Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2019, 12:18   #91
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheal View Post
It's for sure a technology which is mature enough that it should be deployed, even if in trial batches. Just note that it's not going to perfect policing.
I think this is where the ICCL have come off as a bit silly.

Their reasoning boils down to the fact that it's not perfect and it's not proven, therefore it shouldn't be used until it is.

A representative from the ICCL was giving interviews yesterday and he came off as a little more reasonable than the press release. But as far as I can tell their big bugbear is mass surveillance. Which is a good thing to oppose. But they're completely blinkered by the issue so will oppose anything which might increase the number of cameras in public places. If they took more of a "maybe, if" stance rather than "no no no", they might get better traction.

A member from the GRA pointed out that body cams would be of massive benefit in domestic violence cases where a victim is often reluctant to give a statement after the fact. Body cam footage would give the Gardai the ability to pursue prosecutions without the victim's cooperation.

The ICCL guy had no real respone for that except to go on about data and unproven, etc again.
Advertisement
01-11-2019, 12:50   #92
Kermit.de.frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overheal View Post
It's for sure a technology which is mature enough that it should be deployed, even if in trial batches. Just note that it's not going to perfect policing.
Never said it would.

All i'm saying is that if you are a garda and know your interactions with victims and criminals is being recorded I think you would be more inclined to be as professional as possible.

I'm talking about the minority of gardai. I know most gardai are very professional in case anyone gets wrong end of the stick.

I can only see it as helpful to improving professionalism in the force.
Thanks from:
01-11-2019, 13:59   #93
Matt Barrett

My pal was pulled off the street, (long time ago) and brought to a Garda station where a couple of Garda punched him and one stood on his back after he fell. They let him go about 7 the following morning. They mistook him for some other lad walking the same street who had said something smart to a patrolling officer. He learned this as he was being set upon, "Think you're funny now?". Initially he'd no idea why they took him. He wasn't charged with anything.
Garda are people no better or worse than the rest of us. This was obviously a gang of lads looking to give someone a hiding. Sadly we get that in society.
Thanks from:
01-11-2019, 15:17   #94
Boggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
A member from the GRA pointed out that body cams would be of massive benefit in domestic violence cases where a victim is often reluctant to give a statement after the fact. Body cam footage would give the Gardai the ability to pursue prosecutions without the victim's cooperation.
I very much doubt they would be allowed film a victim of abuse.
Thanks from:
01-11-2019, 15:21   #95
_Kaiser_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barrett View Post
My pal was pulled off the street, (long time ago) and brought to a Garda station where a couple of Garda punched him and one stood on his back after he fell. They let him go about 7 the following morning. They mistook him for some other lad walking the same street who had said something smart to a patrolling officer. He learned this as he was being set upon, "Think you're funny now?". Initially he'd no idea why they took him. He wasn't charged with anything.
Garda are people no better or worse than the rest of us. This was obviously a gang of lads looking to give someone a hiding. Sadly we get that in society.
The difference is that the Gardai know there's virtually no comeback on them as their "word" is taken as gospel as a matter of routine (which is nonsense as a general rule. "I saw him do it" isn't proof - which cameras will help address actually)

But they only do things like that to soft or innocent targets like your mate. Apparently they were seen rapidly exiting an estate in Finglas last night after some fella chased the car with a lit firework (heard this on R1 earlier).
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion