Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sounds coming from the sky recently

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Some of the comments in this video are suggesting boring machines going through hard rock. So could be the cement plant suggestion

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tQS2L_WWp2k

Is there one near the burren that could account for the noises there too ? Maybe a quarry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

I live about 3 mile as the crow flies from a mine that closed about 5 years ago. You could often hear strange noises on a calm day or night similar to that when it was in production.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Acquired

It's possibly a sign from the heavens - known as the 'Rapture.' Look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Whatever it is, my son reckons it won't be cleaned with a 40 degree wash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,129 ✭✭✭highdef

Acquired wrote: »
    It's possibly a sign from the heavens - known as the 'Rapture.' Look it up.

Any chance you could give a brief explanation of this theory and why you think it's a possibility?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I can believe the ship noise scenario, but nearest port was about 4k from me and the sound was also heard inland near Slane, then in Dundalk too (30km?) North.

To me it did sound like it could be coming from Irish Cement direction funny enough but that's a good 10k away.

I was on the beach and the wind was offshore for once, so westerly winds could be carrying it some distance.

It's the exact same sound that was heard in Drogheda in 2016 (Vids on YouTube) but reports of it also being heard in France, Turkey and Brazil in the last week alone.

I am clueless.

Wonder if there's any association with general noise pollution being quite low at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

We are all doomed! The four horsemen are coming! I knew choosing the chicken over the mushroom soup would have consequences. Peter Griffin was right:(

It sounds like a crane moving against something to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

We are all doomed! The four horsemen are coming! I knew choosing the chicken over the mushroom soup would have consequences. Peter Griffin was right:(

It sounds like a crane moving against something to me.

Sounds like metal on metal / an out of tune Trumpet, but there was no such machinery within km's of me, there are also youtube videos of it in Dundalk that were recorded at the same time.

Guess I'll just try block it out of my memory as being a hoax / my imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I see it is not far from Drogheda Port, sometimes when drawing back the covers of the holds they can be quite loud echoing through the ship? Might also be the crane scraping off the bottom of the hold. By the way some bird song in the video above.

Sounds a lot like a boat scraping against a pier, I used to live a few miles from a port and would frequently hear similar sounds as car ferries were coming in to dock.

Cement factory seems like the most logical source around there but then it could be caused by some combination of corona and 5G for all we know :eek:

Advertisement