Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aisling hotel former name

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Ashling Hotel is on Parkgate Street - here's a list of occupants in Parkgate St from the 1862 Dublin Directory:
    Parkgate-street.
    From Barrack-street to Conyngham-road.
    P. St. Paul.�Arran-quay W.�City.
    A PILLAR LETTER-BOX near the Upper
    Cavalry-gate.
    1, 2, and 5 Fitzherbert, Josh. & Wm.
    brewers & vintners, 30l., 15l., 15l.
    3 O'Dowde, Thos. prov. dealer, 16l.
    4 M'Grath, Margaret, prov. deal. 16l.
    6 to 8 Murphy, Matthew, veterinary
    surgeon, and horse repository, and
    livery stables, 36l.
    9 and 10 Kean, Mrs. Jane, 15l., 24l.
    ........here Hughes'-court intersects........
    11 Hanbidge, Hy. board & lodg. 5l.10s.
    12 & 13 Maginnis, Julia, livery stables,
    and tavern keeper, 25l., 19l.
    14 to 22 Fishbourne, Joseph, yard and
    stables
    23 Vacant, 21l.
    24 & 25 Lea, John, livery stables and
    vintner, 20l.
    26 King's bridge inn, John Lea, vintner,
    prov. dealer, & livery stables, 12l.
    27 M'Evatt, S. boot and shoemk. 18l.
    28 Fox, Jas. vintner, hotel and tavern
    keeper, 25l.
    29 M'Grane, Wm. horse repository, 40l.
    30 Nugent, James, esq. 16l.
    31 Lockett, John, boot & shoe mkr. 16l.
    32 Greer, Sarah, confectioner, 18l.
    33 M'Donald, John, engineering sur-
    veyor and draughtsman, 17l.
    34 Rooney, Thomas, car maker, 19l.
    35 Whelan, Mr. Patrick 18l.
    36 Stewart, Mary Anne, lodging-ho. 30l.
    37 Miller, John Orr, distiller, 26l.
    38 Corbett, John, constabulary, 26l.
    39 Darley, Edward, esq. 28l.
    here Conyngham-road and Circular-road
    intersect.
    40 Walsh, John, lodging house, 18l.
    41 Branagan, Geo. smith,& farrier, 25l.
    Phoenix iron works�Wm. Robinson,
    engineer & ironfounder, 135l.
    ...here King's Bridge crosses the Liffey.

Ross's Hotel

There's an ad in the Kerryman 5 Dec 1964, p20, which advertises 'John meets all trains at Kingsbridge....he represents the Ashling Hotel [formerly Ross's] which has been completely modernised and is under the supervision of Mr and Mrs Ben Naughton.

I found a reference to Rosse's Hotel, Parkgate St, in the Irish Independent in 1903.

In 1901 Census Mr Joseph Ross age 55 was a hotel proprietor at 12 Parkgate Street; in 1911 his son Joseph Shirley Ross had taken over as manager.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Ben Naughton was a very successful manager of Renvyle House Hotel before buying that hotel and renaming it Aisling

Ludwig Wittgenstein stayed there when it was Ross's hotel & there's a plaque see http://comeheretome.com/2013/05/22/ludwig-wittgensteins-dublin-memorials/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Richard James Fallon

nuac wrote: »
    Ben Naughton was a very successful manager of Renvyle House Hotel before buying that hotel and renaming it Aisling
    I was Ben Naughtons very first trainee manager in the Ashling hotel from 19564 to 1967 , when he sent me to France for further training.
    he was a true , professional hotel manager who gave all he had to his profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I liked the Ashling before it was transformed into a Celtic Tiger hotel.
    It had a nice grill and bar and friendly staff. Near Heuston, it was a great hotel for Munster and Connacht people.
    I have many pleasant memories of it. But somebody was determined not to leave well enough alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I was Ben Naughtons very first trainee manager in the Ashling hotel from 19564 to 1967 , when he sent me to France for further training.
    he was a true , professional hotel manager who gave all he had to his profession.

Where was Ben Naughton himself from do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Richard James Fallon

He was from Roscommon , and was manager of the old Prince of Wales hotel in Athlone before buying the old Rosses. a very well known and respected man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

He was from Roscommon , and was manager of the old Prince of Wales hotel in Athlone before buying the old Rosses. a very well known and respected man.

Indeed. Met him in Renvyle. Stayed a number of times in Ashling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 richard john fallon

i have been trying to find pics of the old Ashling hotel , tried everywhere. anyone out there got any ideas??

Advertisement