Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maxol

Lockstep wrote: »
    Once they've decided on the people who'll be interviewed, are the exam results still relevent then? As in, do they factor into your final result or was it just for weeding people through to the CV stage.

Hard to say...I mean I guess if you scored No.1 in exams but are a complete moron ininterview then they're gonna disregard interview but realistically it's probably gonna be a combined thing. The job sim was the heighest weighted portion of the exam so they want those who have a head for a job situation so experience will be important Imho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

I would imagine that the results would still be relevant at interview stage. They would be weighted alongside qualifications, work experience etc. Although I only ranked 213 in Hr, I have two 1st class Masters degrees and few years experience. So I would welcome a supplementary application. Wishful thinking maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

phoenix999 wrote: »
    I would imagine that the results would still be relevant at interview stage. They would be weighted alongside qualifications, work experience etc. Although I only ranked 213 in Hr, I have two 1st class Masters degrees and few years experience. So I would welcome a supplementary application. Wishful thinking maybe?

Once you are at interview stage my gut feeling is:

They are not really going to care if you got one or two more multiple choice questions correct than somebody who has better qualifications and more/better experience.

I'd have thought the exam's main purpose was to reduce the numbers.

Pretty similar to me..well only one first class MA (just graduated) but 11 years experience.

Would be something badly wrong if someone with 11 years experience wasn't interviewed. I've met people who were geniuses at maths and tests but who were sadly lacking social skills and practical good sense.

• Advertisement

Yeah...here's hoping logic is prevalent in this process!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

Would be something badly wrong if someone with 11 years experience wasn't interviewed. I've met people who were geniuses at maths and tests but who were sadly lacking social skills and practical good sense.

Every role is different. For some jobs employers actually need the maths genius, and at times it would help if they were dull and boring as it wouldn't distract them from their work.

For other roles obviously different skillsets are required. For something like economics a person with a really top quality Masters etc. might be a far better candidate than someone who doesn't but still has experience - but not necessarily all good experience.

Very hard to generalise.

Yeah, pointless debate perhaps - preparing and doing your best on the day is going to be your best chance regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bij

Did anyone get a message saying sorry you have been unsuccessful? It looks like they ranked everyone so unless you are in the top 30 you don't know if you will get through to stage 3? Does the email saying you have been successful and ranked x mean that you will, at some stage, be asked to complete the application form?

I am in the 200s and was told I will get a form to fill out soon for stage 3 so who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭delricyo

From past experience, I can say with almost 100% confidence that the exam result is binned as soon as you reach interview

It's like you are starting again in a separate competition

Oh, and you can pretty much guarantee that any uploaded cv's won't be looked at. They do things their own way !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

I got just inside the top 100 for the HR and Economics campaigns (both of which I'm definitely qualified for).

I got inside the top 130 for Banking and Finance (probably not as qualified) and Tax Policy (shouldn't have clicked that box really, so I'm sure I'll be dropped for this one).

Good luck all!

bij wrote: »
    Did anyone get a message saying sorry you have been unsuccessful? It looks like they ranked everyone so unless you are in the top 30 you don't know if you will get through to stage 3? Does the email saying you have been successful and ranked x mean that you will, at some stage, be asked to complete the application form?

Yeah would love to hear if anyone was unsuccessful or did everyone 'pass'

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭sophya

Is the rank they gave you in the message the actual place you were ranked regarding everyone else. If so I am stunned, got ranked 1 for human resources and 2 for law. Course I still might screw up the interview royally

sophya wrote: »
    Is the rank they gave you in the message the actual place you were ranked regarding everyone else. If so I am stunned, got ranked 1 for human resources and 2 for law.

Wow..think it's safe to say you'll be getting an interview and most likely a job lol! Well done :-)

maxol wrote: »
    Is the rank they gave you in the message the actual place you were ranked regarding everyone else. If so I am stunned, got ranked 1 for human resources and 2 for law.

Wow..think it's safe to say you'll be getting an interview and most likely a job lol! Well done :-)

If I don't make a balls of the interview lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

CV stage is where I'll struggle then. I've a First class honour degree and stuff like the army reserves and was elected to the SU in my university but I've no masters or relevent legal experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Is the rank they gave you in the message the actual place you were ranked regarding everyone else. If so I am stunned, got ranked 1 for human resources and 2 for law. Course I still might screw up the interview royally

I presume you weren't the girl beside me at the test that filled out the wrong sheet for test 1 then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I presume you weren't the girl beside me at the test that filled out the wrong sheet for test 1 then :D
    Exactly! I'm wondering where the people who forgot their email, stood in wrong line forgot pencils calculators etc, placed. I REALLY hope they didn't pass or there's no hope for the rest of us with those geniuses about :p

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dancer656

Lockstep wrote: »
    CV stage is where I'll struggle then. I've a First class honour degree and stuff like the army reserves and was elected to the SU in my university but I've no masters or relevent legal experience.

I'm kinda similar as I have no relevant legal experience either. I have a masters degree and finishing up my second one at the moment.The thing is we're just guessing and tying ourselves up in knots.

• Advertisement

In my exam one guy came in, did all the registering sat in his seat, laid out his pencils etc then asked if it was ok to go the loo, grabbed his bag and never came back!! This was way before it actually started!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Congrats if you got a letter and commiserations if you didn't.
    The process is quite slow though , the main thing with the PAS is that they be fair and transparent with everyone , so speed of decisions is not the priority it might be in the private sector.
    On the plus side once you pass the threshold you might get a call to interview as long as the competetion if still in progress, I got a call to an EO interview about 2 years after the tests.

Also the rank in the tests makes NO difference in the final decision:)
    I brought my rank up at interview, and was looked at as if I had 2 heads.
    Its all about showing competentcies (sp) :)

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Thanks for the response

Really? That long.

Tell me. What is the working environment like? I have been in private sector for 15 years so am thinking it might be a culture shock?

Its more relaxed in my experience. I worked in the private sector (in IT) for 6/7 years before joining the CS.
    It depends a lot on your boss and what dept your in though.
    Revenue is pretty pressured for example.

Its a bit like the military in some ways though ~ "grades" , as in CO , EO , AO etcs quite important.
    Most people at AO , HEO and above are pretty with it and at least as good as any in the private sector IMHO.

I think its a great place to work. If your prepared to stand up for yourself and are ambitious there are lots of chances to improve and do good meaningful work , esp if you go in at AO grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

maxol wrote: »
    In my exam one guy came in, did all the registering sat in his seat, laid out his pencils etc then asked if it was ok to go the loo, grabbed his bag and never came back!! This was way before it actually started!
    Oh dear. Riding the porcelain truck.I would imagine! :p

Many congratulations. Did your email mention anything about the submission of CV/additional application form?

Oh yeah, Sophya what did your email say?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭billyhead

I have qualified for the interview stage and was just wondering if anyone thinks a second class honours rather then a first class honours degree will stifle my application. I have a 2.1 degree in business majoing in Finance/Accounting and I am on the final interview panel for the Economics and Finance positions. I do have a Graduate Diploma in IT from DCU aswell but that would not be relevant.

2.1 is a perfectly good degree. A Lot will come down to performance on the interview day. I think you have to do some sort of management exercise followed by the interview itself. I wouldn't worry if I was you.

My email was the same as dancer656 where they don't know the final dates yet

billyhead wrote: »
    I have qualified for the interview stage and was just wondering if anyone thinks a second class honours rather then a first class honours degree will stifle my application. I have a 2.1 degree in business majoing in Finance/Accounting and I am on the final interview panel for the Economics and Finance positions. I do have a Graduate Diploma in IT from DCU aswell but that would not be relevant.

Sorry, what did your email say exactly?

Something about Stage 3 and another writeen application form?

Something about the interview dates not being decided yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

My email for HR campaign states:
    Further to your participation at Stage 2 of the above campaign I am pleased to inform you that you have been successful at the selection tests in Croke Park and have been placed on the order of merit for the above mentioned Subcampaign.

Currently we do not have dates as to when the shortlisting/interviews will take place for this particular Subcampaign however once dates have been finalised this office will contact candidates directly

Feedback on your performance at the tests will issue towards the end of April. I would like to thank you for your participation in the selection process and wish you the best for the future.

The economics campaign has details on receiving an application form this week.

Advertisement