Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Bargains - Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭paska

Can you switch your amazon prime account to DE and get free shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

paska wrote: »
    Can you switch your amazon prime account to DE and get free shipping?

Doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You get a month free when you join, just change your email every month and you’re sorted for free Amazon de

There's no free shipping with Prime on amazon.de.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There's no free shipping with Prime on amazon.de.

Presumably none on amazon.fr either?

Zaph wrote: »

Correct, only Amazon UK for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Zaph wrote: »

I got free shipping with .fr earlier today
    First time ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Ordered a Samsung Smart watch on German site yesterday. Was given 2 x shipping options - 1 for 7.xx eur and one for 8.xx euro. I picked the more expensive one.

It was shipped today and I received AN Post tracking details. Is this a sign of things to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

I was hoping for amazon.ie at some stage, but it seems like we can live with amazon.de / amazon.fr / amazon.es instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

leex wrote: »
    Ordered a Samsung Smart watch on German site yesterday. Was given 2 x shipping options - 1 for 7.xx eur and one for 8.xx euro. I picked the more expensive one.

It was shipped today and I received AN Post tracking details. Is this a sign of things to come?

That's standard enough. DHL handle internal german post and can create An Post AWB straight away.

That's standard enough. DHL handle internal german post and can create An Post AWB straight away.

Sorry - I should have been clearer - I had "AN Post" tracking inside the Amazon account once it shipped. I'd expect if there was a DHL handover to An Post I'd see DHL on the AMazon tracking initially?

Was curious if they were processing shipments same as UK site.

• Advertisement

leex wrote: »
    Sorry - I should have been clearer - I had "AN Post" tracking inside the Amazon account once it shipped. I'd expect if there was a DHL handover to An Post I'd see DHL on the AMazon tracking initially?

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, Amazon tracking only states the courier used in the destination country. It doesn't for example say Royal Mail anywhere if you order something on Amazon UK.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, Amazon tracking only states the courier used in the destination country. It doesn't for example say Royal Mail anywhere if you order something on Amazon UK.

OK. How does this work in the UK for IE orders? Do Amazon themselves or Royal Mail/Other deliver pallets of orders destined for Ireland to An Post's distribution hub here?

Has Germany always worked the same or was the volume of their Irish business large enough for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

That's because RM don't handle it, Amzn deliver to An Post themselves.

ED E wrote: »

That was my understanding. I was wondering if Germany was now doing similar for IE orders.

Yes but then it should have Amazon Logistics in the tracking, which it doesn't. It only shows Amazon Logistics if they also are delivering it in Ireland rather than An Post.

There's only ever one courier that appears in Amazon tracking as far as I'm aware, even if multiple couriers are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

P&P has shot up esp with 3rd party sellers, anyone else notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

fryup wrote: »
    P&P has shot up esp with 3rd party sellers, anyone else notice?

Only use Fulfilled by Amazon or sold by Amazon here. Means there's no faffing with possible VAT charges either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

dulpit wrote: »
    Only use Fulfilled by Amazon or sold by Amazon here. Means there's no faffing with possible VAT charges either.

Problem is a lot of stuff which was purchasable previously, isn't now. So many toys I used to buy my 4 year old aren't available now.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

OmegaGene wrote: »
    That’s weird I signed up yesterday and got a garmin shipped for free when I signed up to prime
    Ah well maybe it was a one off

On their T&C they say free international shipping with prime is only for AT, BE, LU, NL, Switzerland and Liechtenstein

How did you manage to get it for free?

If this is the case I will sign up for prime on the .de asap.

Also recently amazon announced they are opening the .pl for the polish business.

in2dark wrote: »
    On their T&C they say free international shipping with prime is only for AT, BE, LU, NL, Switzerland and Liechtenstein

How did you manage to get it for free?

If this is the case I will sign up for prime on the .de asap.

Also recently amazon announced they are opening the .pl for the polish business.

3rd party sellers, including ones fulfilled by Amazon DE, can offer free delivery to Ireland with or without Prime which may be what happened here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yes but then it should have Amazon Logistics in the tracking, which it doesn't. It only shows Amazon Logistics if they also are delivering it in Ireland rather than An Post.

There's only ever one courier that appears in Amazon tracking as far as I'm aware, even if multiple couriers are used.

Nope.

Tracking doesn't show internal moves. If your order is an Post it tracks from Ballymount or Portlaoise. If your order is AMZL then it tracks from Baldonnel. If your order dispatches from Germany tracking starts there (rare now).

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

3rd party sellers, including ones fulfilled by Amazon DE, can offer free delivery to Ireland with or without Prime which may be what happened here.

Again as per TC fullfilled by amazon.de = sold by amazon.de

in2dark wrote: »
    Again as per TC fullfilled by amazon.de = sold by amazon.de

Where did I say that wasn't the case?

Edit: I may have misread, I think you meant dispatched direct from Amazon.de via Amazon EU Sarl. And yes you are correct, I should have just said 3rd party sellers.

Nope.

Tracking doesn't show internal moves.

I think I must be misunderstanding you.

What do you mean it doesn't show internal moves? And what do you mean the Amazon tracking starts starts in Irish places? The last order I had had the following pieces of tracking at the start:

Package arrived at an Amazon facility
    Saint Helens, Merseyside GB

Package departed an Amazon facility
    Saint Helens, Merseyside GB

Package arrived at an Amazon facility
    Irlam, Manchester

Package departed an Amazon facility
    Irlam, Manchester

In what way is that not an internal move? And for the above it doesn't say anywhere how it got from one facility to the other, be it Amazon Logistics etc.

So multiple couriers were involved (An Post + Amazon Logistics), but only An Post was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

For all logistics issues and queries, please go to the online buying forum and this thread on amazon https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058118872
    This thread is for chat about the bargains, prices, fluctuations, alternatives etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Sorry to ask what might be a frequent question, but I'll never learn otherwise :)

A lot of the bargains have a subscribe & save element that might be 10% more savings for example.
    If you buy at the S&S price, are you locked into that figure forever? Or will it just be 10% off the base price as it increases/decreases over time?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tefal 24cm pan is £8.33. I bought one last week.
    But for anyone looking for a bigger, 28cm once, they are €12 in woodies currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Sorry to ask what might be a frequent question, but I'll never learn otherwise :)

A lot of the bargains have a subscribe & save element that might be 10% more savings for example.
    If you buy at the S&S price, are you locked into that figure forever? Or will it just be 10% off the base price as it increases/decreases over time?

I normally use the S&S element primarily to get the initial saving. Once my order is dispatched I cancel the subscription. If I want the same product in 3 or 6 months time I normally just start the process of again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I normally use the S&S element primarily to get the initial saving. Once my order is dispatched I cancel the subscription. If I want the same product in 3 or 6 months time I normally just start the process of again.

Nice :D

Yeah, I figured people would be doing that alright.
    But, if I did happen to get a great price on something I actually did want re-occurring deliveries of, would I get the keep to keep the price, does anybody know? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Nice :D

Yeah, I figured people would be doing that alright.
    But, if I did happen to get a great price on something I actually did want re-occurring deliveries of, would I get the keep to keep the price, does anybody know? :)

No, the price fluctuates. If you have 5 S&S deliveries in the one order you get a 15% discount I think

Advertisement