Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little bit of help again...

Options
  • 23-12-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I'm working on my husbands side of the family again....

Trying to figure out if I've the right people so i'll list what I have

My husbands great grandmother was a Mary Sullivan, confirmed with his grandmothers birth cert..

Mary Sullivan was married on the 9th March 1911, aged 20 years according to her marriage cert..
    Mary's Father was listed as Timothy Sullivan on her marriage cert
    Her address at the time of getting married is 10 Tower Street, Cork City...

So this is who I presume is Mary Sullivan and her family on the 1911 census
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__5_Urban__part_of_/Tower_Street/400490/
    But the 2 things that bother me is that firstly the house numbers don't match but I think I've read before that they don't necessarily match up in terms of census and actual house numbers, but also she would have been married at the time of the 1911 Census but doesn't show up under her Married name of Baldwin which is what leads me to think this is her but she's listed as Single on the census...

So just wondering if anyone can see some other possiblities for Mary Sullivan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Forgot to add that Mary Sullivan married a Michael Baldwin of 12 Rock Cottages Cork and this is him I'm almost certain of, for the census 1911 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__4_Urban__part_of_/Rock_Terrace/391033/
    But again theres the issue of Rock Cottages on marriage cert versus Rock Terrace on the census

Again Michael Baldwins father is listed as James Baldwin on his marriage cert..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the house numbers dont necessarily correlate between the two census returns, and also may not match up with 'postal' address. You can sometimes match the details between the two returns up by checking the building return (Form B1) - i.e. check the class of house, number of windows in the front, number of outhouses etc. Also cross matching a list of the occupant on the two returns can help.

Unfortunately with a common name like Mary Sullivan you could find a few possible matches. Do the occupations match up ?

Shane

As far as I remember I've went through all possible Mary Sullivans to get a match of Timothy Sullivan for her father, but I must do it again and take note of it this time...

on the marriage cert her father's occupation is Labourer, and on the census it's Dock Labourer so not very much to go on with that....

I'm not sure how significant Mary's age being down as 20 on the marriage cert if it was accurate or just a rough guess...

I do plan on going to the church she got married in to see if theres also a baptism record attached to her marriage record that might shed some light on it all...

I suppose what makes me kind of sure without proof is that they got married a month before the census so I'm assuming it is her in the census link, but I'm still baffled as to why she would along with her husband are both down as single even though they were married and the address for her husband is the address that is known to the family as where they came from, my Father in law remembers going there to visit grand parents...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Is it possible that they hadn't admitted publically that they were married yet? Women couldn't work after marriage then so they may have pretended not to be for a while...or one family may have been against the marriage...

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yeah maybe thats what it is...

I've just compared the list of families for that street with buildings list of people

This is who lived on the street http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__5_Urban__part_of_/Tower_Street/

And this is the building return http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001893646/

None of the houses apart from house 14 have anymore than one family listed on this....

• Advertisement

I suppose being 1911 anything is possible really, a trip to the church where they got married should help, I know with my own GM's marriage baptism record it had her marriage date on it too, so I should be able to get a DOB if they have the same kind of records...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If the church is Cork city, the records may well be on irishgenealogy.ie

Genealogy Forum Mod

The church is St Finabarrs south Parish, but the records only go up to the 1880's, Mary was born around 1891 or so....

Advertisement