i'm sure i'll get at least a few weeks worth of this.

Have loads of people really stopped playing already? Seems like there is a lot of negativity so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm the same. Was going to wait, but now i kind of want to buy it today. Even with the issues, i enjoyed D1 for a while, so i'm sure i'll get at least a few weeks worth of this.

Have loads of people really stopped playing already? Seems like there is a lot of negativity so far.

When people say it's more of an expansion than a sequel, they're kinda right. It's not a sequel to D1 as it was/is in Y3. There are some things in D1 that are missing in D2 in relation to QoL type things. There's no real incentive to grind out armour as it's all pretty much the same.

The raid, compared to all D1 raids, is a let down if I'm being honest. Every week in D1, I'd WANT to run the raid on each character. The armour and weapons where unique, they had raid specific perks. D2's Leviathan raid has none of that. No Raid specific perks on anything, and the Prestige raid gear is the same as the NM gear, only with a different colour. I've run this raid twice, finished it once and have no WANT in me to run it.

The whole token system, while it's a good idea in one sense, it's just poorly implemented. No longer can you buy gear from the respective vendors, you have to grind out tokens to get an Engram, and if your lucky, you'll get a piece of Vendor/Zone specific gear. Or you could get a generic weapon and shader. It seems like they've gone for a 'Everybody wins' feeling, straying too far into the casual, pick up play put down return in a week or 2 crowd, which has kinda bent the noses of those who pretty much kept D1 going for 3 Years. Those who put in in excess of 1,000 hours, or more in some really hardcore cases.

I'll still log in to run the weekly milestones, bar NF and Raid, and, run some crucible, which I'm enjoying, for the most part.

Advertisement