Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lysters of Abbey Street, Dublin in the 1850s

Options
  • 11-01-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

I've been given a new lead on what has up to now been a hard to track branch of the family, and I'm wondering if anyone has any good sources covering the area which might help me track back a little further.

What we know is the on 29 August 1869 Nicholas Monks & Maria (Mary) Lester were married in Pro Cathedral, Dublin. Marias parents were listed as Johannis (John) & Margaritae (Margaret) Lyster and her address was 23 Upper Abbey Street.

I'm only starting on the tracing on this end and so far I have -
    John Lyster 113 Upper Abbey Street in 1850 [1] and this potential link [2]- Nov.3,1772 Bridget Beaghan of Liffey St., Dublin, widow. To be buried in St. James Churchyard, Dublin. William Lyster of Abby St., Co of city of Dublin, exor. Witnesses. Colley Grattan, Robert Sandys, gent. Thos Bracken, clerk to William Lyster of Dublin, gent. Proved 14 June,1774. Registry of Deeds, Dublin. Ref 305.99.200907.

Does anyone know whether Upper Abbey Street got renumbered in the 1850-1870 period ? It's possible that this was a relation, or that they moved from 113 to 23, but right now I've no way of checking.

Any ideas ?

z

[1] http://www.libraryireland.com/DublinDirectory1850/l.php
    [2] http://newryabbey.com/IRISH_BAGNALS.html - no idea where the link to the Newry Abbey website comes in

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

zagmund wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether Upper Abbey Street got renumbered in the 1850-1870 period ? It's possible that this was a relation, or that they moved from 113 to 23, but right now I've no way of checking.

I dont think the street numbers in Abbey street were altered during that time. As far as I remember there at least two separate sequences of numbers - lower Abbey street had one set, and middle and upper Abbey street shared a sequence.
    I'll double check and get back to you.

p.s. I think number 113 might be Middle Abbey Street

Shane

I see no changes in the numbering system on Middle/Upper Abbey street between 1850 and the mid 1870s.

Upper and Middle Abbey shared in one range of numbers, with 1 to 40, and 115 to 151 assigned to Upper, and 41 to 114 used for Middle Abbey Street.

Number 23 was on the south of Upper Abbey Street, just east of the Jervis Street junction. 113 Middle Abbey Street was on the north of the street and one building east of the Liffey Street junction.

Thom's 1850 show one of the names you've mentioned - John Lyster, carver and gilder at 113 Middle Abbey street. No. 23 Upr Abbey street is listed as Charles Hoey, matting manuf. and John Ward provision dealer.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Thanks for that Shane. If you have a Thoms for ~1869 can you see if it was the same (carver & gilder) John Lyster living at #23 please ?

Thanks again,

z

23 Upr Abbey Street - Charles Hoey, matting manuf.

113 Mid Abbey Street - S.J. Slim, provision dealer

I dont see a likely match for this John Lyster in the alphabetical index for 1868. There are just two John Lyster entries - both merchants, with addresses in Rathgar.

no sign of any Lyster entries on Abbey street or in the trades listing as carver/guilders in 1863 either...

Shane

1857 :

113 Mid Abbey Street - Ml. O'Malley, carver & gilder

1852 :

112 & 113 Mid Abbey Street - John Elwood, furniture warerooms

I cant find any reference to John Lyster in 1852 listings - alphabetical or by trade

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement