Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Book Recommendation

• 02-11-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm looking for a book or material which tells about protestants in Southern Ireland from just before 1916 until a few years after (maybe until about 1925). I think it would be interesting to see how they felt about what was going on at that time. I haven't found anything until now.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I only know of this one but it concentrates on Sligo:

http://originalwriting.ie/bookshop/non-fiction/local-history/the-protestant-community-in-sligo-1914-49/

Hope this helps! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I highly recommend Crisis and Decline; the fate of the southern Unionists by R.B. Mc Dowell. The last three chapters should fill your niche.

Mc Dowell was a TCD Belfast Presbyterian and an interesting figure in his own right, he wrote widely on the 18th century and his book on Irish Public Opinion 1750-1800 is one of the most interesting books of its type you'll find anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Johannes Scotus

Hey,

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into those two.

I'm surprised how little is to be found about this.

I'll check out the local uni and historical society to see if they can help me as well.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Crisis and Decline; the fate of the southern Unionists looks like its out of print. It looks really interesting.

I did some searching on amazon and came across these ( i know nothing about them though):

When God Took Sides: Religion and Identity in Irish History: Unfinished History by Marianne Elliott

Defenders of the Union: A Survey of British and Irish Unionism Since 1801 by D.George Boyce and Alan O'Day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Hey,

Thanks for the replies, I'll look into those two.

I'm surprised how little is to be found about this.

I'll check out the local uni and historical society to see if they can help me as well.

Thanks again

You should be able to get crisis and decline out of an academic library, unfortunately most if not all of his books are out of print. It really is a must read though, considering your interests. Your first port of call.

I haven't read Marianne Elliot's book, it looks pretty good and has been resting on my shelf for almost a year :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Johannes Scotus

Great, thanks very much, I'll look into those, should get me started.

appreciated

Advertisement