Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

srmf5 wrote: »
    .......... Especially since there's a Knott on my mum's side with the surname supposed to be Scandinavian in origin.

I've done some research on a Nott family mid 1700's to mid 1800's and the two Irish clusters I found were in Kerry, linked to the coastguard and Royal Navy. They originated in Devon/Cornwall. There also was a Capt. Knott/Nott RN in Wicklow mid-1800's.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

I've done some research on a Nott family mid 1700's to mid 1800's and the two Irish clusters I found were in Kerry, linked to the coastguard and Royal Navy. They originated in Devon/Cornwall. There also was a Capt. Knott/Nott RN in Wicklow mid-1800's.

My Knotts are supposed to be from around the Boyle area in Roscommon from oral tradition. There's a good few of them around Boyle in Roscommon and Sligo. I'm not sure which family I'm connected to since my ancestor was born about 1801 and there aren't any records. I think that it could be the Knotts from Tournagee but there's nothing to verify it.

They're Roman Catholic which makes me think they've been in Ireland for a long time if they originated from somewhere else. Interestingly enough my ancestor's maiden name and married surname were recorded on her gravestone which makes me wonder does the family have some significance since it wasn't the usual thing to do back then.

Reading up on the surname, it's meant to be English in origin but the family were supposed to descended from King Canute from Denmark but he was around over 1000 years ago so it's pretty irrelevant anyway. Going that far back, it's the same as saying the 1% Scandinavian is from the Vikings. Thanks for giving me a specific area from England where they may have come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Just got my results earlier. Kind of as I expected. Irish with a sprinkling on British and Viking. ( You'll grab that 1% viking from my cold dead hands!)

Europe 99%

Ireland 94%
    Great Britain 2%
    Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
    Iberian Peninsula 1%
    Scandinavia 1%

West Asia < 1%
    Low Confidence Region
    Caucasus

Genetic Communities

Kerry
    Ulster Irish

Ancestry has given me 84 4th cousins and 1 possible ancestor link

How long does Gedmatch take to complete?

The Scandinavian might also come from recent (circa 500 years) British ancestry, after all many regions in england have elevated levels of "Scandinavian" see blog post here:

https://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2015/06/23/ancestrydna-the-viking-in-the-room/

ergo an ancestor at some stage in last 500 years from say NE Midlands might be source of the Scandinavian as oppose to a Viking Dub! ;)

I'm just going to mention my experience with DNA matches. I have 157 4th cousins or closer. I have one close family who I know, four 2nd cousins and I only know one, six third cousins and I know none and the rest are fourth cousins. I know the connection to a few while with others there's a common surname and location but the other person hasn't gone back far enough in the tree to determine the connection or the records aren't there to go back that far. However, for the vast majority there's no tree and if I've emailed them, they've never gotten back to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've change the name of this thread to reflect all DNA companies.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

I’m planning on getting an autosomal test done and I’m trying to decide on one of the big three companies: Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA or 23andMe. I know you can transfer both your Ancestry and 23andMe results into FamilyTreeDNA’s database but can you transfer results from FamilyTreeDNA into Ancestry and 23andMe? Also, can Ancestry’s results and 23andMe’s results transfer into each other’s databases?

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Alan259 wrote: »
    can you transfer results from FamilyTreeDNA into Ancestry and 23andMe? Also, can Ancestry’s results and 23andMe’s results transfer into each other’s databases?

No to both questions. FTDNA is currently the only one that accepts transfers from the other companies.

RGM wrote: »
    No to both questions. FTDNA is currently the only one that accepts transfers from the other companies.

Thanks. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can always use GEDMatch to compare against people from all companies who have uploaded to it.

spurious wrote: »
    You can always use GEDMatch to compare against people from all companies who have uploaded to it.

I was afraid that I would have cousins who would test with the companies that I won't test with and then my cousins wouldn't upload the results to GEDMatch. :D But I suppose the serious genealogists who would reply to messages would have their results uploaded to GEDMatch. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Idle Passerby

I've just got results from Living DNA. Apparently the download function isn't up and running with them yet so is there any way I can transfer my results to GEDmatch?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I just got my results this morning.
    Ireland 58%
    Great Britain 24%
    Italy/Greece 10%

Europe West 4%
    European Jewish 2%
    Iberian Peninsula 1%
    Europe East 1%

As an adopted person I was particularly eager to get my results as I know next to nothing of my paternal line.
    Given that my four great grandparents on my mothers side are Irish, is it possible to infer that the 24% Great Britain is on my fathers side?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Hermy wrote: »

As an adopted person I was particularly eager to get my results as I know next to nothing of my paternal line.
    Given that my four great grandparents on my mothers side are Irish, is it possible to infer that the 24% Great Britain is on my fathers side?

It's a bit difficult to really say for sure, if you can test your mother, that's if you have access to her. Even anybody who wasn't adopted could never say 100% where either genes came from without testing a parent or at least a relative on that side.

Good luck with your discoveries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, if possible get your mother tested. That would allow you to look for matches you do not share with her, which in theory should be from your father's side.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Testing my birth mother isn't possible unfortunately but I have a half sibling who may be interested in being tested.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hermy wrote: »

Depends on where the ancestors of the great grandparents came from. They could have come over with Strongbow or Oliver Cromwell or just the Holyhead ferry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Decided I would like to see if I have any Viking or other interesting heritage

Is it ancestry.co.uk and the €95 kit I go for?

I would shop around and wait until they all start giving offers.

FamilyTreeDNA Family Finder, which also gives an 'Origins' result, is 89 USD at the moment, but I got it for my housemate for 59USD a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Decided I would like to see if I have any Viking or other interesting heritage

Is it ancestry.co.uk and the €95 kit I go for?

Anyone with Irish heritage certainly has Viking heritage regardless of what a DNA test says. Just sayin. :)

They all do offers periodically. There's also a huge backlog with Ancestry at the moment.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

RGM wrote:
    Anyone with Irish heritage certainly has Viking heritage regardless of what a DNA test says. Just sayin.

Well that's obvisouly not true.

Only about 1.4 percent of men from Ireland are thought to have Viking connections.

Mod note: Let's not get into an argument about ethnicity metrics please. As the DNA databases grow, these results are going to keep changing. I've seen my mother's change a couple of times in the 3 years since she was tested. They don't mean a huge amount but are a nice entertainment factor.

DNA testing is just one extra tool in the genealogist's belt. We've come a long way in the last 10 years and it's interesting to imagine what level we'll be at in another decade.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Well that's obvisouly not true.

Only about 1.4 percent of men from Ireland are thought to have Viking connections.

That estimate is based on Y DNA testing, not autosomnal.

Ipso wrote:
    That estimate is based on Y DNA testing, not autosomnal.

Certainly doesn't mean "Every Irish person has Viking Ancestry"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Given they founded/settled most major cities it's a fairly reasonable assumption. Now the amount most modern people carry is most likely negligible and hard to detect given the shared ancestry between both modern populations.

Ipso wrote:
    Given they founded/settled most major cities it's a fairly reasonable assumption. Now the amount most modern people carry is most likely negligible and hard to detect given the shared ancestry between both modern populations.

My Surname is Russell, according to Google derived from Rousell, Prominent Norman Surname.

I asked nicely: please don't get into the nitty gritty of whether or not we have Viking ancestry!

Let's stick to the relevance for genealogy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I just got my cousin's results back: 34 days from kit activation to results. They're speeding up.
    Interestingly, he's in no genetic communities as yet.

No sign of an immediate family match - am hoping to find his older half-sister. It's a long shot but worth trying. I'll be transferring the results to gedmatch asap. Several family members are already in FTDNA so if she was in there, we'd match her too.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I've just got results from Living DNA. Apparently the download function isn't up and running with them yet so is there any way I can transfer my results to GEDmatch?

No you won't be able to transfer them to Gedmatch yet but it's meant to be introduced soon. Are all your family from Ireland? I'd be interested to know what sort of results you got.

I got 100% Europe
    36.4% Southwest Scotland and Northern Ireland
    19.6% Ireland
    6.7% Southeast England
    5.3% Northwest Scotland
    5% South Central England
    4.4% South Wales
    4.1% Cornwall
    3% North Wales
    2.8% Devon
    2.1% South England
    2.1% Orkney
    6.7% Great Britain and Ireland (unassigned)
    1.8% Europe (unassigned)

Obviously these aren't accurate since the Irish update hasn't been introduced yet but I'd be interested to know your results for comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

I got mine done on MyHeritage, but I think their algorithms might skew the DNA data with data you've entered in the family tree. Here's what I got:
    Europe 98.7%
    ....North and West Europe 95.1%
    ........Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 95.1%
    ....East Europe 3.6%
    ........East European 3.6%
    Asia 1.3%
    ....West Asia 1.3%
    ........West Asian 1.3%

The Eastern European is a bit confusing, as I've no discernible non-Irish ancestors. However, when displaying their map of the DNA results, it shows an 'incident' in Poland which, when clicked on, says is the death of my father - who definitely didn't die in Poland. I've updated his "place of death" to include "Ireland" - maybe they rerun the data periodically. I don't know why it seems to think so. MyHeritage is where I store all my main family tree information. Going into the general (ie non-DNA) information, under "Family Statistics"\Places, it lists "Places of residence" as being 62% Ireland and 31% Poland. I don't even know anyone in my family who set foot in Poland!

MyHeritage must use this information as part of their algorithm to decide regions. I'll get in touch with them to query it.

Here's the DNA map:
    DNA%20map_zpsszqdeqra.png

Here are the "Residence" places. Not sure how I can find out which people it's referring to, so I can be more specific in the information, I'll need to check.
    MyHeritage%20Places%20of%20residence_zpsierqgwia.png

Advertisement