Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Retailers that ship from UK

Options
  • 04-01-2021 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭

Can't find the answer anywhere but what's the story with NEXT, H&M, M&S etc? Signs in their stores to buy online, you go to their irish website but there's nothing about VAT etc. Their return address is in Ireland so surely those with a retail presence here will have their brexit VAT affairs in order for online ordering?
    I rang NEXT yesterday and the UK lady who answered didn't have a bulls notion about anything to do with UK-EU trade. She basically didn't understand that me in ROI was not an internal UK shipment.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TheDriver wrote: »
    Can't find the answer anywhere but what's the story with NEXT, H&M, M&S etc? Signs in their stores to buy online, you go to their irish website but there's nothing about VAT etc. Their return address is in Ireland so surely those with a retail presence here will have their brexit VAT affairs in order for online ordering?
    I rang NEXT yesterday and the UK lady who answered didn't have a bulls notion about anything to do with UK-EU trade. She basically didn't understand that me in ROI was not an internal UK shipment.

Return address means nothing. I would imagine they don't know themselves what they're doing. I wouldn't see them finding out in the short term either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭VG31

The likes of M&S and Next are definitely VAT registered here so it should make no difference where they are shipped from. Anywhere that has a dedicated Irish website is 99% likely to be VAT registered here. Anywhere with a physical presence you can be 100% certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Update- Next stuff arrived today, shipped from their Crumlin distribution centre according to the DPD label.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭ffocused

M&S are shipping from UK via NI for furniture anyway as that is what they told me when confirming a delivery slot.
    I ordered some furniture last week and won’t know about any import/customs fees until it’s delivered at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

MOD - <snip> cut it out please.

The tabloids told them to vote for it, so they did that.

Return address can be misleading as there are companies that specialize in processing returns for retailers (lifestyle = dsv)

But generally, most larger stores will have systems in place for seamless transactions

• Advertisement

I ordered some stuff from screwfix compleltly forget they ship from UK.
    I mailed them and this was the reply.

"Orders made from our Screwfix Ireland website will not have any export tax attached to them.
    I hope this helps,
    If you have any further inquiries please do not hesitate to get back in contact with us."

So no export tax.......I'm fully expecting to get rode on the order.
    I'll update when I do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

H&m are now dispatching from The Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

"Orders made from our Screwfix Ireland website will not have any export tax attached to them.
    I hope this helps,
    If you have any further inquiries please do not hesitate to get back in contact with us."

I'll update when I do

But looking at their checkout page they charge Irish 21% VAT. So the same principle as Amazon (not sure about the 150 limit). Perhaps the problem may be more that they don't stick a customs label on the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Microsoft are shipping from the UK and UPS looking for cash on delivery.
    https://twitter.com/Noelle_OC/status/1347158625278636034

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

Hi All,

maybe an interesting situation....

have ordered an item from Screwfix.ie website - total value inc. VAT €52.95. Have now received an email from Parcelforce with a tracking number - so being dispacthed from UK. No mention on the .ie website of import charges etc. or that it was being imported from UK.

Has any else come across this?

thanks in advance,

SparrowHawk

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi All,

maybe an interesting situation....

have ordered an item from Screwfix.ie website - total value inc. VAT €52.95. Have now received an email from Parcelforce with a tracking number - so being dispacthed from UK. No mention on the .ie website of import charges etc. or that it was being imported from UK.

Has any else come across this?

thanks in advance,

SparrowHawk

See post #7.

Just realised the missus did a boots.ie order in the last few days of Dec. Paid Irish VAT and it shipped from the UK (current whereabouts of package unknown). I bet she gets stung for charges. Maybe they are organised like Amazon with a customs declaration stuck on it but somehow I doubt...
    Although on the plus side their website is still active unlike some other retailers who have stopped delivery. So we'll see I guess.

Boots would have to be registered for VAT here with all their shops.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Boots would have to be registered for VAT here with all their shops.

Yeah Irish VAT was paid on checkout. I'm just wondering what happens if it's shipped without a customs declaration of value slapped on it? Does the courier know to let certain items through from the UK such as that or will it be queried... Just have to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Similar situation. Ordered a dehumidifier from Puremate.ie

Invoice received. Not VAT showing but UK address on top of invoice. Rang them, said its being shipped from UK and awaiting customs declaration so nothing is being shipped til next week.
    Asked was there VAT charged, got a we arent registered for VAT in Ireland.

I expect given the value being in excess of 150eur it will be liable to VAT on entry.

Thinking of cancelling before it ships

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ninthlife wrote: »

Invoice received. Not VAT showing but UK address on top of invoice. Rang them, said its being shipped from UK and awaiting customs declaration so nothing is being shipped til next week.

I expect given the value being in excess of 150eur it will be liable to VAT on entry.

Vat AND duty.

Vat on over €22

Remember, the EU distance selling rules don't apply to uk stores. So you can only cancel if their own terms allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭eusap

Seems to be a lot of confusion around VAT, Duty and charges being levied

The is no customs charge from UK to Ire or vice versa (unless originating outside of EU) BUT there is a requirement to have a customs form. So many business are being caught out with this.

If the UK business has an Irish VAT number they charge Irish VAT and no issue with extra charges (but still needs a customs form)

If the UK Business has NO Irish VAT Number they should not charge UK VAT (ship 0% export) and the Irish customer is responsible to pay the VAT (Business or Personal)

Many courier companies are collecting the VAT as the customs agent and charging an admin charge on top to cover there admin.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Just realised the missus did a boots.ie order in the last few days of Dec. Paid Irish VAT and it shipped from the UK (current whereabouts of package unknown). I bet she gets stung for charges. Maybe they are organised like Amazon with a customs declaration stuck on it but somehow I doubt...
    Although on the plus side their website is still active unlike some other retailers who have stopped delivery. So we'll see I guess.

My wife got an email from boots saying that the package is delayed due to incorrect labelling. I guess the courier sent them all back to Boots.

Amazon knew that customs labels were required and were sticking them on since early Dec. Seems most other UK based companies with an Irish website presence didn't cop on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Ninthlife wrote: »

An update on this:

Company emailed telling me they were cancelling the order as the courier company had let them down badly. The item was returned to them.

They did say I could reorder if i wanted.

Problem solved for me

I hope this helps,

I'll update when I do

Did you get this? No bother with charges? I have to place an order with them and wanted to know if they got their processes sorted.

• Advertisement

MBSnr wrote: »
    My wife got an email from boots saying that the package is delayed due to incorrect labelling. I guess the courier sent them all back to Boots.

Amazon knew that customs labels were required and were sticking them on since early Dec. Seems most other UK based companies with an Irish website presence didn't cop on...

Boots.ie order arrived from UK without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I just bought a new PC from the UK via Amazon. They deducted the UK VAT

Yeah I’m interested in purchasing something on screw fix. It’s an EV charging cable costing €180, worst case how much could I get done for?

MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    Yeah I’m interested in purchasing something on screw fix. It’s an EV charging cable costing €180, worst case how much could I get done for?

Post No 2

You'll need Screwfix to tell you if its liable to duty because of its origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

My misses placed an order recently and it's showing three different € prices. One by email, one online under order details and card was charged a different € price. Very strange. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? Is this a brexit thing...
    phester28 wrote: »
    Sports Direct Ireland.
    Long story short even though the company is registered in the UK the invoice shows Vat number: IE3415318BH

So sports direct Ireland will charge you Irish vat and it should be business as usual post brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

M&MDirect.ie also shipping from the UK. DPD demanded 21% VAT for a pair of shoes I ordered almost 3 weeks ago.

I'm doing no more online shopping until all this gets clarified and sorted out so that I clearly know up front what I have to pay and don't have some courier with ambitions to be a mafia enforcer on my doorstep demanding cash to deliver my property.

touts wrote: »
    M&MDirect.ie also shipping from the UK. DPD demanded 21% VAT for a pair of shoes I ordered almost 3 weeks ago.

I'm doing no more online shopping until all this gets clarified and sorted out so that I clearly know up front what I have to pay and don't have some courier with ambitions to be a mafia enforcer on my doorstep demanding cash to deliver my property.

In fairness, DPD are doing what they have been told. Fault is with M&M.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

first thing i would ask is did she order from the ireland portal. if not then it could explain some of it.

I had no idea from the online invoice what vat was being charged. Only when I got the goods with the invoice did it show the vat rate for each product and the vat rate for the courier.

in my case childrens shoes are 0 vat adults was 21% and courier was something small dont remember exactly think it was 9% but 13.5 would sound more correct

My order started with SDIE so that may be a giveaway.

Yeah the order is SDIE.
    phester28 wrote: »
    first thing i would ask is did she order from the ireland portal. if not then it could explain some of it.

I had no idea from the online invoice what vat was being charged. Only when I got the goods with the invoice did it show the vat rate for each product and the vat rate for the courier.

in my case childrens shoes are 0 vat adults was 21% and courier was something small dont remember exactly think it was 9% but 13.5 would sound more correct

My order started with SDIE so that may be a giveaway.

• Advertisement

Feck sake. Invoice received and it has a GB VAT number. Gonna get hot with customs now. F**k.

feelings wrote: »
    Yeah the order is SDIE.

Advertisement