Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for a visit to Dublin

• 29-10-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I have a rare opportunity to visit Dublin this Thursday and Friday morning. I plan to visit the Valuation Office, and the National Archives.

From the Valuation Office, there's a good few townlands for which I'd like to get copies of the Valuation books, showing the changes in ownership after G.V. (up to 1901, and beyond).

I may not be able to accomplish all that I want, so I'm trying to be as well-prepared as I can - with a spreadsheet of the {people; townland; dates} for each townland I want to research.

From the National Archives, I'm looking for info on 3 different RIC members who I'm interested in.

Any tips for me regarding either of these visits? What can I do to prepare in advance? What can I do on the day, in order to make as much progress as I can in limited time.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The Valuation Archives are just walk in and mostly self-service with most counties computerised now. The only slight issue there is that you might have to wait for a computer if you go at a busy time, which you can't really anticipate. You just print away merrily and then pay for the copies when you're done.

NAI - orders are not dealt with between 13 and 1330 so either get in before then or after. Check there's no closures there on those days. What do you need on the RIC? Lots of that stuff is online now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

You can just take pictures in the valuation office of the books or screen if your county is on a computer. Would save a lot of time instead of printing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can but I have found the images not great if you're trying to reproduce on paper later.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Its a long time since I was in the National Archives for RIC records. I do remember running out of cash for copying, so I'd recommend bringing along several €2 coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Go to the National Archives first, as some things are off-site and won't arrive till the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Earnest wrote: »
    Go to the National Archives first, as some things are off-site and won't arrive till the next day.

Material held off-site can be ordered in advance but it's not clear that the OP is looking for such material in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

I'm not sure what information on the RIC you are looking for. The amount of information is limited.

The service books are all on Findmypast.ie; these books record each recruit in order of enlistment so each is numbered sequentially not alphabetically. The microfilms of the service books are available in the Library in Pearse street; you can search for your ancestor's service number in Jim Herlihy's book which includes a complete alphabetical list of RIC men; hopefully it's not a common name like Murphy....

When you have the service number you can request the relevant microfilm - the information is limited to service number, name, age on enlistment, religion, county of birth, county of wife & date of marriage [if married], occupation on enlistment, name of person who recommended the recruit, dates of posting to various counties, list of misdemeanours & rewards [just dates and ref numbers], date of resignation/dismissal/pension... sometimes other brief notes are included.

There's a Facebook page for RIC descendants as well as a website at http://www.royalirishconstabulary.com/index2012.html

Advertisement