Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Social Welfare Mistake

Options
  • 01-05-2013 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

Hi. My cousin got a letter in the post today saying he owes the Social Welfare €10,000. I'm not sure what type of payment he was receiving, but he's employed part-time, so it's some sort of supplemental thing. The Social made a mistake, and admitted it in the letter. My cousin supplied all the documentation that was required, and only applied for what he thought he was entitled to. He doesn't seem to have done anything wrong. They want him to repay it at €15 per week. He said he doesn't mind paying it back, but it just seems crazy to me?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 AlejandroKa

ThirdMan wrote: »
    Hi. My cousin got a letter in the post today saying he owes the Social Welfare €10,000. I'm not sure what type of payment he was receiving, but he's employed part-time, so it's some sort of supplemental thing. The Social made a mistake, and admitted it in the letter. My cousin supplied all the documentation that was required, and only applied for what he thought he was entitled to. He doesn't seem to have done anything wrong. They want him to repay it at €15 per week. He said he doesn't mind paying it back, but it just seems crazy to me?

What seems crazy to me is that he will be paying it back for 13 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What seems crazy? The fact he owes €10k, through no fault of his, or the fact he has to pay it back and is been given very generous package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Del2005 wrote: »
    What seems crazy? The fact he owes €10k, through no fault of his, or the fact he has to pay it back and is been given very generous package.

No, the fact that the Department of Social Protection have made a significant error and don't feel the need take some of the responsibility. When you make a mistake should you not shoulder some of the blame? Please don't take a sanctimonious tone with me. I'm just trying to find out whether this is ordinary practice or not. I'm studying law myself at the moment. My cousin asked me in passing whether it was unusual and I'm simply trying to find out the answer.

I had to sign on for a year about four years ago before I started in college, and the person dealing with my claim seemed to do everything in their power to block my application. Some of my college friends have had similar experiences with respect to their Back To Education Allowance. I don't know why that is, but it is evidence to me that the official line isn't always the most accurate one.

I'm not looking for legal advice. I was just making a general inquiry into how unusual/ordinary this is.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Hi could play hardball and organise a meeting with SW to discuss a settlement and bring his legal rep with him (you!) and see what can be done

But first i would double check that he is not in the wrong as you only have his word for it and it was only mention "in passing" to you.

SW forms can be tricky to fill in and also some people have been known to massage the data provided usually to their benefit. Not saying that happened in this case.

Hi could... bring his legal rep with him (you!)

Thanks for the vote of confidence :P

But first i would double check that he is not in the wrong as you only have his word for it. SW forms can be tricky to fill in and also some people have been known to massage the data provided usually to their benefit. Not saying that happened in this case.

In the letter he received the department admitted to an administrative error on their end. I haven't seen the letter but there's no question of him lying.

To be honest I'm mainly finding out for myself. He asked me if I knew anything about it, but I guess he was just curious considering the shock he must have got. This guy is fairly straight down the middle, and if he owes the money then there's no question of him trying to duck out of it. He'd prefer to just pay it back. It just sounds nuts to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

No, the fact that the Department of Social Protection have made a significant error and don't feel the need take some of the responsibility. When you make a mistake should you not shoulder some of the blame? Please don't take a sanctimonious tone with me. I'm just trying to find out whether this is ordinary practice or not. I'm studying law myself at the moment. My cousin asked me in passing whether it was unusual and I'm simply trying to find out the answer.

I had to sign on for a year about four years ago before I started in college, and the person dealing with my claim seemed to do everything in their power to block my application. Some of my college friends have had similar experiences with respect to their Back To Education Allowance. I don't know why that is, but it is evidence to me that the official line isn't always the most accurate one.

I'm not looking for legal advice. I was just making a general inquiry into how unusual/ordinary this is.

Thanks.

This happen to me a few years ago, about €2500, i paid it back @€;10 per week till it was cleared

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Look if Social Welfare made a mistake they made a mistake. That doesn't mean that your cousin gets to keep the money, its not his money.

It does however mean that he can more or less dictate terms of repayment as long as he makes a reasonable effort, €10-€20 week would count as reasonable and they more or less can't charge interest on the money.

So check that they aren't charging any interest or penalties and give them the €15 a week they asked for.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Hope you are not expecting efficiency from a government department.

That doesn't mean that your cousin gets to keep the money, its not his money.

That's not what I was asking.

There seems to be a trend emerging amongst some of the posts here, and I think I know what it's about.

But thanks to those that offered friendly advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cookson

Did you ever get any explanation/justice since? There is a dept now that deals with staff error from what i can see on www

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

A client had this problem decades ago.
    Following advice from a TD a repayment schedule of very small amounts over a long period was agreed. Repayment was by adjustment of amounts due from SW. No interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Del2005 wrote: »

did he receive and spend the 10k, because it sounds like he may be at fault here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

6 year old thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

6 year old thread!

So OP's friend will be still paying for the next 7 years :)

Advertisement