Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

Booked another barbers just a bit further down the road.
    Walked into them I was only customer there.

Another customer came in just as the barber was finishing up on me.

Paid and walked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

deconduo wrote: »
    +1 for Decathlon, found them brilliant to deal with.

Another +1! Dealt with their CS in both China and Taiwan, can't fault any experience I had with them, must be coming from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

NOW TV charging me after I cancelled last year. The card they were using was cancelled 4 months ago but the money was still coming out my account. Their "help" chat said there were no packages linked to my account and could not explain why they were charging me of I wasn't signed up to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Palmach wrote: »
    NOW TV charging me after I cancelled last year. The card they were using was cancelled 4 months ago but the money was still coming out my account. Their "help" chat said there were no packages linked to my account and could not explain why they were charging me of I wasn't signed up to anything.

Get your bank to do a chargeback on all the amounts and then block the DD from Now TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Absolute nightmare dealing with Geekbuying with a faulty laptop.

Order a laptop from them in February. Couple of months later the laptop display started to become corrupted.

Contacted Geekbuying support who claimed a faulty motherboard was not covered by their "warranty".

Offered €50 towards me getting it repaired myself, which is laughable for repair of a motherboard.

After quoting consumer law to them, they then insisted I had to ship the laptop to China at my own expense, even though it was originally sent from one of their European warehouses

I sent the laptop back to them and can see from An Post and China Post that the item is waiting for them to contact customs, but Geekbuying are claiming customs don't have the item.

Avoid these guys at all costs, terrible to deal with when things go wrong. Their tactic seems to delay delay delay until their "guarantee" expires after 1 year from when the goods were received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nicolaf45

Vodafone

Rang vodafone to cancel my broadband contract, I was giving them the 30 days notice. Of course they mysteriously could give me extra mgs, I am just about getting 5/6 mbps , so he was putting me through to the technical department but while I was on hold yet again, i reconsidered and said no that i did want to cancel even if the mbps were a tiny bit better over the 30 days, so i said no I would cancel, so i got off the phone and not 10 seconds later he cancelled my home phone and broadband on the spot!!! So i have been left with no phone or broadband, I rang back as I didnt know i was cut off at this stage, after over an hour on hold to different various people, they told me there was nothing they could do!!!!! That was it. I dont know what it is with telecommunications companies, they all seem to be the same, I had terrible problems with Eir too, I dont know why it cant be as seamless as when you change electricity provider, or nearly as easy as that.
    Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The best experience I had recently was in Battery World in Kimmage. Absolute gent working there. Checked the quality of my existing battery before selling me a new one, double checked all his work and made sure I had details of my warranty before leaving. "Give me a call if you've any issues", which sadly you rarely hear any more.

Boylan's Shoes off Dawson St - always top class, as are Magee around the corner.

My worst - Spirit Skoda in Sandyford - absolutely appalling customer service when I purchased a new car that had repeated issues, please avoid at all costs. Found Pilsen Skoda, and Sheehy Skoda in Naas much better to deal with.

A close second would be Compu b in Dundrum. Really sloppy, poor quality of repair, feckless attitude from staff.

In my experience the attitude of a lot of staff in customer facing roles has really dipped in recent years, and I'm paying more for companies who look after their customers better in terms of after sales etc.

hardybuck wrote: »
    In my experience the attitude of a lot of staff in customer facing roles has really dipped in recent years, and I'm paying more for companies who look after their customers better in terms of after sales etc.

A blight that has affected Dublin suburban shopping in recent years. Noticeable too in upper tier restaurants too. And the staff stick to a script even e glish speaking natives.

Amazon.

I know it's probably just "the norm" for them, but I ordered about £80 worth of stuff from Amazon (3 items, xmas gifts so was in no hurry for them). Was due to arrive with me 10 days after purchase. Never showed up, so i checked the order history and the dates changed to 'expected between' and gave themselves another week of leeway.

Still never showed up, so the order page changed to "may be lost, you can ask for a refund". I get a full refund after chatting with them for a few minutes. Low and behold, order shows up 3 days later.

I ring them back to get a return postage label (already ordered replacements) and they tell me it's grand, I can keep them for free.

Thought that was really, really good of them. Raging I already ordered replacements, but sure i'll gift them to other people instead. Was chuffed with Amazon's response, though. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Argos......Letterkenny branch specifically

I have an elderly special needs neighbour who got a Doro flip phone from Argos in June. For the last couple of weeks it's been dropping calls and not holding charge properly. As the phone is only 6 months old, it's still in warranty and needed to be replaced. Only problem is my neighbour lost her receipt.....and paid in cash so no electronic receipt.

Today I went to the Letterkenny Argos with the phone to see if anything could be done. I still had the reservation text from 6 months ago. The customer service rep in the store spent ages and went through every channel she could (and involved the store manager) to track the original sale down.

It couldn't be traced but she pushed through a replacement herself and ordered in a new phone (there was none of them in stock in Letterkenny). And she extended the hold in store as I wouldn't be able to collect it till next week.

Over and above customer support there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭SVI40

Well, I've just got off the phone with Sky. My mother has moved into a nursing home, and we needed to cancel her Sky.

They were AMAZING to deal with. So easy, very understanding, and no 31 day cancellation period.

Fair play to the Sky Ireland team, 100% kudos for their support team. They were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I ordered flooring from Woodfloor Store in Dublin on Monday (it has been out of stock everywhere since before Christmas, I phoned to see was it in and it was in that day). It was delivered this morning Wednesday, perfectly packaged and correct. And significantly cheaper than a local quote.

This was good service under any circumstances, in the current situation it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

Ryanair...do I need to say more? Talk to 5 different agents receive 5 different answers to the same query, even better-none of those answers solve anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Just had a bizaare experience with the Post Office here in England (which is funnily enough owned by Bank of Ireland). Anyway I had cash to lodge in my current account which is with a different institution- you can do that here sometimes. Got to cashier:-

PG: "Hi, just need to make a lodgement in my current acount" (card and cash in hand)
    Cashier: "Sorry what"
    PG: I need to lodge some cash
    Cashier: "Sorry can you repeat that please"
    PG: (now pulling down my mask) "I need to lodge some cash"
    Cahsier: "Sorry I have no idea what that means"
    PG:confused:
    PG: I need to make a lodgement of this cash (clearly in my hand)
    Cashier: "I am not sure what you mean. You can make a withdrawal, make a deposit, (something about cheques) etc etc"
    PG: "I am looking to make a deposit. I am looking to lodge this cash....L O D G E."

Yes I did spell it out

Cashier: "I have never heard that before in all my years here" (Now this was not some old biddy...late 20s at a push).

And we proceed with the transaction. All in good spirits.

PG: "So to lodge is not used anymore"
    Cashier: "I have never heard of that word before"
    As I am leaving she goes "I have learned a new word today"

Back at work I threw it open to the floor to 4 colleagues between the ages of 74 and 24 and they assured me that to "lodge" cash is a perfectly common expression and not just me. Weird.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BOI don't own the post office, they only handle the banking side - not even the staff.

I would have just agreed with them when they used the term deposit, rather than continue with it; but lodgement and lodge are pretty commonly used terms even in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

L1011 wrote: »
    BOI don't own the post office, they only handle the banking side - not even the staff.

I would have just agreed with them when they used the term deposit, rather than continue with it; but lodgement and lodge are pretty commonly used terms even in England.

Fine they handle the banking side.

Oh when she said deposit I said yes deposit and that triggered the cogs. It was several exchanges back and forth before she suggested deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Livingsocial.ie

Just avoid avoid avoid avoid

Worse than Eir! - seriously!

Just don't even think of using them. Your head will be fried

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

silver2020 wrote: »
    Livingsocial.ie

If they're worse than eir they need to be burnt at the stake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

silver2020 wrote: »
    Livingsocial.ie

How are they still on the go?!?? Jaysus, they've been bad news for as long as I've heard of them.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Worst: Vodafone

Best: Heavin's in Athlone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I ordered a bed from DFI beds on Saturday evening. Had the bed delivered and all by Tuesday afternoon, all the way from Northern Ireland - free delivery included! The price was the best around too.

This compared to a bed I was about to order from Mattress Mick's - approximately same price bed, but they were looking for €80 delivery to Waterford City when I got to checkout!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,805 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve never been as outrageously gobsmacked by a company as I have been just now... my mothers phone, bit the dust so I went online two nights ago and ordered her a new one... transaction went off without a hitch....

This morning the phone was due to be delivered to her, instead the only thing delivered was the following email...

Thank you for shopping at Harvey Norman

After checking with all our stores we are currently out of stock of the Samsung Galaxy A12. Our supplier is unable to give us an ETA for when we will receive these back in. For this reason we have issued you a full refund.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.​​

Thank you for shopping ? I haven’t fûckin shopped you halfwit ,I purchased something in good faith as advertised and then been told after purchasing it, having the order and ETA confirmed ( for this morning ), that you don’t have any nor ever had at the time the purchase was completed...

Into the bargain nobody from Harvey Norman has the slightest interest in informing us what IS in stock, so an alternative might have been procured...I’d be expected to go trawling through their website again hoping for the best ? would it have been too much trouble for a staff member to find out that an Sx was in stock or Jx ? So an alternative may have been chosen ? Either way Vodafone will be getting the business, they have a delivery next Tuesday and were more then helpful.. lesson learned...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Merged to Best & Worst thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

3 ‘broadband’

I think I actually broke something in my head trying to deal with their rubbish non service and rote reading customer ‘service’ scam artists in India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Can I strongly advise anyone sending flowers for Mother9Daybto avoid this group. My flowers to a friend arrived days late and looking nothing like what I had ordered. They don't answer emails and their phone number appears to be faulty.

Avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

they have 20,000 reviews on Trustpilot and an overall score of 4/5

I'll use those reviews rather than a single disgruntled customer that runs onto social media to "punish" them

Merged to best&worst/rant&praise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Can I strongly advise anyone sending flowers for Mother9Daybto avoid this group. My flowers to a friend arrived days late and looking nothing like what I had ordered. They don't answer emails and their phone number appears to be faulty.

Avoid!

My friend sent me flowers with this lot (Teleflorist - you can't see company name on mobile) and they had no water in the bouquet and the courier took 2 days to deliver instead of next day so most were dead when they arrived. Brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Caranica wrote: »
    My friend sent me flowers with this lot (Teleflorist - you can't see company name on mobile) and they had no water in the bouquet and the courier took 2 days to deliver instead of next day so most were dead when they arrived. Brutal

Isn't teleflorist just another company that sends jobs to the nearest florist? Same as interflora?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

FanadMan wrote: »
    Isn't teleflorist just another company that sends jobs to the nearest florist? Same as interflora?

No, they come from a central place in big cardboard boxes, delivered by DPD. I tweeted about my experience and had several people come back to me and say the same thing had happened to them.

Advertisement