Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Byrne Children

Options
  • 17-06-2015 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, wonder if you can help? I am trying to trace an Irish family on the UK 1841 census living at 175 Bostock St, Liverpool
    all of them were born in Ireland.
    James Byrne 45 Merchant b 1796
    Elizabeth Byrne 40 b 1801
    George Byrne 20 b 1821
    David Byrne 20 b 1821
    Margret Byrne 18 b 1826
    James Byrne 15 b 1826
    John Byrne 15 b 1826
    Aiden Byrne 13 b 1828

I can not find any of the children after this date (or before) though i believe the parents are on the UK 1851 census stating that they were born in Wexford. I am fairly sure there was another child called Edward b 1823 who claims to have been born in liverpool but i think this was a lie & he would of been born in Ireland along with his siblings.
    i've looked but found it most difficult, is it possible to see if they can be found in Irish records? births, baptisms ect.

Hope you can help. :0)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

you would usually need to know where in Co. Wexford this family came from to start a meaningful search - e.g. which town or parish, especially with such early dates and common surname.

If you could find any children born in England then maybe you could establish Elizabeth's maiden surname, which may help your search

p.s. ages on the 1841 census are usually rounded to a multiple of 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Alders

shanew wrote: »
    you would usually need to know where in Co. Wexford this family came from to start a meaningful search - e.g. which town or parish, especially with such early dates and common surname.

If you could find any children born in England then maybe you could establish Elizabeth's maiden surname, which may help your search

p.s. ages on the 1841 census are usually rounded to a multiple of 5 years

Thank you, i have not been able to pick the family up after this point, the parents were living at an address in 1851 that my relative with the same surname listed as being his home base when not at sea, so whilst i can't say for definate that they are related chances are they are. on his Merchant Navy papers he states he was born in Liverpool but i think he lied for better job prospects, he also named his only child Aden which again makes me think they were related. The only information i have is gleaned from the 41/51 census which alas is not a lot. I can't even find the children on the 1851 census. That's why i wondered if there were any Irish records that could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

There are parish records for some Co. Wexford parishes on RootsIreland (pay-website), that might be worth checking out - but I think the common surname, lack of maiden name and rounded ages will make searches for possible baptisms for the children difficult.

Assuming they were Catholic you could try the registers films due online in a few weeks, but without knowing a parish, it could be a very time consuming search.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Don't discount the possibility that they went to the US from Liverpool, especially if you can't find anything on them after 1851.

It was common for families who could not initially afford the passenger fare to work in Liverpool for a while to save up the money.

EDIT: Sorry, you wrote you might have the parents in 1851. Maybe some off the children crossed the Atlantic.

Advertisement