Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Church of Ireland Parish Registers for Castlekirke, Co Galway

• 04-06-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I found this document online -
    http://ireland.anglican.org/cmsfiles/pdf/AboutUs/library/registers/ParishRegistersTable.pdf. It's a table of Church of Ireland Parish Registers - what exists, dates covered and where to find them.

I'm interested in seeing if any registers exist for Castlekirke, Co Galway. The key says that yellow highlighting indicates that the records are held by the Representative Church Body (RCB) Library, Churchtown, Dublin 14. But underlined text is supposed to indicate that the registers were in PROI in 1922 and were destroyed. Since Castlekirke has both an underline and yellow highlighting, not sure what it means. Anyone have experience of looking for these registers?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I see what you mean. It may be a typo.

Why don't you give them a ring?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I see what you mean. It may be a typo.

Why don't you give them a ring?
    Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The older lists of records held by the RCB (2010) includes Castlekirke, Co. Galway - and shows bapt. 1879-1825, marr. 1866 - 1905 and death/burials 1879 - 1963.

Maybe the combined highlight/underline indicates partial records survive, with some available in the RCBL

shanew wrote: »
    The older lists of records held by the RCB (2010) includes Castlekirke, Co. Galway - and shows bapt. 1879-1825, marr. 1866 - 1905 and death/burials 1879 - 1963.

Maybe the combined highlight/underline indicates partial records survive, with some available in the RCBL
    Shanew, I just rang the RCB Library and they confirmed that they had those date ranges. They woman I spoke to didn't say why the underline was used and said that looking at the index she couldn't tell if the records were complete for those years or partial.

I also asked her about Cong as that one had the yellow highlighting indicating they have the records and also an M indicating microfiche. She said they have the actual registers for those and confirmed the date ranges in the online list. Maybe the M indicates that they are also available at NAI on microfiche.

given the dates they have, all after the start of civil records, I'd say it's likely there were earlier records that were sent to the PRO and lost.

• Advertisement

A newspaper report says that the foundation stone was laid for Castlekirke in 1864, so I'm hoping that some of the earlier records might exist in the Cong registers.

leck wrote: »
    A newspaper report says that the foundation stone was laid for Castlekirke in 1864, so I'm hoping that some of the earlier records might exist in the Cong registers.

I was just looking into where the parish was - maybe it was a new parish established out of part of Cong ?

I have not found it in earlier listings .. it's not the name of a civil parish that I can find.

shanew wrote: »
    I was just looking into where the parish was - maybe it was a new parish established out of part of Cong ?

I have not found it in earlier listings .. it's not the name of a civil parish that I can find.
    Castlekirke (or Castlekerke) was the first of the mission stations established by the Rev Alexander Dallas in the West of Ireland. It was named "Castlekerke" after the nearby castle on Lough Corrib. It was situated on the Hill of Doon, in the townland of Drumsnauv. At that time Drumsnauv was owned by Capt John Brice Blake (one of the Blakes of Menlo Castle), who lived in Doon Lodge. His wife started a school in their house about 1845. Later a separate schoolhouse was built and still later a church.

More about it here - http://www.oughterardheritage.org/content/topics/the-great-famine/dallass-irish-church-mission

I found the church by searching the census for the minister - OSI map link to Church at Drumsnav townland, and Castlekirk Castle on an Island to the west on the 1st edition OSI maps.

So certainly looks as though earlier records would be under Cong parish.

Advertisement